Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by Crumblies »

Right in what regard JG & Ellis9?

Are you saying the appointment of AM and the reappointment of MOC by our wonderful BoD was wrong?

If so you may well be right on both counts.

If you are saying this proves the removal of RC was wrong I dispute that passionately. The style and substance of our play under RC was poor for far longer than the time given to either AM or MOC.

In my view RC was never director of rugby material. Scrum/Forwards/Lineout coach maybe but not DOR! Now whenever you two trot out the RC love in, I simply respond with Dean Richards whose record in my view far exceeds that of RC, both at Tigers and elsewhere. And who in my view is DOR material. So if anyone has proven they were wrongly pushed out of Tigers its Dean Richards!

My biggest gripe right now is with the Board and who is running the club and making strategic decisions. We were supposed to have had a root and branch review, of our coaching structure. We were scouring the world for the best, money was not a problem.
What happens we reappoint MOC. We do not replace RC, Richard Blaze leaves within weeks of the new season and we continue to promote rookie coaches from within.

For goodness sake everyone on here knows it, every opposition coach knows it, and every pundit knows it. We are underpowered and all at sea in the forwards. Even if its only a temporary until the end of the season go out and get a decent forwards coach!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 pm Behave Ellis lol.
How do you mean?

You said who would I bring in. I would give the job to Murphy and do all I can do get Cockerill back. If we couldn't and Murphy had done a good job, I'd keep him in the job.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Crumblies wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm Right in what regard JG & Ellis9?

Are you saying the appointment of AM and the reappointment of MOC by our wonderful BoD was wrong?

If so you may well be right on both counts.

If you are saying this proves the removal of RC was wrong I dispute that passionately. The style and substance of our play under RC was poor for far longer than the time given to either AM or MOC.

In my view RC was never director of rugby material. Scrum/Forwards/Lineout coach maybe but not DOR! Now whenever you two trot out the RC love in, I simply respond with Dean Richards whose record in my view far exceeds that of RC, both at Tigers and elsewhere. And who in my view is DOR material. So if anyone has proven they were wrongly pushed out of Tigers its Dean Richards!

My biggest gripe right now is with the Board and who is running the club and making strategic decisions. We were supposed to have had a root and branch review, of our coaching structure. We were scouring the world for the best, money was not a problem.
What happens we reappoint MOC. We do not replace RC, Richard Blaze leaves within weeks of the new season and we continue to promote rookie coaches from within.

For goodness sake everyone on here knows it, every opposition coach knows it, and every pundit knows it. We are underpowered and all at sea in the forwards. Even if its only a temporary until the end of the season go out and get a decent forwards coach!
Firstly, sacking Cockerill was wrong. Secondly, appointing Mauger was wrong.
Thirdly, appointing MOC was wrong, which I said at the time.
Finally, whoever decided we should change the style of play to "entertain" the supporters was wrong. I also said this at the time too.
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

I think the basis of our demise in the inability to get over the gain line either through the forwards or backs. I like GM big time but as skills coach he hasn't really taken us forward. The pack, whilst strong and big, look weak and timid not interested in scrapping it out. Our back row just isn't working. Not enough turnover and far too often being turned over ourselves. I have said for a while Ben Youngs box kicking is about as bad as it gets and our restarts are far too deep.

Blame MOC, blame all the coaches ultimately we have some good players who just are not performing week in week out. I would happily see MOC go and don't care about mid-season upset. However we need to go and get the best forwards, backs, defence and skills coaches into the club and we simply do not seem to know who they are or how to attract them.

Have a Happy New Year. I'm Tigers forever regardless of the results.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Sacking Cockerill wasnt wrong! We were falling apart before Mauger came back,fact! Our biggest mistake was rehiring MOC when we had the chance to completely clear the decks.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

manxleigh wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:15 pm I think the basis of our demise in the inability to get over the gain line either through the forwards or backs. I like GM big time but as skills coach he hasn't really taken us forward. The pack, whilst strong and big, look weak and timid not interested in scrapping it out. Our back row just isn't working. Not enough turnover and far too often being turned over ourselves. I have said for a while Ben Youngs box kicking is about as bad as it gets and our restarts are far too deep.

Blame MOC, blame all the coaches ultimately we have some good players who just are not performing week in week out. I would happily see MOC go and don't care about mid-season upset. However we need to go and get the best forwards, backs, defence and skills coaches into the club and we simply do not seem to know who they are or how to attract them.

Have a Happy New Year. I'm Tigers forever regardless of the results.
Well yes, why would you stop supporting Tigers just because we are not winning?!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I expect it will be very expensive to sack MOC mid season, I don't know what contract he has but he would probably due significant compensation. I assume he has been set objectives, top 4 in league and qualify from HC pool? If at the end of the season he fails to meet his objective they can presumably remove him with minimal cost. One would hope that they would also have a replacement in mind to step straight in.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

So MOC out, Cockers back and everything will be rosy.

My view is that Tigers current problems are down to the quality of our forwards. It's a simple game as demonstrated recently by Munster, Exeter and to some extent Sarries. Go forward, break the gain line and recycle quality ball.

Fitzgerald, Williams, Hamilton, Kalamafoni, Kitchener and most of the back up front row forwards are simply not premiership quality and who recruited most if not all of these, RC and AM.

I accept that a top quality proven forwards coach is a must but I think MOC should be given the chance to recruit and build his own team before the lynch mob appears.

Our backs are top drawer but rugby isn't a game to be played going backwards.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

WirralExile wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:46 pm But who do you get to replace him? Let’s face it, there are not a ready supply of Head Coaches/Directors of Rugby out there. I know Mike Ford is available, but who on here wants him?
Paul Gustard - DOR - significant in reinventing Saracens and influential in the rejuvenation in the England set up.
Sam Vesty - Head Coach - ask anyone, he is a fantastic coach, incredibly intellegent and fully understands the game.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Surely O'connor had a say in the signings that's why we got him in well before the end of the season.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Even when we have had forward parity,or in some cases forwards on top like Sarries our backs were absolutely clueless! I thought MOC was a backs coach!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I believe that Tigers have been in steady decline in terms of playing prowess over the last 4-5 years. I also think that Cockerill did us no favours when by his very cussedness and personality he held a sinking ship afloat for as long as he did. Board meddling in playing matters does not work. Root and branch change needed.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

how much power on recruitment does MoC actually have, he is head coach not DoF?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

There are 4 simple steps to this...

1. Go get a great Forwards Coach and a couple of players with the same body shape as Dean Richards (of old!) - a bit of good, old-fashioned upper-body strength!

B. Stop making lists

1.ii Be more consistent

8. Learn to count

Oh and it's NYE so... :smt030 :smt030 :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Spot on chewbacca,post of the day!