Castres vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Castres vs Tigers

Post by Stephen18 »

I agree we have to field a stronger team, not because I think that we will qualify but because one they need to start building some confidence and two because our best players are returning from injury and need game time to get their match fitness back, the only two I would be tempted to leave out the starting line up would be Ben youngs and George ford, as I think toomua and Harrison have to get some game team together before we return to the premiership during the 6 nations, but that depends on if Owen is fit or not, and manu and Brendon need the game time. Manu is improving with each game he can’t take 4 weeks off now. As for may and Cole we should play them until England take them as they’re two of our more positive players this season.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

All the England players have to miss one of the next two games.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 pm All the England players have to miss one of the next two games.
I thought they had to miss the game the week before the 6 nations which is the anglowelsh. I can believe any team would agree to rest there internationals in Any of the last to qualifying games of the champions cup and risk not qualifying by fielding a weakened team.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 pm I still think there is a Millionth of a chance of winning the group, it may be pie in the sky but we have to try. Even if its only for the travelling fans, we should not accept defeat yet!
I agree.

Until it is mathematically confirmed that we cannot / will not win the group rather than through a fair, and probably justified, belief that it's over, then we should be going for it. Anything else, when there is the slightest glimmer of hope, is throwing the towel in - I would find that far more unacceptable. If anyone is happy to surrender when the fight is not done and dusted, that's their choice but i'd rather that mentality wasn't by my side.

Problem is, Racing v Munster kicks off before us so by the time we kick off, Munster may have picked up points and we can't win the group irrespective of our own results and 16 points definitely won't be enough to qualify in second place. Too late to change the team to a more experimental side by then so get the big guns in for Castres.

It doesn't matter if it's 'pie in the sky' or whatever phrase those who decry or shout down any faint ember or display of hope or belief wish to use, if it definitively cannot be won after Castres (or by kick off) then there's still 3 weeks to bring fringe / younger players in before the premiership resumes, and therefore 3 weeks for the 1st team players to be rested as required (only one for the EPS guys though).

For the record, I don't believe we will secure 2 x TBP wins away against Castres and home against Racing - but I want the team to believe it's possible and try to make it so. Nor do I believe that all the other results in our group will favour us (Castres probably won't win at Thomond for example), but until they're confirmed I want the players to go all out.

What's wrong in believing?

One game at a time.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It said on RL this morning that MOC will not be picking any of the England players for the next two games. It's pretty obvious the Club have given up on Europe!!
Soggypitch
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

For me I would agree with a policy of giving up on Europe and giving some players like Dan Cole a rest whilst giving others ERC experience. We play Gloucester on 10th Feb who are in fourth place, 6 points ahead of us and playing relatively well. We lose that and we are done.

I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but something doesn't seem quite right. Only those on the inside will know what is going on so I find speculation fruitless. But I think between now and Feb 10th we have to change the vibe.

The season isn't done yet but I am struggling to feel any optimism. In past seasons I've always felt we would come good but don't feel so confident this season. And whilst we have some weaknesses in the squad I'm also a bit non-plussed as I feel it is better than it's showing. Which I guess points to a deficiency in coaching. Again though I can't speculate too much on if that is the case and if it can be addressed in the next four weeks.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

I wanna see Toomua at 10 for this one. Tuilagi 12.

Few of these im hoping will be available but the competition is dead for us this season so try some combinations and give some players a chance.

1. Rizzo
2. Thacker
3. Betts
4. Wells
5. Makysimou
6. Hamilton
7. Evans
8. Mappapalangi
9. Harrison
10. Toomua
11. Holmes
12.Tuilagi
13. Tait
14. Malouf
15. Worth

Cilliers, Bateman, Polota-nau, Fitz, O'Connor, Simmonds, Owen, Thacker
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don’t think Betts is registered for Europe Tiger93
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 am It said on RL this morning that MOC will not be picking any of the England players for the next two games. It's pretty obvious the Club have given up on Europe!!
Chucked in the towel has he, we should be chucking his towel in, whats wrong waiting one more week until we know for certain?
Get rid now!
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:20 pm They have to be registered for Europe so no Raffell, Hardwick, Olowofela, Mahoney/Kerr, Lewis,
Ah my bad, I'd forgotten about the European squad registration. I'd still opt for rotation.
ghdav27 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 pm I think it would be definitely be worth giving Toomua a game at 10 with Harrison at 9. Surely that's for to be our best bet for the 6 nations period.

I'd also like to see Worth, Holmes (although last time I looked he wasn't registered), Evans, Rizzo and Wells.

We need to try and get the balance right so we are competitive and give players a chance to stick there hands up for the next few league games which are pretty key! Maybe a bit of youth will add some passion which was missing yesterday by virtually everyone other than Thacker and May.
http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/lei ... ?section=3
You're right Holmes isn't registered. Although they have Wells down at 12st 8 so they may not be the most accurate. :smt017
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Fair enough, Traynor and Baumann it is then!

Cannot understand why Holmes isn't registered for Europe?
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Tiger93 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:27 pm Fair enough, Traynor and Baumann it is then!

Cannot understand why Holmes isn't registered for Europe?
With Bateman and Rizzo fit again they will probably start with those two on the bench.

It very odd. Brady is registered despite being injured all season.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Sorry, Europe is gone. Send the Anglo Welsh team this week and next. Priority now has to be winning eight of the remaining nine League games and picking up bonus points so we finish in the top 4 in the AP. As we don't do transition seasons (copyright Simon Cohen) we must be in the playoffs again for any part of this season to be considered a success.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

we have to maintain respectability, momentum, continuity and also we need to go down fighting in Europe. I firmly believe we need our strongest side out there bar our England internationals
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

We're still mathematically in with a chance of winning the pool, so it would be ridiculous to field a weakened team IMO.

Wait until next week when we can't progress to rest players/try different combinations. If Racing get 4-0 points against Munster and we don't put a team anywhere near capable of getting 5 points against Castres it would just show how far Leicester Tigers have fallen. The fact that we probably won't get 5 points is irrelevant, we still need to try.

Stranger things have happened in sport,