Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by RagingBull »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am BOD may be aware of a problem the burning question is whether they are capable of engineering a solution.
They are.

But it would require them to eat some humble pie first, which prob won't happen with the current chairman.
But the BOD are ruthless enough to do it.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 pm
chewbacca wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am BOD may be aware of a problem the burning question is whether they are capable of engineering a solution.
They are.

But it would require them to eat some humble pie first, which prob won't happen with the current chairman.
:censored: then.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 am
TTRITH wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 pm Question who would be on people shortlist of targets to get?
For DoR:
Deano. Come on now, be serious
Gustard. He's a smart man, he'll pick his first top job carefully and make sure it's a club in a better position than Tigers
Venter (pass the biscuits). Yes please, might fancy the challenge of "resurrecting a fallen giant", but seems to have about 6 jobs on the go at the moment and I doubt he'd give them up for Tigers
Meyer. I think we tried that one already
Lancaster. A bit more club experience would be desirable

For Head Coach:

Gustard. As above
Vesty. Just because he played for Tigers? Not sure what he's achieved to warrant a HC job
Shaun Edwards. If he wanted a HC role, he would have taken one years ago
Daryl Gibson. 40% win record at Waratahs in the last 2 seasons I think. I'll stick with MOC's 46(?) thanks
Rowntree. See Shaun Edwards
Wells. See Deano

Although, Deano, Meyer, and Lancaster could work with MoC with a decent forwards, backs and defence coach (Bakewell, Vesty and Deacon) would make me happy enough.
I just can't see any of those happening. Venter would be my first choice but I think it's incredibly unlikely.

Preferably no proven drug cheats, which would rule out Ackermann (if he was in any way available or interested, which I'm sure he isn't). And a "no" to Gatlin as speed coach.
I was being serious with Deano. If theres anyone with a proven track record of turning clubs around it's him. I admit it's highly unlikely with the current BoD, but a change of Chairman could herald a new dawn.
Meyer didn't work due to the other issues surrounding his tenure, but he was brought in at the same time as MoC first time around. If we are insistant on keeping MoC, then Meyer could be a solution.

Vesty is a very clever coach. He's well respected, and has a fantastic knowledge. Admittedly a head coach position may be a step too far so soon, but if we had a team of experienced coaches around him it could be a very shrewd move. He will be a top class coach before too long.

Gibson - crikey, yep. I'd happily keep him off the list.

I know people don't like the idea of ex-players as coaches, but we've always done well with ex players involved and I think we'd lose that little bit of identity that's left if we walked away from that all together. I think we need ex players on the coaching staff, coaches that understand Tigers, but equally that have gone away and earned their stripes (pardon the pun), hence the inclusion of Deano, Wells, Gustard, Vesty, Rowntree and Gibson on my shortlist.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 pm
They are.

I think its time for him to walk away. Following that a root and branch petition of every aspect of the club should be taken. Both the positives (current investment levels, current academy results, involvement in the community etc.) and the negatives (results on the pitch, inability to deal with catering issues, etc.) and things suitably dealt with.

I cannot see it happening this Summer, as I think we'll sneak Europe, but I'm hopeful that the cracks are now too substantial for paper.
Richard Burnett
Winter tiger

Post by Winter tiger »

Why am I hearing rumours that three past players who all joined Exeter but all wanted to play for Tigers, asked to sign new 1 year contracts with a tiny £5000 salary uplift? “Only to be rebutted by Mr Cohen who insisted he would not pay an extra +£5k and responded along the lines of Foreign Office resulting in the disillusion and 3 transfers of some of our best players at that time”.

I cannot disclose my sources but have heard this one a few times but only recently confirmed by others……………… I’ll get my coat!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Winter tiger wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:20 pm Why am I hearing rumours that three past players who all joined Exeter but all wanted to play for Tigers, asked to sign new 1 year contracts with a tiny £5000 salary uplift? “Only to be rebutted by Mr Cohen who insisted he would not pay an extra +£5k and responded along the lines of Foreign Office resulting in the disillusion and 3 transfers of some of our best players at that time”.

I cannot disclose my sources but have heard this one a few times but only recently confirmed by others……………… I’ll get my coat!
Waldrom - left because he fell out of favour with Cockers (Despite Crane playing incredibly well). Apparently Cockers had a problem with England grandmas.
Salvi - Didn't take up the option of another year because he wanted a big deal in France. We said okay and signed BoC, and Salvi didn't have the big contract.
Parling - Left as he was being kept out of the first team by a then in form Graham Kitchener.

I could be wrong, but I don't think these came down to an extra £5k.
Richard Burnett
Winter tiger

Post by Winter tiger »

Your reply is exactly what I always thought to be the case but after recent information I now have doubts and the response would certainly fit the MO of the personality IMO for sure
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Parling Wanted abit more, but there was the concussions issues to think about at the time.
Salvi was sort of his and his agent's own fault as said his deal fell through and Tigers had already signed up his replacement pretty much so even wanting just 5K more would have made things difficult with the cap. (although Cohen made a balls saying that we had offered the best deal etc and then Salvi on twitter saying he accepts it all abit of a mess).

Waldrom well i think waldrom was going to go regardless and would be amazed if he wanted to stay for only an extra 5K certainly wouldn't have only wanted 5k either.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TTE, would of stopped I think if the coach at the time had actually watched the games properly & played him (last time YBY was consistently good for us was playing with TTE).
A increase in pay of biscuits & cake would of swung it.

We should look at getting Geoffrey back to coach the lineout, a true expert.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I know it's difficult to avoid platitudes but I think MO'C should be doing better than this when asked about Saturday’s fixture at Welford Road against Quins...

“We need to make sure we’re better than we have been.”
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm I know it's difficult to avoid platitudes but I think MO'C should be doing better than this when asked about Saturday’s fixture at Welford Road against Quins...

He'll still be saying that when Tigers are 5th in the Championship.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Roly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm I know it's difficult to avoid platitudes but I think MO'C should be doing better than this when asked about Saturday’s fixture at Welford Road against Quins...

He'll still be saying that when Tigers are 5th in the Championship.
I'd prefer him to be saying “They need to make sure they’re better than they have been.”
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm not sure why anyone expects anything different from press conferences etc.

It's called media training, and it is what it is because Joe Public and the media are so quick to jump on anything said by coaches and players.

No coach or player is (I hope) ever going to be as pessimistic and depressed as half the contributors to this forum. That's a good thing.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm I'm not sure why anyone expects anything different from press conferences etc.

It's called media training, and it is what it is because Joe Public and the media are so quick to jump on anything said by coaches and players.

No coach or player is (I hope) ever going to be as pessimistic and depressed as half the contributors to this forum. That's a good thing.
Sorry Tiglon, wrong reason, they are never going to be pessimistic because if they do it would be admitting they are doing a poor job, and talking themselves into the sack! How many ever admit we played poorly, we were rubbish, ok he's your cards, bye!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Rob Baxter for one does. Admittedly he doesn't have to that often these days.
I'm not cynical just experienced