Season ticket renewals - or not?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Season ticket renewals - or not?

Post by scrum1/2 »

There have been many recent posts around the team, management and style of play, but am I alone in being really torn as to whether to renew my long held season tickets (yes we are on the wall in the Final Whistle area) for next season based not just solely on the above but also, if not more, based on;

- I know that the club is now fully "professional" but I think over the last few years it has lost touch with the fans and examples of this are the informal "members" evenings that we used to have in the European suite where the players were "interviewed" and then mixed with the fans, the open days before the season where you could also meet the players informally. These have been replaced by larger far more formal events that cost much more. I think this has lessened the family feel the club used to have, in my view to it's detriment

- The changing schedules - examples Christmas and New Years Eve games, increasing numbers of Sunday and Friday night games due to TV money - I'm not suggesting all games can or should be held on Saturday at 3pm - but there has to be a balance and right now I buy my tickets up front without knowing whether I'll be able to make the dates that the TV shows dictate.

- Game etiquette - I groan when I see the 2 pint mugs go past me at the starts of each half as I know that there will be a number of people getting up during the game to answer the call of nature - we are not as bad as Twickenham for this yet but it is getting there and people don't wait for a break in play to either go or come back so numerous people are affected each time

- Ticket availability - when the ground had a smaller capacity it was good to get a season ticket to ensure good seats but now with the capacity increasing it's easier to get tickets for games

Any thoughts?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Season ticket renewals - or not ...?

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Its a choice you and only you can make. I gave up.mine last season due to work commitments so pick and choose my games. But i wouldnt have renewed next season anyway until i knew a clear direction the board were going in,its been a near 5 year downhill slide and i.admire every single fan who stuck through it,i know die hard many year ST holders who havnt renewed and i wont have a bad word said against them! Enough is enough for some people now imo.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

scrum1/2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm There have been many recent posts around the team, management and style of play, but am I alone in being really torn as to whether to renew my long held season tickets (yes we are on the wall in the Final Whistle area) for next season based not just solely on the above but also, if not more, based on;

- I know that the club is now fully "professional" but I think over the last few years it has lost touch with the fans and examples of this are the informal "members" evenings that we used to have in the European suite where the players were "interviewed" and then mixed with the fans, the open days before the season where you could also meet the players informally. These have been replaced by larger far more formal events that cost much more. I think this has lessened the family feel the club used to have, in my view to it's detriment

- The changing schedules - examples Christmas and New Years Eve games, increasing numbers of Sunday and Friday night games due to TV money - I'm not suggesting all games can or should be held on Saturday at 3pm - but there has to be a balance and right now I buy my tickets up front without knowing whether I'll be able to make the dates that the TV shows dictate.

- Game etiquette - I groan when I see the 2 pint mugs go past me at the starts of each half as I know that there will be a number of people getting up during the game to answer the call of nature - we are not as bad as Twickenham for this yet but it is getting there and people don't wait for a break in play to either go or come back so numerous people are affected each time

- Ticket availability - when the ground had a smaller capacity it was good to get a season ticket to ensure good seats but now with the capacity increasing it's easier to get tickets for games

Any thoughts?
Yes you do raise several interesting points as we go into the second part of a very trying season with injuries, performance and skill capability all in question.
However I strongly recommend that you and as many real Tiger fans book and attend the free
Club Open Forum " event on Tuesday 13th February with Simon Cohen, Matt O'Connor & Ged Glynn with the coaches in attendance too. - https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/jo ... e-new-year
I attended several events and they were frank and open discussions on the problems then and yes many are still here despite the Managerial changes but the fans were listened to and this is the way Tigers should respond to the fans concerns with discussion and suggestions from the floor. :smt023
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Why spend your hard earned money on watching a club in free fall...I live in Newcastle at present but if I was spending money to watch Tigers I would find it very hard to take...its bad enough watching them on TV...many people will see it as being unloyal etc but whilst the board keep making such awful mistakes they deserve to fail...the hiring of MOC was just shameful

Vote with your feet I say and hopefully we can see some changes!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Cant make the forum,gutted! Im on nights and have fixed holidays with only 6 floating days so have to be careful. If anyone is going could they please put a thread up beforehand and maybe posters could post some questions,it would be up to the person to pick which ones to ask,good idea? I want the Ackermann/consultancy firm question asked and i wouldve had the bottle to ask it,these forums,are usually fixed with attendees vetted. Is it really an open forum?
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

At present I certainly intend to leave renewing my season tickets until the last day or so, it will send the slightest of messages that fans not chomping at the bit to renew early like good little cash Tigers. It's to early in the season and under MOC's tenure to not renew.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

There are 4 of us in our group who are cancelling our Direct Debits with another 2 still pondering. We are all in the most expensive seats section.
We have all been ST holders since around 2000 so have had some very good days with Tigers and went to watch as some of our Tigers lift the World Cup in 2003 in Sydney.
We are not casual supporters and only bought ST's when we realised it would be more economic than buying individual tickets for individual games.
Tigers decline has been since Mr Cohen appeared and the great emphasis on commercial expansion rather than what had got Tigers to where it was when he started altering the direction of the Club.
Just look at the decline always promising 'jam tomorrow' - well I've now had enough of empty aspirations and platitudes from our club.
We are not racked with injuries this season so that can't be used as a reason.
Enough of waiting for improvement in playing performance
Enough of current poor performances resulting in our worst run of failures for over 50 years!
Enough of un-friendly KO times - e.g - Sunday at 5.30! - Sundays at all!
Enough that since the CAT / NEXT stand was opened the Final Whistle bar service at busy games has always been terribly slow and is NOT improving. It is not acceptable to have to wait 25 minutes to get served before a game.
Enough of franchising out the bars / catering if Tigers are a commercial operation?
Enough of being treated as cash cows to be milked dry without being fed with the temptation to make us keep returning and spending our hard earned watching dire displays of rugby at our home ground where we have been used to mostly home wins.
Enough of hearing about expansion, Hotels etc. at the expense of the Core values of how we have got to where they are today.
Enough of hearing that a Top 4 place is acceptable. We want to be TOP.
Enough that the Welford Road Fortress hasn't got the willingness to defend it
Enough is Enough Mr Cohen.
SORT IT or SHIP OUT & QUICKLY
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

You do realise that kickoffs are all to do with BT and the RFU, not us
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Without the commercial element, the finances will not be available to use for players, training improvements.
A good business model is required now that we are in the professional era. We need to move with the times and accept that there will be change which we may not like or agree with. People have invested heavily in the Club and I am sure that they will be lookijng to protect and development their investments rather than letting it slip.
As Simon Cohen has said previously, there are seperate budgets for the playing side and ground development.
Had they not bought the Granby Halls, this would have just become another housing development. A hotel and car park will bring jobs to the area and also bring in some revenue to the Club.
The catering has been contracted out and It has been said that this is difficult to change....hopefully there is not too much longer for it to run.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes Tigerbeat but where has been the investment in local glass root clubs. Wasps have snooped a few clubs up now under your noses.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I'm going to resign.

Oops, meant re-sign........ :smt002 :smt003

But then, I'm local and don't incur huge travel time/expense.

Despite a run of poor results of late, and some less than dazzling performances over a few seasons now, I enjoy (in the main) my time at WR on match days - and the occasional away game I can make it to (not ST related I know) being able to meet up and chat with like minded (grumbling) punters.

Standing on the terrace is still fun for me and less expensive than seats. Comparatively, it's a bit less fun than previously right now but that's part and parcel of the decision to attend.

No guarantees but plenty of expectation......with a dash of hope, but hopefully not dashed hopes :smt002

Tigers are my team, the only team for me, through thick and (very) thin times, if others wish to change allegiance or refrain from renewing / attending - for whatever reason, in protest or due to a myriad of circumstances - then fair play and good luck to them.

Each to their own.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

We won't be renewing this year, mainly due to the rearranged kick off times/days meaning we can't get the train to and/or from the game (we live in the county). Driving into the city, fighting to park and fighting to get out is not the way to spend a Sunday in our book.

We fully understand the need to change the kick off times to maximise TV revenue but it just doesn't work for us, so we will be picking and choosing mostly 3pm Saturday games.

We thoroughly enjoy standing on the terrace and will continue to support Tigers, just not as often as we would like.