Tigers vs Racing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Racing

Post by jgriffin »

I wanted to be there because I think there us a chance of a player-led reaction to last week. Alas KO too early as at a West Mids League orienteering event in Kinver. May get home in time for streaming..
TBH we have to improve for morale, fans and players!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm Just a thought - does anyone know what time the bars are open on Sunday?????
I would suggest it's at 12:00. :smt030
BUT as Matt O'Connor has stated "Leicester Tigers have to shut out the noise!" and "The noise outside the environment is something you can't control!" then expect no pa system, a ban on chanting, no clapping or encouragement.. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42719788 :smt067

However given that directive I believe ALL Tigers should make as much noise as possible, cheer the team on, chant, clap and be the extra players the Tigers need in a tough game and prepare for the next Aviva matches. :smt038
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

As a season ticket holder , as are others, surely the key word we are forgetting to describe us is "supporters". The clue is in the name. Regardless of the current state, we all want the best for the club and the team to go out and try their best. Their best might not be what we regards as best but they are still our team and deserve our backing. Yes we all have different opinions which should be respected but a plea to get behind the boys regardless of who is on the pitch. They need our support not denigration and constant criticism which undermines confidence. Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

upandunder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:35 am As a season ticket holder , as are others, surely the key word we are forgetting to describe us is "supporters". The clue is in the name. Regardless of the current state, we all want the best for the club and the team to go out and try their best. Their best might not be what we regards as best but they are still our team and deserve our backing. Yes we all have different opinions which should be respected but a plea to get behind the boys regardless of who is on the pitch. They need our support not denigration and constant criticism which undermines confidence. Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!
Did you have relatives who played in the orchestra aboard Titanic?

I admire your loyalty. Hey, I joke because I love....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:17 pm I wanted to be there because I think there us a chance of a player-led reaction to last week. Alas KO too early as at a West Mids League orienteering event in Kinver. May get home in time for streaming..
MoC is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. He cannot win metaphorically speaking.

If he puts out the same side as last week in an attempt to keep his first choice team fresh, they'll get humped and the pressure on him will grow. If they win, people will be asking why he didn't give them a chance earlier.

If he plays his first choice team and they get humped, the players will be demoralised going into the run-in-from-hell - and the pressure on MoC will grow. If they win, it wont make a scrap of difference - its a dead rubber and he risks exposing his best players to injury.

The sad fact is, he has been the architect of his own downfall.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Roly wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:43 am
jgriffin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:17 pm I wanted to be there because I think there us a chance of a player-led reaction to last week. Alas KO too early as at a West Mids League orienteering event in Kinver. May get home in time for streaming..
MoC is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. He cannot win metaphorically speaking.

If he puts out the same side as last week in an attempt to keep his first choice team fresh, they'll get humped and the pressure on him will grow. If they win, people will be asking why he didn't give them a chance earlier.

If he plays his first choice team and they get humped, the players will be demoralised going into the run-in-from-hell - and the pressure on MoC will grow. If they win, it wont make a scrap of difference - its a dead rubber and he risks exposing his best players to injury.

The sad fact is, he has been the architect of his own downfall.
Best of those options? A first team victory (as unlikely as it may seem). They desperately need confidence and this would be a good start.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Blimey, just agreed with Roly. Nurse, medication!!!!!! :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Just to give a slightly different perspective... we were part of a fairly significant group of loyal travelling supporters who made our way to watch Tigers castration last weekend in France. Lovely trip, no complaints and we expected a weakened side. Performance awful but standard for recent European away days.

However, I must admit I'd be slightly miffed if MOC puts out a much stronger side this week. Why would he? Last week there was still a glimmer of qualification, this week there is nil. Quins treated the competition with integrity last week and MOC didn't, so why would he change this weekend? If we field a stronger team to placate the home fans against Racing what message does that send to the away supporters? Would a 0-39 reversal at home have more implications for MOC's job prospects than a 0-39 defeat to Racing in front of 18,000 or so?

MOC is not between a 'rock and a hard place' in my opinion. He is in a situation entirely of his own making. The priority isn't Racing or the Mickey Mouse cup, it is Gloucester away in 4 weeks. Win the next 3 games by 40 and lose by 1 at Kingsholm and we are at the bottom of the well.

So my message to MOC is: follow the same policy you implemented last week. Play the same team but show us your coaching skills and get them motivated and playing competitive rugby this week! And protect our key players ahead of the crunch games in mid-February that will define our season. Bigger picture: Racing means nowt, Top 6 is everything.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Would a 0-39 reversal at home have more implications for MOC's job prospects than a 0-39 defeat to Racing in front of 18,000 or so?
Sorry... re-read this and I meant more like:

Would a 0-39 reversal at home to Racing in front of 18,000 have more implications for MOC's job prospects than the 0-39 away defeat to Castres?

Apologies - I knew what I meant. NB Shame you can't edit posts. Is there no feature to do this?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

MrPartridge wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am
Would a 0-39 reversal at home have more implications for MOC's job prospects than a 0-39 defeat to Racing in front of 18,000 or so?

Apologies - I knew what I meant. NB Shame you can't edit posts. Is there no feature to do this?
Yes - if you wrote the post originally, in the top right are clickable icons - one of which is a 'pen'. Hover over this and it will confirm 'edit post'.

Click on it and it will take you to an editable version of your post and when you're happy, click 'submit'.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

@MrPartridge, he is between a rock and a hard place because if there wasn't 15,000 fans paying to watch in the flesh plus a TV audience, plus the fact Racing can still qualify, etc. I am sure MOC would rest as many players as possible. But like it or not there will be an expectation of "a performance". Yes, the situation is largely of his own making but that isn't the point being made.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

This team selection is lunacy. Europe is gone. This team won't be playing next week in the Anglo Welsh, so why risk the first team?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicester Tigers (v Racing 92, Welford Road, Sunday 1.00pm)
15 Mathew Tait
14 Nick Malouf
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Matt Toomua
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford (c)
9 Ben Youngs
1 Greg Bateman
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 Dan Cole
4 Harry Wells
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Williams
7 Brendon O’Connor
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Michele Rizzo
18 Logovi’i Mulipola
19 Mike Fitzgerald
20 Valentino Mapapalangi
21 Sam Harrison
22 Joe Ford
23 Adam Thompstone
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm Leicester Tigers (v Racing 92, Welford Road, Sunday 1.00pm)
15 Mathew Tait
14 Nick Malouf
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Matt Toomua
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford (c)
9 Ben Youngs
1 Greg Bateman
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 Dan Cole
4 Harry Wells
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Williams
7 Brendon O’Connor
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Michele Rizzo
18 Logovi’i Mulipola
19 Mike Fitzgerald
20 Valentino Mapapalangi
21 Sam Harrison
22 Joe Ford
23 Adam Thompstone
I'm on the fence -ish with regards to this selection. As I said previously, MoC can't win either way (but its his own fault) but if I had to choose between the team that got humped last week and this one, I'd go with this one - it does at least have the potential to win.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Really like the look of the forwards, would have preferred Hamilton on the bench but probably our strongest set at the moment.