Castres vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Castres vs Tigers

Post by Stephen18 »

Spicer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 pm [quote=Tiger93 post_id=682069 time=<a href="tel:1515414441">1515414441</a> user_id=11735]
Fair enough, Traynor and Baumann it is then!

Cannot understand why Holmes isn't registered for Europe?
With Bateman and Rizzo fit again they will probably start with those two on the bench.

It very odd. Brady is registered despite being injured all season.
[/quote]
I don’t think Brady is injured anymore he played in an a league game a few weeks ago, I assume he’s also behind malouf in the pecking order like
Holmes.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 pm We're still mathematically in with a chance of winning the pool, so it would be ridiculous to field a weakened team IMO.

Wait until next week when we can't progress to rest players/try different combinations. If Racing get 4-0 points against Munster and we don't put a team anywhere near capable of getting 5 points against Castres it would just show how far Leicester Tigers have fallen. The fact that we probably won't get 5 points is irrelevant, we still need to try.

Stranger things have happened in sport,
You are right and our best performance of the season was v Castres, so there should be hope!!

Having said that I'd be ok giving Youngs/Ford/Cole a rest, and play Toomua at 10, Owen (if fit) at 12, Manu at 13. May should be fine as he's missed a few games with injury. Tait at FB, we will need his experience.
Wells must start in the pack with BOC, Hamilton and Williams IMO.
It would be terrible for morale and for the prestige of the Club if we capitulate in these last two games.
Soggypitch
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:51 pm Personally I think we should prioritise the Premiership and rest our EPS players therefore:

1 Mulipola
2 Polota-nau
3 Bateman
4 Wells
5 Kitchener
6 Dom Ryan
7 O’Connor
8 Mapapalangi
9 Shazam
10 Toomua
11 Holmes
12 Tuilagi
13 Smith
14 Malouf
15 Worth
If Holmes isn't available which is a damn shame, I'll have both Malouf and Thompstone on the wings
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

We have to rest the EPS players for the next two weeks so none of the England lads will be playing for us for the next month
Blimey...
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Better bring your brollies, boys, coz the weather forecast down here on Sunday is :censored:!
There are a few bars in the main square in the town centre which is where we'll be heading for a bit of sustenance before the game, so maybe see some of you there!
Semper in excretia
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The argument against resting players is strong. In a match that is in effect a dead rubber, the opportunity exists for the first team to put into practice what they (presumably) are meant to be doing, to demonstrate that they are worth a place, and to gain some credit for a fumble free, dominant performance.

Naive to the last. But optimistic.

More fool me.
Valhalla I am coming!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

fleabane wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 pm The argument against resting players is strong. In a match that is in effect a dead rubber, the opportunity exists for the first team to put into practice what they (presumably) are meant to be doing, to demonstrate that they are worth a place, and to gain some credit for a fumble free, dominant performance.
Could work both ways to be honest. They've had the opportunity to do that against arguably inferior opposition on Saturday and looked what happened. So maybe a bit of time off, let the body heal a bit, mentally refresh, etc. may be the better option. TBH I expect a middling option to be chosen. With perhaps a strong bench that can take advantage if Castres have an off day and/or our weakened team puts us in the game with 30/25 to go.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Castres' chances of qualifying must be slim at the most as they still have to play at Thomond Park, so they may well rest some first choice players to concentrate on the Top14, where I believe they are third. Racing, on the other hand have the better chance playing at home to Munster before going to Leicester. So with regard to Sunday 's match, I believe that Tigers will leave a few first choice players at home (Cole, B. Youngs, Ford, maybe) and give an opportunity to the likes of White and the young fly half whatsisname !
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm Castres' chances of qualifying must be slim at the most as they still have to play at Thomond Park, so they may well rest some first choice players to concentrate on the Top14, where I believe they are third. Racing, on the other hand have the better chance playing at home to Munster before going to Leicester. So with regard to Sunday 's match, I believe that Tigers will leave a few first choice players at home (Cole, B. Youngs, Ford, maybe) and give an opportunity to the likes of White and the young fly half whatsisname !
Tom Hardwick?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Crivvens wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 pm We have to rest the EPS players for the next two weeks so none of the England lads will be playing for us for the next month
Looking ahead to this weekend’s European Cup match at Castres, O’Connor is likely to make changes to the side that beat London Irish in the Aviva Premiership last week. Some of that is down to the fact that England players May, Ben Youngs, Dan Cole and George Ford are required to take a break at some stage in the coming weeks.

O’Connor explained: “Between now and the Six Nations the England contingent have to miss a game so we will look at that and see how the boys train and pull up this week.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:07 pm [quote=Crivvens post_id=682131 time=<a href="tel:1515448998">1515448998</a> user_id=1287]
We have to rest the EPS players for the next two weeks so none of the England lads will be playing for us for the next month
Looking ahead to this weekend’s European Cup match at Castres, O’Connor is likely to make changes to the side that beat London Irish in the Aviva Premiership last week. Some of that is down to the fact that England players May, Ben Youngs, Dan Cole and George Ford are required to take a break at some stage in the coming weeks.

O’Connor explained: “Between now and the Six Nations the England contingent have to miss a game so we will look at that and see how the boys train and pull up this week.
[/quote]
I think we should still put out the strongest team rest Young’s this week give Bateman another week to get match fitness then, ford and Cole next once we know for certain we’re out, I don’t know if it affects may as he got injured in the autumn internationals so missed a week cause of that, as both Farrell and Watson have only missed one game since and I doubt they’ll be rested. I still think the team need to put in performances not just take the next 4 weeks off and play the kids as I think plays like
Manu and Toomua would go backwards with time off now just when their starting to get some kind of form.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 pm I still think there is a Millionth of a chance of winning the group, it may be pie in the sky but we have to try. Even if its only for the travelling fans, we should not accept defeat yet!
I agree.

Until it is mathematically confirmed that we cannot / will not win the group rather than through a fair, and probably justified, belief that it's over, then we should be going for it. Anything else, when there is the slightest glimmer of hope, is throwing the towel in - I would find that far more unacceptable. If anyone is happy to surrender when the fight is not done and dusted, that's their choice but i'd rather that mentality wasn't by my side.

Problem is, Racing v Munster kicks off before us so by the time we kick off, Munster may have picked up points and we can't win the group irrespective of our own results and 16 points definitely won't be enough to qualify in second place. Too late to change the team to a more experimental side by then so get the big guns in for Castres.

It doesn't matter if it's 'pie in the sky' or whatever phrase those who decry or shout down any faint ember or display of hope or belief wish to use, if it definitively cannot be won after Castres (or by kick off) then there's still 3 weeks to bring fringe / younger players in before the premiership resumes, and therefore 3 weeks for the 1st team players to be rested as required (only one for the EPS guys though).

For the record, I don't believe we will secure 2 x TBP wins away against Castres and home against Racing - but I want the team to believe it's possible and try to make it so. Nor do I believe that all the other results in our group will favour us (Castres probably won't win at Thomond for example), but until they're confirmed I want the players to go all out.

What's wrong in believing?

One game at a time.
Following the military analogy of no surrender, big guns and standing shoulder to shoulder; yep, there's always hope. Keep sending men over the top at the enemy machine guns because until we run out of men there is always hope. Alternatively we can save our best troops for the battles that we have a better chance of winning and are more important to the campaign.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm Castres' chances of qualifying must be slim at the most as they still have to play at Thomond Park, so they may well rest some first choice players to concentrate on the Top14, where I believe they are third. Racing, on the other hand have the better chance playing at home to Munster before going to Leicester. So with regard to Sunday 's match, I believe that Tigers will leave a few first choice players at home (Cole, B. Youngs, Ford, maybe) and give an opportunity to the likes of White and the young fly half whatsisname !
Tom Hardwick?

That's him! I've not seen him play but he sounds like a good prospect! Why not give him a chance?
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well his kicking stats are superb but I’m not sure of his organisational play
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Place kicking in the Chris Paterson class, the rest as a 10 not startling although quite a tough nut.Would make a good 10/15 though in the Paterson mould.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.