ahhh yes, absolutely, a great shout
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Like to have seen more of?

Post by ellis9 »

Roly wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:08 am
ellis9 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm Just for a bit of fun, what one player that has played for Tigers do you wish you could have seen more of?

For me it's Jaco van der Westhuyzen.
Martin Castrogiovani and/or Dan Hipkiss.

But why worry, Tigers are top of their European Group and 2nd in the AP right?
Yeah, hilarious. :smt023
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Craig Newby stands out as a player who always seemed to standout whilst also making those around him play better.

Leon Lloyd may seem on odd one after 10 seasons during the clubs prime. He was an often unsung hero of those great sides though who slotted in seamlessly on either wing or outside centre and very rarely had a poor game. A player I'd take back into a Tigers 23 any day.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

I would have loved to have got a full season out of Jean de Villiers.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Manu Tuilagi.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 amManu Tuilagi.
Tom Croft! Tom Croft!
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have to agree with whoever said Josh Kronfeld.

It was a real shame he was injured (getting of the bus) in his first match and missed the season. His second sason he was awesome ... and probably the best player I ever had the privilege to watch live. Considering I had many years watching the likes of Johnson and Richards and many players all over the world from many countries I do not say this lightly. Josh was a superb player who we only saw in his twilight of his career ... if only we had had him a lot earlier and for a lot longer. Always seemed like a really nice guy also.

Just on Tony O'Rielly briefly. I know a bloke who played with him at Tigers who does not speak in a complimentary way about him. Whilst a good player, I shall be polite and say it seems he was even more impressed with himself than anyone else was.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Harry Ellis was great, such a shame his career was effectively ended by that knee injury.

Ollie Smith was also mentioned in that article about that Ospreys match. Another great talent that never fulfilled. Can't quite remember why, think his dad died and he went travelling for a bit, then went to France. I always thought he would be a regular England player.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Marika Vunibaka for one we had but couldn't use, and what about Rupeni Caucaunibuca for one that got away (or couldn't be bothered to turn up).
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Re Mightymouse's comment about tony O'Reilly: "more impressed with himself" etc. You may well be right Mm! I guess that someone who has run Heinz, Waterford Crystal, several national newspapers etc and is reported to be Ireland's first billionaire is unlikely to be a shrinking violet. By the way his Wikipedia entry is well worth a read although it makes no mention of his rugby playing time with Tigers.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

loretta wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:41 am Marika Vunibaka for one we had but couldn't use, and what about Rupeni Caucaunibuca for one that got away (or couldn't be bothered to turn up).
Add in Gareth Raynor if we are talking no shows.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

You're likely to get your wish over the next few weeks...

"Manu Tuilagi will miss out on selection for the Six Nations after England head coach Eddie Jones told the injury-plagued centre to concentrate on recapturing his very best form at Leicester Tigers." Daily Torygraph
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm

"Manu Tuilagi will miss out on selection for the Six Nations after England head coach Eddie Jones told the injury-plagued centre to concentrate on recapturing his very best form at Leicester Tigers." Daily Torygraph
Finally EJ is leaving him alone
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Finally EJ is leaving him alone
Because he knows deep down that Tuilagi's ship has sailed. And if it hasn't sailed already, and Tuilagi doesn't find form at the club (unlikely since he's going to be lucky to get the ball the way the forwards are playing), then the incumbents are going to keep him out of the England squad full stop.

Personally, I'd rather have a fit Manu playing for the club.

England have done fine without him.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For once I almost agree with you Roly, I'd rather have Manu playing for us but I'm not sure yet his ship has sailed in terms of his England career