Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by chewbacca »

Roly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 am I expect there are still some people on this forum who don't think the club is in decline (and has been for years), and that the club isn't staring over the precipice of mid-table mediocrity.
At the moment mid-table looks overly generous
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:34 am
Roly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 am I expect there are still some people on this forum who don't think the club is in decline (and has been for years), and that the club isn't staring over the precipice of mid-table mediocrity.
At the moment mid-table looks overly generous
Tigers are unlikely to qualify for top flight European Rugby next season, recent results, especially the one last night, only serve to highlight the embarrassing lack of depth in the squad, and how other teams that some of the people on here like to deride, are moving on and away at a rate of knots.

They're the ones who should be embarrassed - for themselves.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:01 pm A Tigers coach left tonight and wont be back.
Yep that is because they have sacked the coach driver 😁
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:56 am
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:01 pm A Tigers coach left tonight and wont be back.
Yep that is because they have sacked the coach driver 😁
Pity, he'd probably do a better job than MoC.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

The only saving grace is if the board appoint good quality coaches immediately Jan/Feb and use whats left of a VERY very poor season to rebuild,we can then hit the straps running for 2018/2019 season.
Sound familiar?????

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would be inclined to think that we are being run down to" Privatise"
The silence at board level is deafening.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:21 am The only saving grace is if the board appoint good quality coaches immediately Jan/Feb and use whats left of a VERY very poor season to rebuild,we can then hit the straps running for 2018/2019 season.
Sound familiar?????
I've been labouring the point regarding such rhetoric ad nauseum for years, but there are still (absolutely unbelievably) people on this forum who are convinced that next season 'will be the one'

Here is the news.

It wont be.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:09 pm
Forgot to say in France!! Was it a Woods one??
Oh you mean "Tiger Woods!" - wrong club! :smt013
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The BoD is to blame, not just Cohen or Glynn as some say.
When we lost the Corry, Scotty, George etc sort of players we needed to bring in quality coaches and players, but RC tried to motor on with half the number of coaches, mostly rookies, and a restricted budget. This pulled us down a fraction but the club carried on by force of personality. alas the further drop could've been inevitable but it was hastened by the awful (in hindsight) decision to hire AM and his useless buddy Hansen. the whole house of cards began to collapse, and then the ludicrous decision to hire MOC was taken.
All these decisions were taken at BoD level, and in at least two of them a certain BK was party (as well as possibly being a conduit for some senior players who wanted rid of RC).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Well said JG, unless there are major changes in attitude at the top we will soon be a financially stable but mediocre championship side. Attitudes as well as personnel need to change. We are spending up to the salary cap but getting worse week by week that points in more than one direction.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

We need somebody with passion and a vision for rugby leading the club. Too many people have become too comfortable.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am We need somebody with passion and a vision for rugby leading the club. Too many people have become too comfortable.
Someone said before Christmas that MoC isn't a bad coach, but he's not getting the support from the rest of the coaching team - because they're not good enough.

I tend to think that none of them are any good (at least not of the standard required) and a wholesale clear-out is required. And that includes some of the players too.

As has also been pointed out, the board are at least mostly, and probably wholly to blame for this fiasco. Fat, dumb, happy.... an analogy we use in the Forces to describe the condition whereby you're bumbling along complacently right up to the point where an enemy ambush rips you to pieces because you weren't paying attention.

Mark my words, it will get worse before it gets better, don't hold your breath for many (if any) winning results before this season is out. As I also said prior to Christmas (which was surreal in Kabul by the way), the supporters probably ought to be voting with their feet now if they want change. Full houses only reinforce the delusion that everything is alright.

The Leicester Tigers some of you wax lyrical about and seem to have unendingly blind optimism in is gone, its history. And its about time this was accepted. Welcome Rd is just another stadium now, nobody fears visiting it, I doubt even a Championship side would overly worry.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Roly is correct.
All visitors now come to ''Welcome Road''----------for an expected 4/5 points.
Old long gone Tigers would turn in their graves at what the Board have done to this once great Club.
To be honest, its like a bad dream, and when you wake you think ''was I dreaming Tigers are sh**e?''
The Board, all the Coaches need clearing out NOW !!!!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And half the players----12 playing yesterday would not SNIFF the Newcastle set up
Build the forwards around 8 Genges/ Batemans/ TPN ,-----players with 130% bottle ---- and the backs around Toomau Veainu and May
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I can't see us getting back to being a top 2 Premiership team and challenging in the latter stages of the EC with any regularity for a number of years.

There may be the odd year when things fall in our favour and we get a decent run in a competition but there has been a general decline in the Club (not just the squad) since Paddy Howard left a decade ago. Since then we've had RC inherit a top level squad and for reasons not solely down to him (wage cap etc) we've ended up with a squad that is bang average for the EP and nowhere near for the EC.

I think some of that responsibility lands at RC's door as DoR for the vast proportion of that time and a seemingly inability to recruit players better (or even equal) to those leaving or retiring. Having said that, the culture of the club has shifted significantly since PH's day and that is a tone set from the Board of Directors with selection of a 2nd XV for the Castres game being the latest in a long list of recent rock bottoms on the pitch itself.

What I will say is that the Board may have realised some of this and seemingly have decided to invest in getting an (on paper) strong starting XV but to the detriment of the wider playing squad. Perhaps with a strategic recruitment in 2018 we can bring through the likes of Wells, Evans, Simmonds, White, Hardwick, Worth to balance out bringing in what are increasingly like journeymen recruits to give us 25-30 players of a standard instead of 15-20 at the moment.

Am I confident that will happen? No. Am I confident that the current board & DoR / Recruitment have the expertise to do it? No.

Unfortunately that gradual improvement to the squad is the best scenario I can think of for 2018/19 but perhaps even more unfortunately, even if we had a top level DoR I can't see a decade of malaise being turned around in a single summer or even a single season.

We are going to be a number of years away from what we want and that is the ultimate responsibility the BoD & DoR's including RC over the past 10 years have to realise and take responsibility for.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I know its hard for some to grasp, but even the odd trophy here and there can't cover up the general decline, 10 years? It could well be. The last time Tigers were of any real consistent threat was under Pat Howard.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Roly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm I know its hard for some to grasp, but even the odd trophy here and there can't cover up the general decline, 10 years? It could well be. The last time Tigers were of any real consistent threat was under Pat Howard.
Agreed +1 :smt023. The Tigers have never moved on. Cockers game plan was soon found out and it was the same old 'grunt and grind ' for several seasons. IMO Mauger should have stayed for this season at least - for good or bad, we never really got to find out how the Tigers would have played under his tenure? I have long said and I'll repeat it yet again - there needs to be a coaching staff with outside vision that breathes some new life and changes the old Tigers mindset. Wasps have done it - it took a while. Glaws are sorting it out under Ackermann. Even Saints are looking a different side with the same squad under Gaffney. Good ex-players do not automatically make good coaches. The fact MOC has said it is poor execution is IMO down to the coaches not running the basic skills enough?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat