Tigers vs Racing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Racing

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

In short - conceded two tries from our own mistakes. One horribly botched scrum on our own ball and another that came from a penalty after we'd already conceded a scrum. Don't compound a mistake with another.....and we did.

How the hell we managed to score from a rolling maul I have no idea at all. That's the first in a good while! In open play we didn't look like scoring a try.

The two tries aside we were excellent in defence and our line speed was good - we drove the Racing players back regularly in the tackle and BOC was excellent at the breakdown and was unlucky to get pinged, as several have pointed out already.

I don't think we can say whether they've 'turned it around' until two or three games in. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Well, in the second half, the team played with heart. They're going to need it in the run-in to the end of the season, because I can't see where a win is going to come from.

In pretty difficult conditions, it was never going to be a forum for a platform to salvation. It was better, but - the line-out still doesn't work. Aimless and inaccurate tactical kicking. The pack barely held their own. Unforced errors. Poor discipline at key moments.

Yet week after week MoC assures us they're addressing the issues.

They aren't.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

G.K wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 pm
NONAME wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 pm Reading some of the negative remarks on this forum I wonder if they are being made by Northampton Fans. Anyone at todays game could easily see that the reason we lost were 2 really poor decisions by the officials. May robbed of a certain try and O'Connor second man in, pinged. The first cost us at least 5 points and the second gave Racing 3 points.

In exceptionally poor weather conditions and against what is considered the best pack in France we did very well despite a poor first 10 minutes and after that we matched them. Our defence was excellent for most of the remaining game and despite losing one line out Taf looks a great acquisition at 2. Tait played well and Owen came through without getting injured a really big plus. On the negative side BY box kicks could have been better as so the kick chase but I was freezing in the stand with my heavy coat and blanket heaven knows how cold our backs were but despite their hands being obviously so cold we made less handing errors than Racing.

News from the dressing room is that the guys feel they have turned it around. Only time will tell but its good to hear some confidence is returning. So we now have to wait for the Gloucester game to see if we have turned the corner. Talking to a couple of Directors after the game they are still convinced we will finish Top 4, (I hope so), lets get behind the guys they need our support.
I didn't know Tigers had appointed an official team and board spin merchant.
That level of spin would make Alastair Campbell blush.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:37 am In short - conceded two tries from our own mistakes. One horribly botched scrum on our own ball and another that came from a penalty after we'd already conceded a scrum. Don't compound a mistake with another.....and we did.

How the hell we managed to score from a rolling maul I have no idea at all. That's the first in a good while! In open play we didn't look like scoring a try.

The two tries aside we were excellent in defence and our line speed was good - we drove the Racing players back regularly in the tackle and BOC was excellent at the breakdown and was unlucky to get pinged, as several have pointed out already.

I don't think we can say whether they've 'turned it around' until two or three games in. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.
God, you're as cheerful as me these days. When we've played Quins I will come to a more reasoned conclusion than my usual explosive one ":censored: stop kicking possession away".
TBH those two games (Glaws and Quins) will be the decider for the season. Lose both and frankly the club may as well sack MOC and regroup under a new DOR with a new HC (or Smurf) and a damn sight more coaches than currently.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Still issues need addressing - however some work still to do.
I cannot fault the guys for effort. The French packs are probably the heaviest in club rugby outside of South Africa. All British clubs have suffered at the hands of this. Shifting the ball away from the heavy packs is only good when you have the ball. They will always get over the gain line. Do we need to re evaluate?
At least we converted our penalties into points, why not last week?
Can we compete for the rest of Prem season? - on that performance possibly.

Will the loss of our Internationals hurt us during six nations? - possibly not
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It was noticeable at yesterday's game that the snow had quite an impact on the game earlier on, it looked very slippery, Racing's big forwards were literally sliding metres past the gain line with their weight.
As the game went on the snow melted into the turf, the Leicester defenders had a bit more grip to rush the Racing players and it evened up.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Looking back 24 hours on, I don't know why we didn't try the kick to make it 23-23? OK the conditions weren't great but they were much better at the end of the game and the goal kickers on both sides did well throughout the match. Surely England's number 10 fancied his chances. I understand the idea of going for the massive morale boosting win, but we tried a similar approach at the end of the Munster game that didn't work, albeit the kick would only have given us a LBP.

A draw took Racing out. I bet their fans breathed a sigh of relief when we decided not to go for goal. A draw actually would have been a success for us instead of another L in the result column. Racing have stars but they were there for the taking yesterday and the conditions favoured us. I don't give Racing any hope in the next round away to Clermont. We could have sent them packing yesterday.

All eyes on Gloucester in 3 weeks... going to be a long wait for that to come round!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm Top of my list would be Leo Cullen
If only!! :smt041
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I guess Nigel had his anti-english head on? How on earth he saw it right to ping BOC I am still bewildered :smt017
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I was not to well yesterday therefore chose to stay at home rather than brave the weather on the terrace. However I had the joy of being g accompanied by dear old Bleddwyn and Steve on radio Leicester (and 5 live extra believe it or not!)

AFTER the calamitous first 10 minutes it sounded like Tigers really put a shift in for once and even the rather grouchy Mr Johnson gave them much credit. However when discussing the match at length after the final whistle Bled said it was much more like the "old Tigers" ... tellingly Steve replied "yes more like the old Tigers ..except the old Tigers would have won"

I'm afraid to say I have to agree with him!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TigerCam wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:29 pm I guess Nigel had his anti-english head on? How on earth he saw it right to ping BOC I am still bewildered :smt017
Nigel Owens is not anti-English, he's by far and away, and without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best referees in the world. He is however, human and therefore, fallible.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Roly think you're half right, think he doesn't like Tigers. Watched the game live and on record twice, no spin we were robbed not just the two obvious decisions but the break down and off side laws were not applied full stop. But I guess a 3 point defeat was very good as you were predicting a comfortable Racing victory by 15-20 points.

Agree the big tests are yet to come.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Roly wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:07 pm
TigerCam wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:29 pm I guess Nigel had his anti-english head on? How on earth he saw it right to ping BOC I am still bewildered :smt017
Nigel Owens is not anti-English, he's by far and away, and without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best referees in the world.

He is however, human and therefore, fallible.
First bit - you are kidding aren't you? :smt005

Second bit - possibly. :smt047
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Pazdehod

Post by Pazdehod »

Hi everyone,

As a UK Racing supporter, 24 hours on, only two words come to mind: thank you.

Thank you for welcoming me and the other 100 or so supporters who came over from Paris that day - I only had to travel from Hertfordshire :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I know they had a great time but went home too early and therefore missed the best bit: the gig in the Final Whistle bar with many of you. I had the pleasure of swapping my Racing hat for a Tigers flag with Lou and I'll make sure I'll look after it before I bring it back home where it belongs next time we see each other.

Very sorry to see you go out but your boys put up a good fight, so thank you. Victory may have gone the other way this time round but I can assure you you should hold your head high and still be proud.

Don't give in the fight for the Premiership and good luck.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Roly wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:07 pm
Nigel Owens is not anti-English, he's by far and away, and without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best referees in the world. He is however, human and therefore, fallible.
Sorry but you are wrong, Owens made 3 terrible decisions, Johnny May was taken out in the air, minimum penalty. It was a clear knock on in goal, player knocked ball back into play to stop it going into touch in goal, he had taken ball back and had to stop it going dead by knocking it back. Brendon O Connor quite clearly won a turn over, and quite possibly he got their 2nd try wrong, I sit in Crumbie almost right over where the try wasn't scored, I saw no downward pressure from either side, live or in the replays! He makes it up as he goes and generally gets away with it, someone has to tell him he must ref as per the Laws.