Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by TigerS2 »

Lewis Moody's article is quite depressing. I don't think I can cope with another season of disappointments.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

strawclearer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm Lewis Moody pulling no punches in pushing for Geordan Murphy to replace O'Connor...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... um=twitter

Lewis and Geordan are two of my all-time favourite Tigers but this is nonsense. If we are being brutally honest, Geordan hasn't exactly set the world alight as skills coach (I'm being polite here) so why would / should he be entrusted with the Head Coach role? That makes no sense.

I agree with everything else Lewis says and for what it's worth I'd love to see him back at Tigers as Breakdown coach or something similar- he's a bright guy with much to offer.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

POSTIGER wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm Lewis Moody pulling no punches in pushing for Geordan Murphy to replace O'Connor...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... um=twitter

Lewis and Geordan are two of my all-time favourite Tigers but this is nonsense. If we are being brutally honest, Geordan hasn't exactly set the world alight as skills coach (I'm being polite here) so why would / should he be entrusted with the Head Coach role? That makes no sense.

I agree with everything else Lewis says and for what it's worth I'd love to see him back at Tigers as Breakdown coach or something similar- he's a bright guy with much to offer.
Lewis is many things but not a bright guy.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ln3 ... ll&f=false
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He may be right about the problem but as for the solution he suggests in brining through another in-house coach is again the nub of the problem and unlikely to be the solution.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Ah, the lure of the ‘star dust’ appointment! Otherwise known as the triumph of hope over experience.

Coaching is completely different to playing and having been an outstanding athlete is no predictor of coaching ability. We can all think of numerous examples from all sports of world-class performers who don’t make the grade as a coach - and of top quality coaches who had been fairly mediocre athletes!

I’ve actually no idea whether Murphy is (or has the potential to become) a good coach...others may have more inside knowledge. However, the fact that he was undoubtedly a great player should not cloud judgement.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

What a shame that the bitterness Lewis felt when his career at Tigers came to an end is still showing, surely even he can see that his time at Bath proved the Tigers correct in their decision for all sorts of reasons. Lewis was a great player for Tigers but in his later years injury took its toll and like most players he could not see that it was time to retire.
I think Geordan is becoming a fine coach, proven by the Anglo Welsh performances and I sincerely hope that at some point he gets his opportunity with Tigers but that will come only if MOC fails which I don't want to happen or MOC succeeds and he steps up allowing Murph to progress. Just to annoy a few on this board I hope that when Matt Tait's playing career ends he stays in rugby, I believe he would be a great addition to Tiger's coaching staff.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:10 pm Just to annoy a few on this board I hope that when Matt Tait's playing career ends he stays in rugby, I believe he would be a great addition to Tiger's coaching staff.
He was coaching a junior camp at WR yesterday (my son was there) so good to see he’s getting engaged already!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I agree with Johnthegriff as Lewis Moody still holds the grudge of coming to end of his Tigers contract then going to Bath for a few games before inevitable retirement having given his best years to Tigers.
Of which we are grateful, but to suggest changes of coaches without any track record or senior coaching references is just McSpreading. Geordan must really show his skillset this coming season in all areas if he is to be considered the future here.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Murphy is an odd one for me, whenever he has coached the team on his own as within the LV competition, we have played really well.

However, the majority of the time he is solely the skills coach. For the entire time he has been skills coach at Tigers, our skill level and handling ability has been awful. Add to the fact that there seems to be no improvement in the teams skill level season by season is worrying.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 am Murphy is an odd one for me, whenever he has coached the team on his own as within the LV competition, we have played really well.

However, the majority of the time he is solely the skills coach. For the entire time he has been skills coach at Tigers, our skill level and handling ability has been awful. Add to the fact that there seems to be no improvement in the teams skill level season by season is worrying.
Yep. I was really hoping he'd go cut his teeth elsewhere out of choice, but if we start this season like last season, away from MoC the next coaching casualty is likely to be Smurf.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Lewis Moody's article is contradictory and ill thought through. When he says:

"They need a completely fresh approach, don’t rely on what they are doing now, do something different for a change......"

I would take that to mean literally a fresh approach with different people, different style etc etc. This is not what he advocates which is (picking up some of his own phrases) one of the current coaches, who has been at the club for years and who is steeped in the culture. This does not seem very different to me.
As Good As It Gets
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Anyone who is in doubt of Murphy's abilities as a coach should read his autobiography. The ideas he had through his playing career, even though some were ignored by some coaches, shows he has the ability to be an excellent coach.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I tend to agree that Murphy has the potential to be a good head coach; I don't personally have enough knowledge to be certain but would like to see him given a chance at the right time. My previous point was merely that Moody is arguing against himself in the same article and potentially not helping Murphy's cause.
As Good As It Gets
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

TigerS2 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm Lewis Moody's article is quite depressing. I don't think I can cope with another season of disappointments.
You might have to, MoC will still be in charge.

Anyway that article must have cost Geordan a fortune in beer...
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

I wonder if Geordan Murphy still shouts at the players when they lose, like he did when he was Captain. I remember an occasion when he left the changing room open so the players could here the opposition cheering and celebrating, he told them that he didn't want to hear that again. I think it was after a Sarries game.