League table

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger4

League table

Post by Tiger4 »

Have people looked hard at our league position, we are only 6 points off 4th spot and with the fixtures we have left this season could still see ourselves in the top 4. I know we have not performed well recently but I have to agree with MOC that we have showed improvement but can’t sustain it for 80 minutes. There is room for improvement but I do believe that we have the playing squad to get us up the table. It would help if the crowd got back behind the players on Match days, in the 40 years I have been going to Welford Road I have never found the place so flat in atmosphere, come on guys an girls get behind the players.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: League table

Post by strawclearer »

Tiger4 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 pm Have people looked hard at our league position, we are only 6 points off 4th spot and with the fixtures we have left this season could still see ourselves in the top 4. I know we have not performed well recently but I have to agree with MOC that we have showed improvement but can’t sustain it for 80 minutes. There is room for improvement but I do believe that we have the playing squad to get us up the table. It would help if the crowd got back behind the players on Match days, in the 40 years I have been going to Welford Road I have never found the place so flat in atmosphere, come on guys an girls get behind the players.
I can only speak as I saw it from the Crumbie but, today - I thought the crowd tried their best!

As far as league position is concerned, we're almost certainly going to have to beat Gloucester and Bath away and Wasps at Welford Rd. if we're going to aspire to the play-offs.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:52 pm
I can only speak as I saw it from the Crumbie but, today - I thought the crowd tried their best!
:smt023

The few games I've managed to get to this season (most recently Christmas eve's debacle) this is what I've seen too, the crowd tries but there's only so many times that you can cheer one pass, two pass, knock on, scrum visitors before you start to get frustrated and/or feel daft...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Crofty wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:25 am
strawclearer wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:52 pm
:smt023

The few games I've managed to get to this season (most recently Christmas eve's debacle) this is what I've seen too, the crowd tries but there's only so many times that you can cheer one pass, two pass, knock on, scrum visitors before you start to get frustrated and/or feel daft...
Exactly! Over the two games you refer to, me and my kids have spent over £300 on tickets alone (I'm too embarrassed to let on how much was spent on booze); we've dressed up as 'Santa & his little helpers' to get into the Xmas spirit; and we've helped out with the 'Pass the Parcel' game. We've shouted ourselves hoarse and offered good advice - totally free of charge - to players and officials!

Despite the dirge we're seeing on the pitch right now, we'll keep coming back for more. Like thousands of others - we're doing our bit!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I feel your pain, why do we do it? Must be masochistic or something, away games are even harder, took a bunch from the shipyard I work at to the match in Scotstoun last, still taking grief for it! Won't let it stop me though! :smt043
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tiger4 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 pm Have people looked hard at our league position, we are only 6 points off 4th spot and with the fixtures we have left this season could still see ourselves in the top 4. I know we have not performed well recently but I have to agree with MOC that we have showed improvement but can’t sustain it for 80 minutes. There is room for improvement but I do believe that we have the playing squad to get us up the table. It would help if the crowd got back behind the players on Match days, in the 40 years I have been going to Welford Road I have never found the place so flat in atmosphere, come on guys an girls get behind the players.
1) As I've said in another thread it's about how the team is playing not just where we are in the table/results. You would have expected things to improve as the season went on but it's not. We simply are looking underpowered, unstructured, etc. etc.

2) Scraping into 4th and getting well beaten in the semi isn't what we are aiming for. And if that becomes accepted as our level we are stuffed.
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

We may be only 6 points from 4th but on our current trend to think we can better the results of 5 teams above us is optimistic.

It is the performances recently that suggest it will be difficult to build a winning run that will scrape us into the top 4 - and as Ourla says, that is just not good enough.

Other teams are scoring more tries than us, more TBP than us meaning that 4 point wins may not be enough.
Lack of tries comes from lack of game plan, lack of execution and a clear current lack of skills (from breaking gain lines to being able to catch the ball).

If MOC is gone by tomorrow, the club needs to look at itself closely because in terms of stability, strategy, professionalism we are miles behind Exeter, Sarries, Wasps and it will continue to show on the pitch until that is sorted.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The teams above us are going to drop points when they meet each other, which they will do. So it is possible for Tigers to move up the table.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 am The teams above us are going to drop points when they meet each other, which they will do. So it is possible for Tigers to move up the table.
However on current form it is difficult to see where Tigers wins will come from, they can't play London Irish every week.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

League position don't lie. We are where we are on merit
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Good call Tiger4......
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
beech

Post by beech »

I wonder if some of the comments in this thread should be revised. KEEP THE FAITH.
tf22
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Two bonus point home wins should probably do the job now with the way the other fixtures are. Be nice to be assured of top four prior to the Sale match that is for sure. Hard place to win at. Win all three and looks like Sarries away on our new favourite pitch. :smt002
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I’ve looked at the comments made in January (none are mine) and I don’t see why any should be adjusted. They represent where we were and the frustrations of those who made the posts at the time. We were awful. I went to Castres and MOC effectively disrespected the faithful supporters who made that trip by playing a B team and throwing in the towel. If MOC had been sacked after the Racing loss it would have been on par with the decision to part company with Cockers.

The run of wins has been brilliant. I thought top 6 was beyond us and now top 3 looks on. But what interests me is the reason for the dramatic turnaround? The team hasn’t changed much. Our style of rugby isn’t radically different from January. The scrappy win over Quins gave us belief and the appointment of a forwards coach in February seems to have been a game changer. MOC is one lucky boy IMHO.

Looking back now on Tigers season with ‘outcome bias’ is ridiculous. It’s like saying Man U fans who left the Etihad at half time yesterday are idiots. Unless you are Mystic Meg or Uri Geller or Nostradamus you can only judge the data in front of you at the time!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MrPartridge wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 am I’ve looked at the comments made in January (none are mine) and I don’t see why any should be adjusted. They represent where we were and the frustrations of those who made the posts at the time. We were awful. I went to Castres and MOC effectively disrespected the faithful supporters who made that trip by playing a B team and throwing in the towel. If MOC had been sacked after the Racing loss it would have been on par with the decision to part company with Cockers.

The run of wins has been brilliant. I thought top 6 was beyond us and now top 3 looks on. But what interests me is the reason for the dramatic turnaround? The team hasn’t changed much. Our style of rugby isn’t radically different from January. The scrappy win over Quins gave us belief and the appointment of a forwards coach in February seems to have been a game changer. MOC is one lucky boy IMHO.

Looking back now on Tigers season with ‘outcome bias’ is ridiculous. It’s like saying Man U fans who left the Etihad at half time yesterday are idiots. Unless you are Mystic Meg or Uri Geller or Nostradamus you can only judge the data in front of you at the time!
this :smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni