Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Deluded ?

Post by Big Dai »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 pm
ukjohno44 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm Having just read MOC review of today’s game in the Mercury, a mental picture flashed through my mind of Canute sitting on the shore commanding the waves to roll back, he , like our current head coach by his own words shows he has lost touch with reality. Etc...
Except that it's factually wrong to describe Canute the Great in this way. He is popularly invoked in the context of the legend of 'King Canute and the waves', which misrepresents him as a deluded monarch believing he has supernatural powers. In reality, he was a wise king who used this action to rebuke his fawning courtiers for telling him he could control the tide.

Just saying... :smt003
Yup!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Good point,its not just the turnovers though you have to have an all rounder in your back row. A player who is gonna make around 15 tackles,carry 10 times for 50 metres and get 2/3 turnovers. Step forward Evans who does this consistently. BOC doesnt carry as well but his link play is superb. One of these two should play every game and if they are both out then Thacker should play. An absolute tackle machine as shown in the LV final and every game he plays in.
He adds dynamism and link play too. The backrow imo is the most important unit in the game these days and ours is awful for the most part.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

I agree entirely. Not to mention the clear lack of grunt and aggression in the pack, (our first choice 2nds aren’t anywhere near the standard required). Something else is clearly missing from the team which isn’t easy to put a finger on but they all just seem a bit deflated and flat in their performances. Our back line is superb, so why aren’t they clicking? Is it the sheer lack of a quality platform provided by the forwards?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

The powderpuff carrying from the tight 5 bar Genge doesnt help,they are always in the negative for metres carried but collectively as you said its not right. Take the Sarries game for example,scrum domination and at least parity in the forwards and nothing from.9,10,12 conversely look at Farrells performance behind a pack going backwards,light years ahead of Ford! Theres no gameplan,no cohesion,no game management,no ability to.change tactics,no clue! Like i keep saying MOC is completely out of his depth and has done nothing in his career to warrant the top job,shocking appointment that will really hurt us.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 pm The powderpuff carrying from the tight 5 bar Genge doesnt help,they are always in the negative for metres carried.....
Not so sure I'd agree about the first choice front row - which I now see as Genge, Coley and Taf. We do lack 'enforcers' in the second row and someone with serious upper-body strength at 8.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Tbf TPN has only just come and Cole,although at his very best in the scrum and around the field at present,has always been in the negative metres. Genge,TPN,Cole could be a very good unit though but 2 locks needed and a monster number 8 like you say.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 pm The powderpuff carrying from the tight 5 bar Genge doesnt help,they are always in the negative for metres carried but collectively as you said its not right. Take the Sarries game for example,scrum domination and at least parity in the forwards and nothing from.9,10,12 conversely look at Farrells performance behind a pack going backwards,light years ahead of Ford! Theres no gameplan,no cohesion,no game management,no ability to.change tactics,no clue! Like i keep saying MOC is completely out of his depth and has done nothing in his career to warrant the top job,shocking appointment that will really hurt us.
The tactics that string our pack across the field and then send them as ball carriers on their own destroy almost any chance of our forwards breaking the gain line. Until we attack in twos and threes so that we have immediate support so we can create some quick ball and momentum for our forwards to run onto.

Exeter gave us a lesson in how to attack with a forward pack no bigger than ours. Support to drive the ball carrier through the contact, numbers in every breakdown to ensure the scrum half gets the ball quickly and on a silver platter. So much easier to go forward when the he opposition defence is retreating instead of lining you up for a big hit.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 pmLike i keep saying MOC is completely out of his depth and has done nothing in his career to warrant the top job,shocking appointment that will really hurt us.
You do keep saying that MOC is completely out of his depth, and he may well be, but you haven't, as far as I can see, named the person you would have succeed him as head honcho - unless I've missed it where you have.

I'm not overly impressed with our current situation but I'm not sure I could say who my choice to replace him would be, or indeed who is realistically available.

Who exactly would you have in the position? Or, more importantly, who do you think Tigers should have appointed instead of MOC?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:04 pm Tbf TPN has only just come and Cole,although at his very best in the scrum and around the field at present,has always been in the negative metres. Genge,TPN,Cole could be a very good unit though but 2 locks needed and a monster number 8 like you say.
Agreed.
Also Bateman is a pretty decent carrier who would be on the bench if everybody was fit. Muli is no longer much of a running threat, age has caught up with him. Thacker is very mobile and skillful but lacks size. Our front row options with everyone is fit is I think good (With Cillers to come back as well).
It's lock and the back row where we offer little. We have about four 6's (Fitz, Kalamfoni, Hamilton, Mappapalangi) and no real 8. Plus both our 7's aren't being picked.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I wouldve kept Mauger,he would be doing a damn sight better than MOC. My top choice would be Deans or Boyd and Plumtree. I wouldve taken both Van Graan and Ackermann over MOC and while my top 2 targets seem far fetched the other two were easily attainable. If MOC was binned id just put Murphy.and Deacon in charge till seasons end,could they do any worse? I do have a horrible feeling the otber two.Fords could be coming in as coaches,watch this space!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 pm The powderpuff carrying from the tight 5 bar Genge doesnt help,they are always in the negative for metres carried but collectively as you said its not right. Take the Sarries game for example,scrum domination and at least parity in the forwards and nothing from.9,10,12 conversely look at Farrells performance behind a pack going backwards,light years ahead of Ford! Theres no gameplan,no cohesion,no game management,no ability to.change tactics,no clue! Like i keep saying MOC is completely out of his depth and has done nothing in his career to warrant the top job,shocking appointment that will really hurt us.
Farrell better than Ford! :smt037 :smt037
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

What you think Ford is better than Farrell? 😂😂😂
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 pm
Farrell better than Ford! :smt037 :smt037
Yes. He is.

Farrell is world class, a petulant child at times, but still world class.

Ford is very good. Very very good. But not quite World Class.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 pm What you think Ford is better than Farrell? 😂😂😂
Yes. As are most fly halves.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Forget it Ellis,not biting mate. HNY.