Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
kpj tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by kpj tiger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 am

DCATsOLDMAN wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am
As usual, a lot of uninformed rubbish is being spouted on here.

First question, as a PLC, who has the power to hire and fire? It is usually delegated to the MD (or Chief Exec) by the Board
Second question, is the company set up so that the MD CANNOT be sacked?
Third question. If not, has the Chairman been given the power by resolution of the Board?
Fourth Question Was the MD present at the Board meeting when the resolution was passed?

Until we have the answers to these questions, NO-ONE is in a position to do anything.

Don't forget Cohen is a lawyer, and a pretty canny one at that, so I doubt whether he would put himself in a vulnerable position legally
I think your pretty spot on here, I can't see any way Cohen goes before he wants to (unless something really bad happens), Glynn on the other hand has to be on extremely thin ice after all of this surely? I mean how does a supposed "head of rugby operations" keep his job after the last 18 months results especially if the head coach gets the sack? :smt017

TTRITH
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2865
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Hoddesdon
Contact:

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by TTRITH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am

ellis9 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:28 am
TTRITH wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 am

From previous discussions I've had, it seems that it is Peter Tom who makes the hiring and firing decisions, and it is him the players turned to when we had the mess of Cockers last season. I also believe that Simon Cohen has orcestrated a board of which something catostrophic would struggle to get him gone.

Whatever the situation is, it is a mess. Let Cohen get on with making the club money, and bring in a DoR to deal with the rugby matters.
Mess of Cockers last season? He was at Edinburgh last season.
Ralph Wiggam wrote:Me fail English? That's improbable!
What I meant is, during the mess of Cockers last season in charge, rather than Cockers during last season.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100

kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 12:02 pm
Location: Exiled in London

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by kend » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am

debacle
deɪˈbɑːk(ə)l/
noun
a sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco.
synonyms: fiasco, failure, catastrophe, disaster, disintegration, mess, wreck, ruin

It is inconceivable that the board member(s) responsible for this mess can remain in position. IMHO.

As fans we all need to get behind Murphy as he tries to scrape this off the floor. I hope there is a reaction from the players for the Falcons game.

DCATsOLDMAN
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:13 am
Location: Leicester

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by DCATsOLDMAN » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 am

kend wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am
debacle
deɪˈbɑːk(ə)l/
noun
a sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco.
synonyms: fiasco, failure, catastrophe, disaster, disintegration, mess, wreck, ruin

It is inconceivable that the board member(s) responsible for this mess can remain in position. IMHO.

As fans we all need to get behind Murphy as he tries to scrape this off the floor. I hope there is a reaction from the players for the Falcons game.
We are talking a PLC here. The major shareholders are the ones with the power, not the fans, so, unless you can get 51% of the share vote behind you to vote off a culpable board member, you are going to fail. That is why those extraordinairy resolutions that come up from time to time at AGMs get huge majorities - because they are backed by the majority shareholders- if it suits them.

Leicester Tigers may be a sports team, but they are backed by hard nosed business men, so it is entirely conceivable that the board member(s) "responsible for this mess" will remain in position, if the majority on the board choose to keep them there.

kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 12:02 pm
Location: Exiled in London

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by kend » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 am

DCATsOLDMAN wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 am
kend wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am
debacle
deɪˈbɑːk(ə)l/
noun
a sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco.
synonyms: fiasco, failure, catastrophe, disaster, disintegration, mess, wreck, ruin

It is inconceivable that the board member(s) responsible for this mess can remain in position. IMHO.

As fans we all need to get behind Murphy as he tries to scrape this off the floor. I hope there is a reaction from the players for the Falcons game.
We are talking a PLC here. The major shareholders are the ones with the power, not the fans, so, unless you can get 51% of the share vote behind you to vote off a culpable board member, you are going to fail. That is why those extraordinairy resolutions that come up from time to time at AGMs get huge majorities - because they are backed by the majority shareholders- if it suits them.

Leicester Tigers may be a sports team, but they are backed by hard nosed business men, so it is entirely conceivable that the board member(s) "responsible for this mess" will remain in position, if the majority on the board choose to keep them there.
Well, yes - but any CEO/MD/board member who loses the confidence of either their chairman or the majority of their board is only likely to stay in post as long as you can say 'by mutual agreement'. The non-execs on the Tigers board should be asking some hard questions about the decision making process that has led us to sacking yet another coach and into another transition season. And even harder questions regarding how we avoid it happening again. Someone's credibility is shot to pieces.

IMHO you underestimate the 'soft power' of fans/customers as an influence on businesses of any stripe. Few CEO/MD can survive high levels of customer dissatisfaction for long. I agree 'sports environments' are a bit different in that it is a matter of faith rather than consumption, but none the less.

Coops
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: Coalville

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by Coops » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:03 pm

Wonder if Ben Kay will be on "Rugby Tonight" this week. Tomorrow is it?

When they sacked Mauger I don't think he was on.

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by ellis9 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm

Coops wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:03 pm
Wonder if Ben Kay will be on "Rugby Tonight" this week. Tomorrow is it?

When they sacked Mauger I don't think he was on.
Ellis Genge is though.

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 993
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Over the hill and far away

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by Grimlish » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:17 pm

kpj tiger wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 am
I think your pretty spot on here, I can't see any way Cohen goes before he wants to (unless something really bad happens), Glynn on the other hand has to be on extremely thin ice after all of this surely? I mean how does a supposed "head of rugby operations" keep his job after the last 18 months results especially if the head coach gets the sack? :smt017
Doesnt that depend what Glynn is actually responsible for? Does anyone on this Forum know how his role relates to that of Head Coach? Being Head of Rugby Operations doesnt automatically make him responsible for the hiring and firing of the HC or all aspects of player recruitment.

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 993
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Over the hill and far away

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by Grimlish » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:18 pm

ellis9 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm
Coops wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:03 pm
Wonder if Ben Kay will be on "Rugby Tonight" this week. Tomorrow is it?

When they sacked Mauger I don't think he was on.
Ellis Genge is though.
And MOC was due on RL's Rugby Hour...

JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:19 am
Location: The diaspora - West Norfolk

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by JWM » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:21 pm

This includes getting rid of himself then.
tripeandonions wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:48 am
Peter Tom now needs to complete the job by removing those responsible for the recruitment travesties and the lies put out to the supporters. If those individuals had any virtue, they would do it themselves but I doubt if they will.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(

kpj tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by kpj tiger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Grimlish wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:17 pm
kpj tiger wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 am
I think your pretty spot on here, I can't see any way Cohen goes before he wants to (unless something really bad happens), Glynn on the other hand has to be on extremely thin ice after all of this surely? I mean how does a supposed "head of rugby operations" keep his job after the last 18 months results especially if the head coach gets the sack? :smt017
Doesnt that depend what Glynn is actually responsible for? Does anyone on this Forum know how his role relates to that of Head Coach? Being Head of Rugby Operations doesnt automatically make him responsible for the hiring and firing of the HC or all aspects of player recruitment.
His job title suggests he is in charge of the running of the rugby side of the club and that has been where we are failing so you would think his head would be on the chopping block too, the other scenario is he doesn't have any responsibility for the failings on the pitch but then the question would be what is his role and is he just in a made up job given to him by the old boys club

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 993
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Over the hill and far away

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by Grimlish » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:25 pm

There's a huge assumption there kpj. It's quite easy to see an accountability structure that has both the Head of Rugby Operations and the Head Coach responsible to a third party - either a Director of Rugby or, since we don't have one of those currently, the CEO/MD. So HC responsible for Coaching the First Team and, say, the Development Squad, the HoRO responsible for everything else. I'm not saying its how I'd choose to do it, just that since we don't seem to know any different, that is a clear possibility.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests