Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by Tiglon »

TigerCam wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:14 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:31 pm 2 points for me,Chiefs have got 60 odd players in their cap so it isn't always paying more that gets the best,its value for money. But it's also absolutely tied in with the coaches,if you put together an AP XV you wouldn't get many Chiefs players but theyre still the best drilled and know exactly what they are doing from 1-46! There's no drop off in squad players and that is the coaching,compared with ours that is poor bar Stanko.
Spot on RF :smt023 :smt023
2 of the 5 nominees for player of the season are Chiefs...
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yes but that doesn't mean they would get 6 if it was a top 15 ;)
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Can't help but feel the Sale game is huge for MOC's future. No HC and he'll be nailed on for the boot surely?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

POSTIGER wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 pm Can't help but feel the Sale game is huge for MOC's future. No HC and he'll be nailed on for the boot surely?
Whilst I tend to you agree with you, recruitment for next season is mainly done, so it won’t make much difference and a settled pre season is a must.
Strong start to next season is essential though.

Challenge cup will be strong next season
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If we qualify for the Challenge Cup and win it, their our long road to become the next Gloucester has truly taken course :smt011
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

If anyone listens to the 5 Live Rugby Union Podcast this week, they will have heard the interview with Donncha O'Callaghan.

He commented that when Tigers beat Munster in the HC Final, the infamous "Hand of Back" incident - Munster actually took inspiration from that defeat. They viewed Leicester, and particularly Neil Back, as ruthless with that winning mentality to win at all costs, and do whatever it takes to get the win.

For me, this has gone from Leicester. That spirit, that dogged fight that we used to have. We always used to score the bulk of our points in the final quarter of matches and would grind out at win at any cost.

Where has that gone? When did it go? How did it go?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Coops, the circa 2001 team was special. You can't expect that to be continued or repeated on a regular basis. I think there is also an element of rose tinted specs about it. We had some bad runs of results in the intervening period, we lost some big games and finals. I'm not trying to gloss over the current situation which is undoubtedly below standard.

Lots of things have changed since 2011 mind about 2001. No point in going through them all now. I would say the one thing we've lost is clear leadership on and off the field. if Cockers had his faults his leadership and clarity of purpose wasn't one of them. You can't necessarily match his personality but I'm a little concerned about whether MOC has the metal - or indeed if Glynn is undermining his ability to lead. On the field it's a little bit the same - Tom has done a decent job but he has no deputy or lieutenants with him.

We've also seem to have struggled to get the player mix right. Injuries have certainly played their part but we seem to ship a vital cog (Slater) to gain another (May). The hope is that the engine room changes for next season bears fruit and our back line are coached to play well tactically. There is undoubtedly a lot of ability in the squad which is not being reflected in how we play or the results.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:53 am If we qualify for the Challenge Cup and win it, their our long road to become the next Gloucester has truly taken course :smt011
Not really. Gloucester have never been successful! :smt002
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

ourla wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:57 am Coops, the circa 2001 team was special. You can't expect that to be continued or repeated on a regular basis.

<snip>

Lots of things have changed since 2011 mind about 2001. No point in going through them all now. I would say the one thing we've lost is clear leadership on and off the field. if Cockers had his faults his leadership and clarity of purpose wasn't one of them. You can't necessarily match his personality but I'm a little concerned about whether MOC has the metal - or indeed if Glynn is undermining his ability to lead. On the field it's a little bit the same - Tom has done a decent job but he has no deputy or lieutenants with him.
I agree that the 2001 team was special but the spirit and culture shouldn't be lost.

Your comment regarding leadership is also key and a very valid point, but there are some very strong and experienced players on the pitch usually - Mat Tait, Toomua, Ben, Dan Cole. These players should be stepping up and bossing things.

Martin Johnson was always very vocal and you'd regularly see him pull the team together and read them the riot act - doesn't appear to happen with TY.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Toomua should be captain next season. Always leads by example with some big hits. Make BOC and Ben Youngs vice captains. Also have Ford, Cole and Tait in the leadership group.

Tom Youngs has been a great player for the club. But has never been a great captain for the last two season and now isn’t guaranteed a starting spot.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Coops wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 am If anyone listens to the 5 Live Rugby Union Podcast this week, they will have heard the interview with Donncha O'Callaghan.

He commented that when Tigers beat Munster in the HC Final, the infamous "Hand of Back" incident - Munster actually took inspiration from that defeat. They viewed Leicester, and particularly Neil Back, as ruthless with that winning mentality to win at all costs, and do whatever it takes to get the win.

For me, this has gone from Leicester. That spirit, that dogged fight that we used to have. We always used to score the bulk of our points in the final quarter of matches and would grind out at win at any cost.

I recall Ben Kay once saying in an interview that the Tigers team he played in had the attitude that if they were trailling by 10 points or less with 10 minutes to go they would go on to win the game. They had the belief to make it happen and that's what's missing and has been missing for some time.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

that team was littered with match winners this team is littered with solid pros, solid pros are great as squad men but when your team is made up of them you won't be winning the major trophies
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 am
Coops wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 am If anyone listens to the 5 Live Rugby Union Podcast this week, they will have heard the interview with Donncha O'Callaghan.

I recall Ben Kay once saying in an interview that the Tigers team he played in had the attitude that if they were trailling by 10 points or less with 10 minutes to go they would go on to win the game. They had the belief to make it happen and that's what's missing and has been missing for some time.
BK is one of those responsible for getting MOC back, so he can talk.........
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yeah don't listen to Kay!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Kay is a very good pundit but I could punch him for bringing back O’Connor. Or Perhaps his recommendation was deliberate in order for Tigers to decline and for Cohen to resign or get ousted and for to usurp power?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni