Captain?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger Cub

Captain?

Post by 1988 »

Tom youngs is not up to the job of on field captain. Plenty if other players whow would better communicate with the ref and lead a team.

Tamoua. Ford. Ben youngs.
However my choice would be Dan Cole on the pitch most of the game. ....in and around the ref..... Leicester through and through
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Captain?

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Dan Cole isn’t vocal enough. For me if he was fit I would pick Brendon O’Connor, was captain of the NZ team he came from. Also for Barrow and T Youngs as leaders in the pack with Toomua and Ford for the backs.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

O'Connor and Toomua are very strong shouts.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BO'C for a regular starting spot and the armband for me.

As for longer term - Dom Barrow was Captain for England at U16 and U18. 1st-team debut as a teen in 10/11 season in the ERChallengeCup. Part of England U20s squad that won the World Juniors title. Shortlisted for Yng Player & Newcomer of the Year in 15/16 + Player of the Year 16/17. Needs a Forwards Coach and he'll come good both as a lock and captain imho!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Captain? Captain? Captain? What about the pirate off the Captain Morgan advert? He would do a better job than our shower 😂
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Dave?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think if Barrow hadn't of crooked his neck before Worcester I reckon he would have been all over the ref and we would have got that penalty try and a TMO look at the Fasooliva no arms tackle
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hamilton?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:45 pm Captain Morgan
Wrong shaped ball in this City
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Drixtonian

Post by Drixtonian »

There are exceptions, but in my view front row players struggle to be good captains because they cannot see enough of the game. The ideal captain has to be in the backs, and preferably playing at full back - if that player has the qualities required.

There's a key role for a pack leader which seems to be lacking at present so they look like a bunch of individuals trying their best. Someone needs to step up and fill that vacancy. And, each time there's a stoppage the leaders on the field should gather the troops and focus their minds on the next move be it scrum, line-out, penalty or whatever. Packs in articular should not be left to stand around day dreaming.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Please not a scrum-half, often too chopsy and annoy the ref (generically)

Not a Full Back (or by association a winger) - too far from most of the action (I know Murphy will be offered as an exception to this)

Not a front rower - again, I know there are exceptions but with heads stuck in scrums they don't always see what's going on (except Hartley who spends scrum time popped up :smt002).

I know it's probably a bit dated but I still prefer a declared captain to be in the backs with a pack leader (real captain :smt002 ) running the forwards.

10/12 possibly 13 the best bets, so from our current lot, Matt Toomua - experience, ability and credibility (most of the time).

If it were to be a forward, Brendan O'Connor (experience and brains) or, longer term - injury permitting - Barrow (shows promise/ability, brawn and usually leads by example - a little 'loose cannon' at time but hey, some of the best are).

That's not to say that players in any position couldn't / doesn't have the attributes, just my musings.

Ultimately it has to be someone who wants it, is credible, can be respected and can show others the way through leading by example.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Drixtonian wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 pm There are exceptions, but in my view front row players struggle to be good captains because they cannot see enough of the game. The ideal captain has to be in the backs, and preferably playing at full back - if that player has the qualities required.

There's a key role for a pack leader which seems to be lacking at present so they look like a bunch of individuals trying their best. Someone needs to step up and fill that vacancy. And, each time there's a stoppage the leaders on the field should gather the troops and focus their minds on the next move be it scrum, line-out, penalty or whatever. Packs in articular should not be left to stand around day dreaming.
How was Tait as captain when he stood in for Slater?
Drixtonian

Post by Drixtonian »

OK, perhaps I was thinking too much about the captaincy of Geordan Murphy and I did say "if they have the qualities required". But I still believe the captain should be in the backs, and I agree that most scrum halves can be a little too "talkative". It is a fine line between getting in the ear of the ref and getting up the nose of the ref.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Often it is 2nd rows interestingly that have been the outstanding skippers...Johnson, Eales, Mcbride, Beaumont, Meads. However I think back row is the best place to captain from, being involved in all aspects of the game..... McCaw, Dallaglio, Warburton, M. Davies, Harinordoquy, Rives
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

BOC doesnt even get a shout for the starting team anymore but he'd be great.

Dan Cole gave the game away vs munster at home and is not a captain.

Ed slater would have been good had he stayed.

Ford probably the best shout although he disapears for international.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'