Over Reaction to Defeats

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Over Reaction to Defeats

Post by LE18 »

I think the Captain was correct to turn down the kicks at goal. There were only 13 mins remaining, he consulted with the forwards, we were confident we would not lose the game, we were, at that moment in time, we had the momentum and every player thought we could get the 2 tries and 5 points, we would not lose! He gambled but it did not work out, we got the one extra try not 2 but still won a dire game. LI never really looked like scoring, apart from the gift we gave them, until we gifted them a second.
LI certainly know how to waste time, 52 minutes for the first half alone.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

So by the type of analysis some on here were producing at the start of the season we must be better than Wasps, who went down 15:38 to Sarries, compared to our 17:29.

I hated the performance yesterday - and have been saying for some time this season that something isn't right in the squad and especially with our forward play. But yesterday it was everywhere on the park... We looked lost.

And yet....We were on a par with Sarries for the first 50 or so, had Sandy Park like a morgue for a similar period and narrowly lost to Wasps with practically the last move of the game. Is that the basis for sacking a Head Coach? Not in my book, but its about more than that. It's about performance, attitude and expectation - if MoC has lost the dressing room, those factors wnt improve but we may yet struggle through to a top six, even a four finish. And then like last season, who knows? With a few notable changes this is essentially the team that lost that Semi (or a clear upgrade), so is it all still to play for.

Much as I'm hugely disgruntled the sane policy for now is to stick with MoC, give him his chance in full....unless the dressing room is lost and beyond repair without clear action including a change in personnel.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

If you look at the performances of the top clubs though Tigers seem to be on a downward track. Other teams look to be gathering strength.

Even in defeat Wasps seemed to show more spirit than Tigers, together with more teamwork, better organisation and real threats.

Tigers are playing at a level that is less than the sum of the parts, and I can't see where the catalyst for change will come.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:30 pm I think the Captain was correct to turn down the kicks at goal. There were only 13 mins remaining, he consulted with the forwards, we were confident we would not lose the game, we were, at that moment in time, we had the momentum and every player thought we could get the 2 tries and 5 points, we would not lose! He gambled but it did not work out, we got the one extra try not 2 but still won a dire game. LI never really looked like scoring, apart from the gift we gave them, until we gifted them a second.
Sorry - but we kicked to the corner for three penalties. We didn't score from any of them. The try you refer to is from a different phase.

The number of tries scored this season from the 5m line maul this year can be counted on less than one hand.

Choosing another mid-table team, had we been playing Newcastle for example would we have still gone to the corner when 4 points up? Of course not - we only did what we did because it was LI and the team knew anything less than TBP was not good enough.

We didn't. And its totally not good enough.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

gingertiger47 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pmExeter have no hotel,
Errrrrrrm, soon will have though, clearly though, vanity projects are not the way ahead for rugby clubs.

https://www.exeterchamber.co.uk/blog/20 ... l-approved
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The whole Sandy Park area is being massively developed including the fields you can see to the East as housing and amenities.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:30 pm I think the Captain was correct to turn down the kicks at goal. There were only 13 mins remaining, he consulted with the forwards, we were confident we would not lose the game, we were, at that moment in time, we had the momentum and every player thought we could get the 2 tries and 5 points, we would not lose! He gambled but it did not work out, we got the one extra try not 2 but still won a dire game. LI never really looked like scoring, apart from the gift we gave them, until we gifted them a second.
Where did I say we got the extra try from the 5 mtr lineouts? I said we got the extra try. I still say he was right in the circumstances to go for the corner, penalties would not have gained us any extra points, and at that point we had momentum and didnt look like losing!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Does the OP still think we are over reacting? The sad truth is that Tigers have been in decline for several years, that has only accelerated with MoC, need to fail fast here.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Anyone who thinks we are all overreacting have been on Dai's Remy. :smt030
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm Anyone who thinks we are all overreacting have been on Dai's Remy. :smt030
That's where it went!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

G.K wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:10 pm Does the OP still think we are over reacting? The sad truth is that Tigers have been in decline for several years, that has only accelerated with MoC, need to fail fast here.
Yet when I say it, its a WUM....

Anyone who thinks Tigers aren't in decline and have been for years is deluded.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

If we accept that Tigers has been in decline for a number of years (that European semi-final in Cardiff was the last pinnacle for me) then it is surely likely to take several years to regain our prior status, if at all, so why not start now. I feel our players are capable of performing better but appear to have no belief in their leaders. Time to replace those leaders now and not let the rot linger on.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 am If we accept that Tigers has been in decline for a number of years (that European semi-final in Cardiff was the last pinnacle for me) then it is surely likely to take several years to regain our prior status, if at all, so why not start now. I feel our players are capable of performing better but appear to have no belief in their leaders. Time to replace those leaders now and not let the rot linger on.
Root and branch clear out is what's required.

So that Tigers can 'leave no stone unturned' in their search for top quality coaching staff. Forget the coaching staff - half the players are lucky they're still there - any decent club with ambition would have decimated the players that Tigers cling stubbornly to out of a misguided sense of loyalty (its the only explanation for such unnecessary miss management) years ago.
Last edited by Roly on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Wonder what Brad Thorn is doing? We could do with a leader.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:47 am Wonder what Brad Thorn is doing? We could do with a leader.
It doesn't seem to matter who is available, the board only seem interested in hiring Mickey Mouse.