Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I keep hearing this form cliche. When hes gonna come good,next season? The one after that? He's had no form forever,and he was never in line for a lions place,Farrell,Sexton,Biggar and Russell are all better. Massive mistake in the Burns swap and even bigger one parachuting him straight back in when Harrison and
Toomua were working!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:11 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 am

Lastly, I wish someone at the club would look at what Leinster and Ireland (the best teams in the NH) are doing and take note. There were a few time yesterday when we were in their 20 but failing to bludgeon our way through and yet there wasn't a single high kick to the corners. Similarly, there was numerous occasions on which Hammersley and Harris were the only Falcons in the back field and were standing miles apart from each other and yet we didn't put ANY kicks in behind. Those top teams take risks but it's a case of high risk, high reward. Why not take our lead from more successful sides?
We did, Rory and Ben Kay looked, sold it to Cohen and senior players, we brought in O'Connor! Jimmy Gopperth last night said Leinster players loved O'Connor, not what I heard, or was it just their fans who were so knowledgeable so they off loaded him to us? :smt022
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 am MOC got it wrong last night (and previously) badly. Ford was poor again,kicked out of hand terribly for 60 minutes,made a pathetic 4 runs for 1 metre not threatening the line AGAIN and was used as a handbag every time he tackled. BY was off the pace again understandably and should've started on the bench and Manu wasn't ready either not to mention the way he seemed to be used (can any explain it?!). Poor coach totally out of his depth who fell onto the right formula with Toomua at 10 then completely bottled it when old Georgey boy came back and changed things! Has to go now, should never have got the gig. Reap what you sow!
I thought Ford played well last night. Our attacking structure is terrible and we were going nowhere in attack. That's not his responsibility that's what the coaches are paid to organise.

What George did was guide us to a 10 point lead and then kick intelligently so that we played most of the second half in the Falcons half, turning their pack and to touch in their 22. That's textbook rugby. The issues were that once we had the territory we let Falcons off the hook. In the last twenty the forwards had no line speed in defence so Falcons made easy metres and we're able to march up the pitch and score. It's not the flyhalfs job to lead the defence (generally).
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Finally, how close are we to becoming a great team again, well how did we really do? were we thrashed in every game we lost? were we easily beaten? The answer is NO and how do I know that, just look at the table and see how many losing bonus points we got. An additional try in 2 or 3 of those games and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Thats how close we are.
But every side from 5th to 9th could say the same thing. John Kingston said the squad at Quins are the best he's been involved with (shortly before being sacked!), and they sit 9th. The margin between 3rd and 9th is small, but good coaches manage the margins. I'm sure MoC is a decent coach; you don't get to his level by accident. But it's worth remembering that broadly the same group of players made top four last season and came within a score of the final. And in a season where 3 coaches were sacked in pretty brutal fashion (I think appointing Mauger was a mistake, but announcing his departure immediately after the AWC win was an interesting management decision).

Somehow he just isn't getting the most out of what is a decent squad - maybe not top two, but decent enough for top four. They are less than the sum of their parts. Perhaps when the players with 'not wanted on voyage' badges have gone and the new recruits arrive it will change.

I've no doubt he will stay, the great and the good have invested too much in the decision to change now, but there must be a clear and immediate improvement next season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

That’s the problem, objectively looking at the group of players, the squad should be making the top 4. Hopefully this season is just a blip and we will learn.

Otherwise MOC, Murphy etc need to go. I think another season is fair before firing the gun.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Easy for me. Goodbye MOC and goodbye exhaustive search Cohen,simples!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:56 pm That’s the problem, objectively looking at the group of players, the squad should be making the top 4. Hopefully this season is just a blip and we will learn.

Otherwise MOC, Murphy etc need to go. I think another season is fair before firing the gun.
I do not agree with that.
Beyond BOC and Toomua I see glaring positional weaknesses, and beyond the likes of Harrison and Smith a bit of a soft centre.
Players are overrated a lot in my opinion.
England could similarly be at a new low point.
Some players are that average that they make me cringe.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

A HC/DOR main objective is to get the most out of his players. How many of Chiefs 1-15 would get in an AP 1-15? Not many so stop making excuses for him!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:18 pm A HC/DOR main objective is to get the most out of his players. How many of Chiefs 1-15 would get in an AP 1-15? Not many so stop making excuses for him!
We have seen the best and the worst in several players.
Some players have consistently shown their best, if they can under this coach then why can't others!
Leicester are a better team than last season.
Impossible to blame a coach for a side that had opportunities to close out but let slip a ten point lead in a must win match at home.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I don't just blame the coach,i blame our new 10 too! Sorry to be a broken record but he's just not what we need,its so blatant to see. Look at the recent run of results,the style of play and the regression.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Leicester are a better team than last season?!!! Er nope!!! We won the LV,we finished in the top 4,we lost more games in the AP and the RCC!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:48 pm Leicester are a better team than last season?!!! Er nope!!! We won the LV,we finished in the top 4,we lost more games in the AP and the RCC!
An AWC won with senior players in a development competition.
Lost more games this season yes, but not smashed off the park like on occasions last season.
Matches have been lost this season that should not have been lost, the Cockerill factor that was forced out would've made that difference, without that pressure to deliver Leicester have let points slip in my opinion.
That's player power for you!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

The player power point is alive and well still,its so obvious BFG. Descending into Wendy ball,how sad?!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I'll leave Cockers out of this as it's been well discussed but of the other coaches we've had in the last decade:

Loffeda got us to two finals and got fired the next day.

Mauger wins the first trophy in four years and got fired the next day.

MoC fails to get to any play off, in any competition, achieves nothing except breaking just about every losing record in the books. Why is he still around :smt017
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:23 pm I keep hearing this form cliche. When hes gonna come good,next season? The one after that? He's had no form forever,and he was never in line for a lions place,Farrell,Sexton,Biggar and Russell are all better. Massive mistake in the Burns swap and even bigger one parachuting him straight back in when Harrison and
Toomua were working!
D'Accord!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"