Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for London Irish

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:36 pm Stop saying that about Ackermann jgriffin,stop making me cry!
Sorry, it makes me a bit weepy too. :smt010
But do you think that Ackermann would keep the likes of Evans and Thacker, given that he values aggression and muscle up front, and the bigger the better?
Genuine question!
My opinion is that any small players, physically lacking players, the weak minded and cliques would be ruthlessly gone under Ackermann!
Perhaps that is what is needed!
MOC is well capable of it, but perhaps understands the local politics a little better and given it a chance before the big cull, which could've been to his detriment so far!
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Having read the recent posts I must say I'm amazed that MOC is it seems solely responsible for our current display. Did he cause the turnover that lead to Exeter's first try, was he responsible for Jonny Mays tap back into the hands of the opposition, did he cause Manu to knock the ball on...I could continue.

The main question was the team prepared for this encounter, well it seems to me that for the first half it was neck and neck and with some good fortune, a thing that Tigers don't seem to be getting at the moment, we could have gone in ahead. The second half was different, a chance for Tigers to score, lead to a turnover and Exeter raced up the field to score. We did not give up but it was clear the sheer physicality of the Exeter pack was taking its toll. Just compare the weight and size of the Exeter forwards to ours. Is it MOC fault we have a smaller more athletic pack? Has he done anything to change it...well it looks like TPN is going to be a good signing and didn't he sign Jonny May he's scored a try or two. WAIT AND SEE WHO HE SIGNS NEXT!!!

Finally, who has been the most successful team in 2017 by a mile, Exeter and when was their last home defeat?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tigers have lost the last six games and are getting heavily criticised, rightly or wrongly. The last 6 games, barring Worcester were against teams that were always expected to be a battle. Munster, Wasps (A), Saracens and Exeter (A) is a tough set of games.
Had we been playing Worcester, London Irish, Sale, Newcastle, Gloucester and Quins and lost them all, the criticism would be greatly justified.
Wasps and Exeter, away, were always going to be tough games and so it materialised.
Saracens seem to have our number and we made a slow start.
Getting a few players back from injury may help the cause but it is going to be an interesting second half of the season.
Fully expecting to see a good win on Saturday.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

BFG crazy talk! Hes lost all his games when skillful players have been binned and hes played useless lumps! You really do have a problem mate 😂
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ok,i apologise BOC and Evans did play as well as Thacker v Wuss but if you remember we lost that because of the worse halfback performance ive ever seen,Joe Ford was awful. We never lost that match because of small,weak players,absolute nonsense! I respect your opinio BFG but youve got a real problem with size for some reason. As for Ackermann,yes he mightve got rid of the click,the senior players who are killing us!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Have you stopped to consider one reason Cockers went, 'senior players' and one or two BoD members didn't like the 'no favourites' approach i.e. a clique was involved? I am also concerned that the hapless AM was seen as improving the side....we were 5th AFAIK when Cockers went? We ended up not much better off, but enough to reach the pay-offs - the AWC was GM largely? TBH we need more and better coaches in 2012-13 onwards.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Its all strange to me! It looks like the Southern Hemisphere click got their wish getting Mauger and maybe the NH senior click got their own back with MOC,the disgraceful treatment of AM certainly points to that. Maybe theres infighting,maybe its worse than we thought. I know AM is quite pragmatic for a Kiwi but i wouldve loved to have seen this backline under him. He definitely shouldve been given at least a season imo!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker, or should I say Scott, Ackermann would bounce weak players out the door quicker than a doorman at the local fight club!
Why have Gloucester improved, because they know that if they don't then they are gone and someone who can will come in instead!
Reputation and name would count for absolutely nothing, which Leicester has a little bit too much of currently!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Im agreeing with you BFG! Just saying you are highlighting the wrong "weak" players 😉 and you are highlighting mine and others points perfectly about MOC and the senior cant do no wrong players click! New broom was needed! Theres something seriously wrong imo,chewbacca was right the club is broken
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm Im agreeing with you BFG! Just saying you are highlighting the wrong "weak" players 😉
That would be for Ackemann to decide wouldn't it, as I'm sure MOC will himself and is likely in that process currently!
A new broom sounds great!
Everyone want to risk that they might be swept aside, I don't think so!
It'll take a bit more tact and time to clean up here!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I thought Thompstone was awful at Exeter, his kick chase effort was non existent and made some admittedly fairly average box kicks look truly awful.

That isn’t to ignore the wider issues we have as a team/club but he’d not be in my starting XV after that display.

Also the be fair to MOC the choice of May at full back against Exeter was because Tait had a stiff back after the coach journey down according to BT Sport anyway so I don’t think it is an experiment anyone particularly wanted to try out.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 pm I thought Thompstone was awful at Exeter, his kick chase effort was non existent and made some admittedly fairly average box kicks look truly awful.

That isn’t to ignore the wider issues we have as a team/club but he’d not be in my starting XV after that display.

Also the be fair to MOC the choice of May at full back against Exeter was because Tait had a stiff back after the coach journey down according to BT Sport anyway so I don’t think it is an experiment anyone particularly wanted to try out.
Playing May at FB was mooted before, so I'm sure it was in MoCs mind. In any case why wasn't a travelling spare taken who could play FB/Wing? Seems poor squad management to me.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Tigers v London Irish (Welford Road, 3pm)

Referee: Karl Dickson (3rd Premiership game). Assistant Referees: Peter Allan & Roy Maybank.

TMO: Rowan Kitt. Citing Officer: Grant Seely

Leicester Tigers have lost their last four Aviva Premiership Rugby matches and another defeat would equal their worst ever run in the history of the tournament, set between October and November 2003. Tigers have lost their last three matches at Welford Road in all tournaments but have not lost four in a row at the famous venue since 1975.

London Irish have won just one of their last 17 Aviva Premiership Rugby matches: 39-29 over Harlequins at Twickenham in the London double-header in September. The Exiles most recent away win in the tournament was at London Welsh in February 2015. Leicester Tigers have lost just twice to London Irish since the two clubs met in the 2009 Premiership Rugby final at Twickenham: at Reading in October 2009 and at Welford Road in September 2014.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Leicester Tigers have lost just twice to London Irish since the two clubs met in the 2009 Premiership Rugby final at Twickenham: at Reading in October 2009 and at Welford Road in September 2014.
Unfortunately I was present at both and we were dire on both occasions. I'm hoping for better on Saturday.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

1. Rizzo
2. TPN
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Williams
6. Hamilton
7. Evans
8. Mapapalangi
9. White
10. J Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Smith
14. Malouf
15. Worth
16. Thacker
17. Bateman
18. Mulipola
19. Makysmiw
20. Kalamafoni
21. Harrison
22. Hardwick
23. Thompstone

I hope Rizzo is fit, I think MOC needs to play Williams at lock to give us some power in the engine room, Evans because he's a very good up and coming player, White over Harrison because the latter was shocking last time he started, Smith over Tuilagi because I want him rested for Europe, Worth should given a shot as does Makysmiw off the bench.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni