Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by jgriffin »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:33 pm I believe that Tigers have been in steady decline in terms of playing prowess over the last 4-5 years. I also think that Cockerill did us no favours when by his very cussedness and personality he held a sinking ship afloat for as long as he did. Board meddling in playing matters does not work. Root and branch change needed.
My view on Cockers exactly. What people don't get, but many ex-players do, is that we lost a whole generation of hard nuts who knew how to win ugly, and the new generation go where the money is and gave often been pampered through school and onwards.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I feel like a turkey whos just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at them,we are in trouble fellas!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:27 pm
WirralExile wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:46 pm But who do you get to replace him? Let’s face it, there are not a ready supply of Head Coaches/Directors of Rugby out there. I know Mike Ford is available, but who on here wants him?
Paul Gustard - DOR - significant in reinventing Saracens and influential in the rejuvenation in the England set up.
Sam Vesty - Head Coach - ask anyone, he is a fantastic coach, incredibly intellegent and fully understands the game.
Hasn't Gustard been helping saints with defence.....
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:22 pm
TTRITH wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:27 pm
WirralExile wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:46 pm But who do you get to replace him? Let’s face it, there are not a ready supply of Head Coaches/Directors of Rugby out there. I know Mike Ford is available, but who on here wants him?
Paul Gustard - DOR - significant in reinventing Saracens and influential in the rejuvenation in the England set up.
Sam Vesty - Head Coach - ask anyone, he is a fantastic coach, incredibly intellegent and fully understands the game.
Hasn't Gustard been helping saints with defence.....
Only since 10 days ago...

I said he'd be a good appointment not a miracle worker :smt005
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I prefer to look at Gustards whole body of work with England and his creation of the wolfpack defence.
ukjohno44

Deluded ?

Post by ukjohno44 »

Having just read MOC review of today’s game in the Mercury, a mental picture flashed through my mind of Canute sitting on the shore commanding the waves to roll back, he , like our current head coach by his own words shows he has lost touch with reality. If MOC thinks that our second half performance was about missing chances as being the difference between tigers and Exeter he is indeed deluded in the same way as Canute was and that bodes ill for Tigers whilst he remains in charge.Come on MOC have the courage to acknowledge your shortcomings in tactics,recruitment, and lack of empowering our youngsters in the Acadamy by picking them. The fact that with them playing we might still get beat in the remaining games ahead,at least we will be building experience into them for the future, something that many within the current front 5 cannot do as they sadly have shown, all to well, not only this season but for a number of years previous. At least treat the fans with respect and not insult our intelligence with this drivel, you demean yourself and us with it.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ukjohn he is so far out of his depth its untrue!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Which youngsters do you want picked ukjohno44 after the drubbing off Saints 2nds at Loughborough the other week?
There is little choice but to try and be positive at this stage and hope the tough run of defeats ends today, otherwise it could get much worse!
Exeter would've accumulated a cricket score against the Leicester youngsters in my opinion!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

It is clear that changes need to be made, MOC has had the time to fine tune his team and recruit the players he wants, he had a full pre-season but we are are going backwards at a rate of knots, a massive concern for me is that MOC cannot find himself a suitable coaching team, we have been crying out for a world class forwards and skills coach, surely MOC must have built up contacts over the years? Other areas of concern:-

1) Recruitment, on a whole very positive but certain key areas have not been resolved, Fly half back up, Joe is not the answer and never was, Lock, we have been crying out for an enforcer for years, Centre, has again been an area where we have always struggled with injuries. A big ball carrying Number 8, every team competing for trophies has one.
2) Team Selection, MOC does not know his best team, the amount of times he has switched, changed the back row is shocking, this is where a forwards coach would have guided him.
3) Players, after watching today there are certain players who are clearly not up to the standard required, Kitch, Fitz, Williams and Logo just don't offer the qualities we need.
4) Captain, has been a topic of conversation for years, T Youngs is not the man for this job, you need to be the refs BFF during games and Tom just doesn't have the ability to do this. For me Toomua is the best option.
5) Tactics/Breakdown/Ball Retention, We lack all of these, the first 10 minutes against Exeter today were painful to watch, coughing up ball, poor kicking, a back line standing still, that backline is world class so it must be down to the coaching set up.

Is it time to let MOC go, I would say yes, he is breaking all the records you shouldnt be as a head coach. This season is done and its time to find a quality coaching set up. The concern is that the people who make these decisions are as much of a problem as MOC!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Deluded ?

Post by strawclearer »

ukjohno44 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm Having just read MOC review of today’s game in the Mercury, a mental picture flashed through my mind of Canute sitting on the shore commanding the waves to roll back, he , like our current head coach by his own words shows he has lost touch with reality. Etc...
Except that it's factually wrong to describe Canute the Great in this way. He is popularly invoked in the context of the legend of 'King Canute and the waves', which misrepresents him as a deluded monarch believing he has supernatural powers. In reality, he was a wise king who used this action to rebuke his fawning courtiers for telling him he could control the tide.

Just saying... :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

What about Wells (ok he has used him sparingly),Maksimiwyi,Betts,Evans and Thacker BFG? Is Dave Ward any better than Thacker? Not for me so i dont think the physicality excuse can be used anymore. Evans absolutely bossed Kvesic in his debut and has bettered Louw amongst others as well as always topping all stats in the forwards when he plays. Wells hits hard and is a nuisance at the BD and ive always liked his partnership with Maksimiwyi. And Bauman is one of the worse TH ive ever seen,surely Betts couldve been blooded. I dont think the out physicalled excuse is a valid excuse anymore.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 pm What about Wells (ok he has used him sparingly),Maksimiwyi,Betts,Evans and Thacker BFG? Is Dave Ward any better than Thacker? Not for me so i dont think the physicality excuse can be used anymore. Evans absolutely bossed Kvesic in his debut and has bettered Louw amongst others as well as always topping all stats in the forwards when he plays. Wells hits hard and is a nuisance at the BD and ive always liked his partnership with Maksimiwyi. And Bauman is one of the worse TH ive ever seen,surely Betts couldve been blooded. I dont think the out physicalled excuse is a valid excuse anymore.
Blimey I'd swap Thacker for Dave Ward in a flash, no quibbles, and why, just seeing the amount of shiners Dave Ward accumulates tells me he that he loves a bit of a dust up, and that is what Leicester need, a few more players who love a dust up!
If the youngsters are outmuscled by Saints 2nds then seriously what do you think Exeter 1sts would do to them!
Be realistic, Betts is a decent young prop but recall what happened to the young man at the scrum recently!
This is Exeter we are talking about, the best side in the country currently who are much lorded as the most physical forward pack in the land, no place to be recklessly chucking in kids in my opinion!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Tbf i was talking about over the season BFG. MOC hasnt had the right pack balance or bench forwards all season bar the odd game.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Deluded ?

Post by G.K »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 pm
ukjohno44 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm Having just read MOC review of today’s game in the Mercury, a mental picture flashed through my mind of Canute sitting on the shore commanding the waves to roll back, he , like our current head coach by his own words shows he has lost touch with reality. Etc...
Except that it's factually wrong to describe Canute the Great in this way. He is popularly invoked in the context of the legend of 'King Canute and the waves', which misrepresents him as a deluded monarch believing he has supernatural powers. In reality, he was a wise king who used this action to rebuke his fawning courtiers for telling him he could control the tide.

Just saying... :smt003
Yes you are correct, Knut was atually a smart guy who did this to put the sycophants down.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

MOC has been heard in a recent interview stating that the new breakdown laws mean that the days of a proper ‘7’ are over. IMO he’s got this massively wrong, but he has stood by this philosophy week after week by not picking O’Connor or Evans In the matchday squad. For me 2 or the best fetchers in the league being completely wasted in our ‘a’ team and our back row has looked very unbalanced to most fans and pro pundits. Our breakdown has been a shambles (yes there are far more problems than this!) in recent weeks - the muster back row absolutely schooled us at the breakdown. Williams, Hamilton, mapapalangi are all 6/8’s but none are fetchers and this is why we get turned over so easily when in possession and don’t make many turnovers in defence. Very difficult to actually see a strategy or game plan in any of our games and I wouldn’t lose much sleep if MOC was sacked in the next week or so. Big problem is who steps in at such short notice?