The Laws are rapidly disappearing it seems.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

The Laws are rapidly disappearing it seems.

Post by jgriffin »

Watching the Wuss game. Bath in particular stringing together long sequences of ball in hand but much retention is aided by players on their knees interfering, players diving headlong to seal the ball off, tacklers interfering continuously and not rolling away yet the defence only has to twitch and they're penalised. Just seen a blatant obstruction, unpenalised.
The ref is JP.
and I'm not surprised players are getting more and more injuries - as Jamie Roberts pointed out, with the new largesse, they're having to make 50% more tackles - I'd suspect more than that. The game is becoming more telegenic, more one-sided in many ways, and less RU IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: The Laws are rapidly disappearing it seems.

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:24 pm Watching the Wuss game. Bath in particular stringing together long sequences of ball in hand but much retention is aided by players on their knees interfering, players diving headlong to seal the ball off, tacklers interfering continuously and not rolling away yet the defence only has to twitch and they're penalised. Just seen a blatant obstruction, unpenalised.
The ref is JP.
and I'm not surprised players are getting more and more injuries - as Jamie Roberts pointed out, with the new largesse, they're having to make 50% more tackles - I'd suspect more than that. The game is becoming more telegenic, more one-sided in many ways, and less RU IMO.
Like!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:24 pm Watching the Wuss game. Bath in particular stringing together long sequences of ball in hand but much retention is aided by players on their knees interfering, players diving headlong to seal the ball off, tacklers interfering continuously and not rolling away yet the defence only has to twitch and they're penalised. Just seen a blatant obstruction, unpenalised.
The ref is JP.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

There should have been a yellow card for Bath for slowing the ball down 10 metres out during the last play before time. Deliberately done by Bath.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

The ref is JP.
If the obstruction was the Mercer block on Pennell then it was not obstruction Mercer can keep his line. I do wonder if Pennell may get cited for clumsy fingers in Garvey's eyes?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerCam wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:34 pm
The ref is JP.
If the obstruction was the Mercer block on Pennell then it was not obstruction Mercer can keep his line. I do wonder if Pennell may get cited for clumsy fingers in Garvey's eyes?
I saw that too
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:37 pm
TigerCam wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:34 pm
I saw that too
What was the clock at the time?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

It seems to me that these changes have made defending teams knackered more quickly, and enabled ball retention too much. Hence the cricket scores in many second halves, as the game opens up. I wonder if critics of our play and fitness watch other games where similar issues crop up.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.