Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Ged Glynn

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:31 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm We can see the academy has improved dramatically since his overhaul and we are generating players and more England representation after a slight barren spell.
This comment just makes very little sense because the six current players selected for England U20 were in the academy before the overhaul!
There were lots of talented players entering the academy before. The problem was the coaches at the time had an agenda and a very specific view of what a Tigers player should be and we therefore let many go and opted to develop players that have no made it to the first team. Glynn seems to have improved our development pathways, it's not about an overhaul in finding talent it's developing what we've got.

I know a lad who was a county player at age grade and on his first day with the academy the only question he got asked by a certain coach was "which school are you at?". His answer wasn't approved of because he wasn't asked anymore questions and got dropped quickly (that coach is now gone). A rugby league side offered him a contract soon after. Charlie Walker was another who was told he wasn't going to make it.

Glynn became head of operations in 2014 about the same time as he changed the academy setup. Prime development age for the current batch of England under 20 players who are all 18/19.
Four of the six U20's were already in the 16-18 academy under McCarthy, he left around the end of November 2014, the other two from the year below were involved around the junior set up at under 16.
You are suggesting that the likes of McCarthy could've been responsible for denying players opportunities, and at the same time giving credit to Glynn for players who were taken in under McCarthy! :smt017
The problem wasn't the people who went in my opinion, the problem was the Dad's involved keeping the competition away to keep their sons prospects safe!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:50 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:31 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 pm

This comment just makes very little sense because the six current players selected for England U20 were in the academy before the overhaul!
There were lots of talented players entering the academy before. The problem was the coaches at the time had an agenda and a very specific view of what a Tigers player should be and we therefore let many go and opted to develop players that have no made it to the first team. Glynn seems to have improved our development pathways, it's not about an overhaul in finding talent it's developing what we've got.

I know a lad who was a county player at age grade and on his first day with the academy the only question he got asked by a certain coach was "which school are you at?". His answer wasn't approved of because he wasn't asked anymore questions and got dropped quickly (that coach is now gone). A rugby league side offered him a contract soon after. Charlie Walker was another who was told he wasn't going to make it.

Glynn became head of operations in 2014 about the same time as he changed the academy setup. Prime development age for the current batch of England under 20 players who are all 18/19.
Four of the six U20's were already in the 16-18 academy under McCarthy, he left around the end of November 2014, the other two from the year below were involved around the junior set up at under 16.
You are suggesting that the likes of McCarthy could've been responsible for denying players opportunities, and at the same time giving credit to Glynn for players who were taken in under McCarthy! :smt017
The problem wasn't the people who went in my opinion, the problem was the Dad's involved keeping the competition away to keep their sons prospects safe!
So you agree with me then. It wasn't about the players coming in it was about the culture and the coaching that they received when they arrived.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

:smt005
You're full of it!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Allen and Brett have more for the academy than Glynn his only + was putting them there.

and McCarthy did a fair amount of ground work the main problem was keeping players and Glynn was in charge of transition at that time.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Isn't Ged Glynn a major part of recruitment. Which has been a shambles. Considering we supposedly spend as much as most other prem clubs we get so much less for our money.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Afraid McCarthy did a very poor job and managed to lose a lot of talented youngsters by falling out with many of the local schools. I won't go into great detail but the Academy set up is now producing good young players and the coaches are doing an excellent job. Good relations have again been forged with local schools and the Loughborough tie up is helping to develop skills and much needed match fitness. I would strongly urge Tigers fans to go to Oval Park and watch a game or two...you might feel a little more optimistic about the future.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

BFG mentions the Dads involved, who are these Dads? is this just an oblique reference to your opinion of the Thacker boys?
It is quite simple our Academy despite the investment and winning academy matches was not producing players that made thre progression into first team players and as Noname says we upset certain key local schools and parents anxious about their offspring's academic education. Changes have been made, they may be about to bare fruit but it takes a minimum of five years for a player to mature to the level where you can be certain he has the potential and even then you have to look to see who is ahead in the pecking order. The academy was at its most productive under Andy Key hopefully we can get that production line back.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Has anyone mentioned that Dusty is back?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 pm BFG mentions the Dads involved, who are these Dads? is this just an oblique reference to your opinion of the Thacker boys?
It is quite simple our Academy despite the investment and winning academy matches was not producing players that made thre progression into first team players and as Noname says we upset certain key local schools and parents anxious about their offspring's academic education. Changes have been made, they may be about to bare fruit but it takes a minimum of five years for a player to mature to the level where you can be certain he has the potential and even then you have to look to see who is ahead in the pecking order. The academy was at its most productive under Andy Key hopefully we can get that production line back.
Loads john, not just academy but all the way down!
Most junior sides will be run by parent coaches, they used to get involved in things on a county level and even academy in the not to distant past, the junior game needs them to function, some are good and some not so but remember an academy has actually got to be able to see boys in a good light and the coach is the first point of contact.
Thacker is an obvious one, opinion is subjective!
It's no surprise to me that Leicester are weaker up front these days, do you really think that any potentially big physical hookers were wanted around over the previous few years, or any really fast and physical centres!
Our old playing style (the new Exeter) was being undermined long before Mauger arrived, just in time for the arrival of certain young players suited in my opinion, and here we are!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 pm BFG mentions the Dads involved, who are these Dads? is this just an oblique reference to your opinion of the Thacker boys?
Most junior sides will be run by parent coaches, they used to get involved in things on a county level and even academy in the not to distant past, the junior game needs them to function, some are good and some not so but remember an academy has actually got to be able to see boys in a good light and the coach is the first point of contact.
It's no surprise to me that Leicester are weaker up front these days, do you really think that any potentially big physical hookers were wanted around over the previous few years, or any really fast and physical centres!
Our old playing style (the new Exeter) was being undermined long before Mauger arrived, just in time for the arrival of certain young players suited in my opinion, and here we are!
Things have changed in the academy in that department and i don't think Mauger style affected it that much he was only here 18 months, Mahoney certainly looks a unit and certainly our U18 academy forwards coming up are pretty big. (That being said it doesn't mean much until after U20 when you really find out who has that mental toughness) I also rate Reffell coming through i think he could be similar to Willis at wasps personally.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm
Things have changed in the academy in that department and i don't think Mauger style affected it that much he was only here 18 months, Mahoney certainly looks a unit and certainly our U18 academy forwards coming up are pretty big. (That being said it doesn't mean much until after U20 when you really find out who has that mental toughness) I also rate Reffell coming through i think he could be similar to Willis at wasps personally.
There were strong voices urging a change in style long before Mauger arrived.
He was brought in after a couple of years of pressure for more expansive rugby.
The academy itself was missing dog in it's direction in my opinion.
I do believe things would've changed with the academy and if you say, it must, and the issue has been brought to the fore by it's impact on the first team.
It's not that alone anyway, back to the OP, other recruitment and retention has been very poor in my opinion, still can't fathom Balmain and Slater more recently, top players, both with plenty of dog, Balmain was a decent up and coming prop in my opinion, aggressive, quite mobile, and a decent scrummager in a well built pack, still can't fathom it to be honest!
Poor planning if for financial reasons, poor judgment if for playing reasons, exactly the type of stuff I used to see with youngsters!