Tigers vs Racing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Racing

Post by jgriffin »

Wow, we have done so well in losing at home. Wow we have done so well in being dumped out of Europe. Wow we are doing so well despite our league position.
Not even a false dawn. :smt012
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:19 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Are you seriously suggesting we should have played with ball in hand more in those conditions ? :smt017
Yes. Because the kicking game is absolutely useless if you have zero chase and poor direction. We have zero chase and we either kick it straight down the throat of the opposition or directly into touch - we have over possession time and time again, and more often than not cough up a penalty on the defending of that attack.

The only time we didn't was to May when he was, on viewing the TV replays after getting back from the game, fairly competed.
We showed little to no threat in attack though, all we would have done is made a mistake and given them possession with even more territory than if we'd have kicked it, personally I think we played the conditions pretty well
Trying is whats needed. The current approach has not and will not work for us.

Racing had two to FOUR players in a row, ready for the counter attack, from the base kick.

It was blindingly obvious were we going to to this - we were completely and utterly predictable.

We'll never know though because we didn't try and we notched up another L against a french team playing Scottish conditions which honestly should have lost by 20+.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Sorry but I can't be as pleased as others are with yet another home loss. A loss to a side who didn't really have to do a great deal to win.

I can't fault the player's commitment but it's just huff and puff for 80 mins. The kicking game was rubbish too. Those long kicks, straight down the middle- why persist with that tactic? Come to think of it, what were the tactics?

Amazing to think that Youngs and Ford will be starting for England in the 6 Nations. Both class players but in awful form. I thought the forwards were OK today but these two just didn't manage the game at all. I like Ford but I don't see him as world class, give me Toby Flood in his pomp any day. Ben (right now) is a shadow of the player we all love (usually) - his box kicking today made me want to lunch something.
Last edited by POSTIGER on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 pm I’m going to go all conspiracy theorist here but does anyone else think that refs might be deliberately against us because of the Hand of Back in 2002 😂
No. Little Nigel just makes it up as he goes a long. May taken out in the air. Same as Tombstone v North. Plus not checking the knock on. Now I know perhaps he'd get he vote for common sense sometimes but you can't be out there on your own. Refs are getting bigger than the game in my view.
The knock on was checked by the TMO and deemed no knock on.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

speedski wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:31 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Yes. Because the kicking game is absolutely useless if you have zero chase and poor direction. We have zero chase and we either kick it straight down the throat of the opposition or directly into touch - we have over possession time and time again, and more often than not cough up a penalty on the defending of that attack.

The only time we didn't was to May when he was, on viewing the TV replays after getting back from the game, fairly competed.
We showed little to no threat in attack though, all we would have done is made a mistake and given them possession with even more territory than if we'd have kicked it, personally I think we played the conditions pretty well

Racing had two to FOUR players in a row, ready for the counter attack, from the base kick.

It was blindingly obvious were we going to to this - we were completely and utterly predictable.

We'll never know though because we didn't try and we notched up another L against a french team playing Scottish conditions which honestly should have lost by 20+.
You simply can't play ball in hand in those conditions without having a dominant pack though, I'm not defending MOC but I think most coaches would have told BY and GF to play territory today
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:42 pm

You simply can't play ball in hand in those conditions without having a dominant pack though, I'm not defending MOC but I think most coaches would have told BY and GF to play territory today
Yes, yes you can. We had the time, we had the space, we didn't choose the option - its takes more time and space to kick without charge down than it does to pass!

Sat here watching the wasps game on catch up, played the other end of the M69 and the back line is distributing all over the (far worse condition than ours) pitch.

Trying outweighs failing.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

speedski wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Yes, yes you can. We had the time, we had the space, we didn't choose the option - its takes more time and space to kick without charge down than it does to pass!

Sat here watching the wasps game on catch up, played the other end of the M69 and the back line is distributing all over the (far worse condition than ours) pitch.

But their pack are beating Ulsters, Ulster who have a decent backline haven't really shown much with ball in hand because they have been beaten up
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

But their pack are beating Ulsters, Ulster who have a decent backline haven't really shown much with ball in hand because they have been beaten up
Not buying it - even from a scrum with limited movement they are flinging it the backs. Anyway - they are showing willingness and trying - that's what we need. Not kicking to the opposition and letting them attack from not very deep (as the kick is so poor).
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Some good things today, the front 5 looked more like a Tigers front 5 than we have seen this season. Play like that against premiership teams and we’ll do well. O’Connor was outstanding I thought at 7, a class player who will only get better with game time.

Considering that will be the same pack that probably goes down to Gloucester minus Cole, there is a glimmer of hope.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Not if Harrison/Joe Ford play at 9/10 there isn't ! At the moment neither our 1st or 2nd choice half back pairings pose the slightest threat to the opposition . I don't mind a kicking game if it is done well but Youngs and Ford just gave the ball away time after time with utterly predictable kicks that were executed poorly . I've been a big supporter of Ben in the past but today he was awful - god knows how they get into the England side .
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:00 pm Some good things today, the front 5 looked more like a Tigers front 5 than we have seen this season. Play like that against premiership teams and we’ll do well. O’Connor was outstanding I thought at 7, a class player who will only get better with game time.

Considering that will be the same pack that probably goes down to Gloucester minus Cole, there is a glimmer of hope.
I really don't understand why we haven't been playing BOC, we look a much better side with a proper 7 on the pitch! Injury permitting i'd like to see him feature heavily from here on in with Will Evans getting some game time as well.

Today was better (aside from the first 15 mins) but I thought Racing were quite poor, Gloucester is going to be a tough game, I can't see how we're going to win that one!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

“Some of our forwards were outstanding,” said O’Connor. Not sure that particular superlative should be used without a W.

“Graham Kitchener, Harry Wells and Brendon O’ Connor were particularly good. Those guys put in a huge shift for us and that is going to be important for us moving forward, those type of performances." They were certainly better than the average, particularly BO'C imho - but it's still a long way off.

“Whenever Gareth has played for us he has been fantastic and we just need to get him a few minutes under his belt. The Anglo-Welsh Cup will give us an opportunity to do that. He should be good by the start of February to crack on through the Six Nations period.” I'm hoping this means our 10, 12, 13 will be Toomua, Owen and Tuilagi. Frankly, I'd prefer Bateman at 10 over Joe Ford!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I'd play Manu at 10 - he'd get the ball a bit more often , he won't kick it away and we might go forwards . The No 10 channel in defence will be ok as well ! . But yes , Bateman would be an alternative unless of course MOC gives young Hardwick a go .
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For Gloucester I would be hoping for

Bateman TPN Mulipola
Wells Kitchener
Williams O’Connor Kalamafoni
Harrison Toomua
Smith Tuilagi
Thompstone Holmes
Tait

Rizzo, Youngs, Cilliers, Barrow, Mapalangi, Simmons, Owen, Malouf

That team could get a result if they played out of their skin.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

I'd love to see Holmes get a go but I can't see it. He seems to be completely out of favour.