Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by ourla »

Loving it. When we were playing sh_it it was all MOC's fault. Now we're playing great it's nothing to do with him - it's all down to a forwards coach who turned up a couple of weeks ago, the other coaches, Matt Toomua, anyone but MOC.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Errrrrrr,pre Bakewell and Toomua at 10 playing poor,can't buy a win,team shocking bar scrum. Enter Bakewell and Matt finally moved to 10 then 3 wins back to back with two of them TBP wins and a transformed pack. Surely you can see some kind of pattern here ;)
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm Errrrrrr,pre Bakewell and Toomua at 10 playing poor,can't buy a win,team shocking bar scrum. Enter Bakewell and Matt finally moved to 10 then 3 wins back to back with two of them TBP wins and a transformed pack. Surely you can see some kind of pattern here ;)
While I agree with both the previous posts to some degree, may I suggest the following:
RC needed some fresh coaching input, but for whatever reason initially it did not occur. We carried on, at a slightly lower level, because we still had a good forwards game but had lost the mature players and our 'game closer' mentality to some degree, and backs weren't very good. Our defence coach got the push for non-playing reasons. AM was hired with Hansen. Hansen's defence system was a bust, as was AM's new style, since it made demands on players that they could not fulfil and was not a style that could survive the rigours of the AP. Cockers and AM were at loggerheads, which also affected the team. IMO Mauger was a disaster, for multiple reasons, but this could be seen to be a catalyst for change in the BoD mindset, for better or worse.
When RC was sacked, we needed a top forwards coach in ASAP, didn't happen. So what we had was a flaky team with poor morale but clearly a lot of good players who should be performing better, a good scrum coach but not much else.
MOC arrives and things don't change that much BUT it may well be that the demands that had been made before were now being met, because MOC was in the same position as EJ, massive leverage. With the arrival of Bakewell, solicited by whoever, a gaping hole in the coaching closes emphatically. Morale begins to climb and........
I am not a fan of MOC but if he puts the club back on its feet, then we can judge him by the end of this and the whole of next season. Grumpily. :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think jgriffin sums it up pretty well. Our forwards just needed some fine tuning and at present it seems that Mark Bakewell was worth waiting for, as individuals they were never as bad as some claimed, even the lineout after the first few matches improved before Bakewell arrived but recently delivery to the nine seems more effective.
The move of Toomua to 10 in George Fords absence was delayed because owing to injury he was not able to take responsibility for goal kicking and Joe Ford is a more than competent kicker and is not as bad a fly-half as some would have us believe although definitely not of the international quality we Tiger's fans expect even from our third choices.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The last three matches are difficult to judge on in my opinion.
The three opposition teams have played poorly and a quick look on espn reveals a combined turnover count of 46 occasions the ball was given back.
That's a fortunate statistic in my opinion, especially with Sarries in that mix.
Whether the Leicester defence has improved or it's simply that Quins are inconsistent, Sarries had their entire first choice pack missing and Wuss couldn't catch a cold on Sunday even if they were only wearing their gum shields I don't know, but I suspect there are much tougher matches to come!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Glad to see that BFG is not allowing optimism to cloud his judgement.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 am Glad to see that BFG is not allowing optimism to cloud his judgement.
Won't get me on the dance floor first johnthegriff!
Anyway I'd add, I did play one upbeat tune, Leicester's defence might've improved.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The wins have to be taken in context.

The win away at Sarries was good but against a much weakened side.

The wins at Quins and Warriers were wins against sides that could well have been in a relegation dogfight but for Irish's dreadful start to the season.

After several seasons of Tigers looking less than the sum of their parts the doom mongers and Happy clappers can be forgiven to viewing 3 wins (after 1 win in 11) with caution and delerium.

A long way to go yet.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

it really does feel like certain users of this forum would rather have lost these games to further their "sack MoC" agenda, no everything isn't suddenly fixed, but if you cannot accept and celebrate the much improved, Tigers like, wins then I don't know what is wrong with you.

As for Sarries being weakened, we have gone down there and played a weakened Sarries side before and been stuffed
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

That same Sarries 23 bar Kruis and Williams won away at Sale the week before conceding only 3 points.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:03 pm it really does feel like certain users of this forum would rather have lost these games to further their "sack MoC" agenda, no everything isn't suddenly fixed, but if you cannot accept and celebrate the much improved, Tigers like, wins then I don't know what is wrong with you.

As for Sarries being weakened, we have gone down there and played a weakened Sarries side before and been stuffed
If you can't accept cautious optimism then I don't know what is wrong with you either.
Besides when topics suggesting the England fly half should be binned and proclaiming the new coach as the saviour are current then after the three wins I think some cautious optimism might be a good idea.
Leicester did manage to win some rugby matches before Bakewell, before Toomua played 10, and before a losing streak!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

While I’m more than happy to celebrate Tigers 3 wins in a row, I’m fully aware that Wasps will be the true test. It’s good to see that the players aren’t getting too far ahead of themselves and looking to improve.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well call it coincidence or call it luck, whatever, there has certainly been a turn around since the new forwards coach came in, I'd go with making him head coach and throw MoC overboard.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Be interesting to see our BR selection next season,BOC is undroppable on top form and Kalamafoni is our Robshaw,25 carries v Wuss and he's the AP top carrier. Thompson is a much better 8 than 7 and Denton is a better impact player. Williams is approaching his best form too and that's without Mapapalangi,Evans and Ryan! Thoughts?
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:00 pm Be interesting to see our BR selection next season,BOC is undroppable on top form and Kalamafoni is our Robshaw,25 carries v Wuss and he's the AP top carrier. Thompson is a much better 8 than 7 and Denton is a better impact player. Williams is approaching his best form too and that's without Mapapalangi,Evans and Ryan! Thoughts?
Kalamafoni is fairly solid and he put in a great effort on Sunday but I think Thompson will be a better option at 8. Kala at 6 for me. O'Connor has been excellent and I'd be giving him a lot of game time but I'd also like to see Evans rotated in a bit more as he also always seems to play really well and he needs some opportunities to develop. Denton to bench. Williams and Mapa back ups and Ryan to go!