Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by mol2 »

Genge is a huge loss, highlighting our underpowered, undynamic back and second rows.

Dealing with Manu is easy because there is just him as the powerful threat so easy to commit the defence to.

In the absence of Genge there are no other power runners in the pack. No one to break the game line and give good ball and space for the backs to exploit. Perhaps a bit from the hookers.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 am Team building. Easier to die for somebody you like than for someone you would rather kill.
This is the sort of twaddle HR people (God rot them) put out. Liking has little to do with it and can get in the way through misguided chivalry. The key word is respect. That's what the best teams have for each other
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm Genge is a huge loss, highlighting our underpowered, undynamic back and second rows.

Dealing with Manu is easy because there is just him as the powerful threat so easy to commit the defence to.

In the absence of Genge there are no other power runners in the pack. No one to break the game line and give good ball and space for the backs to exploit. Perhaps a bit from the hookers.
Sad but true.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Two schools of thought, 1. go for a proven coach no matter where he's from, 2. get a home based coach with promise who'll make a fresh name for themselves.

In an ideal world for the former, I'd love to see Jamie Joseph and Tony Brown (currently both with Japan I believe), they did a great job at Otago, Joseph had the pack playing with brutal and relentless competitiveness, and Brown had the backs playing with real invention, both areas trademarks of the respective coaches during their playing days.

Top of my list for the latter would be Paul Gustard, ex Tiger and the guy who created Sarries 'Wolfpack' ethos, a level of sheer aggressive tenacity which we are so lacking. As much as you'd question him leaving his England role, I imagine the chance to be the main man in his own right may be tempting. Maybe look at someone like Vesty for attack.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm Genge is a huge loss, highlighting our underpowered, undynamic back and second rows.

Hard to stop Manu when he's taking the ball flat to the gain line at pace. Problem is we generate no good forward ball because our forwards take the ball in on their own. Genge is a freak of nature, we shouldn't be so devoid of a forward game plan we rely solely on individual star players to make basic yards.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Hard to stop Manu when he's taking the ball flat to the gain line at pace.
But stop him they do.

One. Trick. Pony.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

"One trick pony"
Were you referring to Manu or the Tigers?

The point was that it is easy to commit men to the tackle if there are only limited numbers of threats elsewhere.

You can therefore tackle Manu 2 or 3 up because you know that leaving the line a bit thin elsewhere isn't going to be exploited by another player. The strategy of "chuck it to Manu" is easy to nullify if you don't have to worry about other line breakers.

Most sides have strong runners at centre, hooker, second row 6 and 8 who can burst defences. Without Genge it's Manu at centre and either of our hookers.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:08 am "One trick pony"
Were you referring to Manu or the Tigers?
Manu - but actually, you're right because it could apply to both. Not only do opposition players know exactly what he's going to do, they can commit to bringing him down because they know that there's very little chance of an attacking threat going to develop elsewhere.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Lose to Glaws and Quins in Feb and MOC is gone at the end of the season.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 am Lose to Glaws and Quins in Feb and MOC is gone at the end of the season.
You assume, or you know?
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

All this is just adding sticking plaster to a gaping wound.

We need a root and branch clear out, starting at the very top.

In any normal business the main incumbents on the Board would be chip paper news, and although we dont want to replicate nancyball, most of the coaches and a number of players too

Otherwise we will end up like Biarritz and Perpignan.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

After yesterday, I am more hopeful of getting something at Glaws - still don't think we will but am more hopeful. I think MOC's job will depend to a large extent on the Saints game - get beaten at home by them and his position will be untenable IMHO.
Hehehehehehehehe
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Cohen is the man that must go... simple as that.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I note George Ford's comments after the match:

"A lot of it is mental with the start of the game,” the Tigers No.10 said.

“You do the warm up then you have two options. You can either go out there, dip your toes in and get a little bit of a feel for the game or go out there and attack it and I don’t think we did that well enough.

“We are a team that need to go out there and go at teams and attack teams both sides of the ball. You could see that second half against Racing.

"There was a remarkable difference from the first half. We just need to get our mindset right at the start of games.”

I couldn't get to the match but, last time at Welford Road, young Strawclearer and I deliberately took our seats in the Crumbie well before KO to watch the warm-up. Matt O'Connor spent the entire time wandering aimlessly around the pitch, hands in pockets. At no time did he approach anyone - he spoke only when others approached him. There was no discernible attempt to encourage, enthuse, motivate, inspire or otherwise energise the players. He appeared totally disinterested.

So, if you're wondering why we don't start well.......
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Must say that's pretty much how I saw the game. First half I thought we looked un-coached with no framework for the game. Second half we had aggression and application. Is this a motivational issue. It sure looks like one.
I'm not cynical just experienced