Over Reaction to Defeats

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Over Reaction to Defeats

Post by dunc »

The recent run of form has prompted quite an extreme reaction on here but actually taking matches against Wasps, Saracens, Exeter and Munster in isolation they are games that no team would go into expecting to win. It is unfortunate that these games have come back to back but we really shouldn't panic and over react.

Where we need to get better is closing out the games that we should be expecting to win. In particular the Bath, Saints and Worcester games this year have really cost us. Had we won those games then we would currently be lying joint 2nd in the table. Given that 2 of those games came at the start of the season when the team was still forming and 1 around the international period and during a mini injury crisis there are mitigating circumstances here that don't excuse the defeats but help to explain them.

Looking at the fixtures this weekend it is not inconceivable that we will be back in 5th place come Sunday night.

So in summary can we please get a sense of perspective we are building a great team, this process isn't complete and won't be for some time. We have had some bad results but also some good ones(Exeter, Gloucester, Castres) and I'm still sure that at the business end of the season we will be in the mix for the Premiership.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Over Reaction to Defeats

Post by dunc »

Also I'm not sure why we have completely written off Europe. We are not yet out of Europe.

If we get 2 BP wins we would be on 16.
If Munster lose both games and get no BP they would be on 15.
If Racing beat Munster and lose to us and get no BPs they would be on 15
If Castres beat Munster and lose to us they would be on 13 at most
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

There is always overreaction to results dunc, but I think that given the fixtures still to come there is a concern around Premiership form.
I hear what you are saying about Europe, but does anyone actually believe that Leicester can win it outright!
Premiership form is the big concern, so should they let Europe go and focus on the League!
February see's Leicester travel to Gloucester and Saracens.
Then tough away fixtures at Worcester, Bath and Sale still remain.
My disappointment is around the two home defeats during December, first against Munster and then against a Saracens side that was missing several key players!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I can't speak for others but for me it's not just the number of defeats but the way that the team is paying that is drawing frustration. Set pieces are shambolic, with the exception of the scrum, and our open play in the attack is lacking penetration and is far too often ended by a meek coughing up of the ball in a tackle, a dropped pass, or an unnecessary penalty given away mindlessly (or by an isolated player).

The players doing this haven't always done this and are of sufficient level that they can reasonably be expected not to do these things under normal circumstances so something must be amiss to cause it. My hypothesis, and that of other "over-reactors" as best as I can see, is that there must be something in the coaching that's doing it, either a lack of work ethic in week out confusing or contradictory messages about strategy, plans of attack and patterns. Something has to change or we'll keep "just losing" games until we "just lose" our way out of the Champions Cup and Premiership play off places we've come to expect (it might be an over-reaction to state "just lose" enough games and you're out of the Premiership, but ask the likes of Worcester, Bristol and Irish, they know it can be done).
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think there sometimes is an overreaction but sometimes it is justified.

And as the last fella some of it is about performance and attitude rather than purely the result.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

We have lost the last 4 games, but who were we playing?

1, Two games against arguably the best team in the Celtic league.
2, The |Aviva Champions of 2015/2016.
3. The current Aviva champions.

No the time to get worried is if we fail to get maximum points against the league's bottom club.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Can’t disagree with the above post. Any pragmatist would probably have noted them before the season started as losses. If we fail to make the top 4, it will be because of losses to Worcester and Bath at home rather than the recent defeats.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Trust Noddy to be underwhelmed by over-reaction - but he's right! :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 pm Can’t disagree with the above post. Any pragmatist would probably have noted them before the season started as losses. If we fail to make the top 4, it will be because of losses to Worcester and Bath at home rather than the recent defeats.
This is the issue. Two losses that should not have happened (not mentioning Munster). The team seems to unravel alarmingly at times and even look like a pub car park meet-up side.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Massive difference between losing and meekly surrendering and Munster are nowhere near the top Celtic team!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Munster and Embra have the same win loss record
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

At least we’ve not been smashed at home in Europe neither did Saracens target Manu’s knee again so minor consolations. Worcester incredibly frustrates me considering even the poor way we were playing we should have got the penalty try and bonus point
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Are we not also joint last with TBP this season which is pathatic with that back line!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tigers should expect to win all home games.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'd say it's less an overreaction to defeats more a justifiable reaction to some truly rudderless performances.

It's not the losses, it's the manner in which are losing that upsets many; we haven't even been close (not really) in those games. I think fans have got every right to express their dissatisfaction.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play