Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by trendylfj »

I am sorry to be saying this but another common factor in our recent decline is Murphy as our skills coach. Yes MOC should go and so should Murphy and COHEN - will they???? of course the answer to me is no.
Hehehehehehehehe
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

G.K wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 am I'll leave Cockers out of this as it's been well discussed but of the other coaches we've had in the last decade:

Loffeda got us to two finals and got fired the next day.

Mauger wins the first trophy in four years and got fired the next day.

MoC fails to get to any play off, in any competition, achieves nothing except breaking just about every losing record in the books. Why is he still around :smt017
I 100% agree with everything you have said here. As I said in another thread, his position is virtually untenable in my mind.

Also, I would add that, for all the talk of a lack of a forwards coach at the start of the season, our back play has been pretty poor for large parts of the season. Since Bakewell came in there has been a significant improvement in the forwards and the pack have generally given us some decent go-forward in recent games.....and yet our attack hasn't been anymore effective. It still as formulaic, stilted and blunt but now we can't blame a lack of lineout ball or possession. Isn't attack supposed to be MOC's forté? We have some serious talent in that backline and yet they play with precious little variation or flair.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:55 am I am sorry to be saying this but another common factor in our recent decline is Murphy as our skills coach. Yes MOC should go and so should Murphy and COHEN - will they???? of course the answer to me is no.
Sadly this is very true. The lack of basic skills like catching and passing is a glaring weakness in the current side. How many opportunities have we butchered this season because of a wayward pass or a dropped catch? Obviously I don't have the stats but I'm willing to bet we're among the worst in the league on that score. Sadly, Geordan has to come under scrutiny in that respect. Whatever he's doing, it's not working that well unfortunately.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For the last :censored time Mauger didn’t win the Anglo-Welsh, that was all Murphy. Proves he’s more of a head coach then a skills coach...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't even know why people bring up the anglo-welsh cup thing as a good thing?

It's the lowest trophy you can win and we played a fairly experienced squad.
Look at the squad Exeter played
Exeter: Turner; Jess, Bodilly, S Hill, Short; J Simmonds, Maunder; Low, Malton, Holmes, Atkins, Welch, Ewers, Salvi (capt), Simmonds.
Replacements: Taione, Keast, Owlett, Skinner, Johnson, Thomas, Hooley, Hendrickson.
compared to
Leicester: Worth; Betham, Tait (capt), Roberts, Brady; Burns, Kitto; Genge, McGuigan, Balmain, Wells, Kitchener, Williams, Thacker, McCaffrey.
Replacements: Youngs, Rizzo, Bateman, Barrow, Hamilton, White, Williams, Smith.

Now looking at the players in both teams who benefited more in the long run from that game?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

This season has been pretty awful by any standards (and might get even worse this weekend).

However, the club was already falling apart before MOC's arrival. It was never going to be fixed in one year. Give him next season (or at least part of it, depending on how it goes) with the new arrivals in the pack and, if it doesn't significantly improve then it is time to say goodbye.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:39 am This season has been pretty awful by any standards (and might get even worse this weekend).

However, the club was already falling apart before MOC's arrival. It was never going to be fixed in one year. Give him next season (or at least part of it, depending on how it goes) with the new arrivals in the pack and, if it doesn't significantly improve then it is time to say goodbye.
Great coaches/managers inspire, employ strategy and tactics that use their resources to their maximum potential and manage to get an outcome that represents more than the sum of the parts, viz Martin O'Neil at LCFC. If we believe that we have seen signs of that this year then I agree, if not then he should be gone. Only the best is good enough.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:02 am
Tiglon wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:39 am This season has been pretty awful by any standards (and might get even worse this weekend).

Great coaches/managers inspire, employ strategy and tactics that use their resources to their maximum potential and manage to get an outcome that represents more than the sum of the parts, viz Martin O'Neil at LCFC. If we believe that we have seen signs of that this year then I agree, if not then he should be gone. Only the best is good enough.
In Martin O'Neill's first season at Leicester City they finished 5th in the second tier of English football.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think most have seen good signs, it's the balance in selection that baffles many!
Up front Genge is slowly improving, Polota-Nau has added strength in depth, Bateman carries very well when playing more often, Fitzgerald has improved a bit since Bakewell arrived, BOC and Kalamafoni are strong players, Evans is waiting in the wings and possibly looking a bit stronger, and reinforcements who look to be playing very well at their current clubs are coming soon.
In the backs Harrison has improved with game time and added the kind of drive and ball needed, Toomua has shown that he is a top quality 10, and the back three is dangerous given the space.
Leicester could do with a centre or two IMO, quick and importantly robust.
Could also do with a few who are playing like passengers either stepping up or stepping out IMO, as far as I am concerned that'll be the difference in the end!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

In Martin O'Neill's first season at Leicester City they finished 5th in the second tier of English football.

In Alex Ferguson's first season at Manchester United they finished 11th.

Even Ackerman, who many seem to think should have been given the Tigers job, will only finish 5th/6th/7th in his first season at Glouc. That's not because he is a bad coach, it's because clubs who are in the mess that Gloucester and Leicester are will never going be immediate fixes.

A good coach or director of rugby, or manager/leader in any profession is not about instant results, he or she provides a long term solution. I think the signings that MOC has made for next season are very promising and that is a reason to believe we will be a better side. What worries me is the breakdown of basic skills regularly throughout this season - but that responsibility surely lies with Murphy - and the poor attitude and effort shown at times by some of the players, for which the responsibility IMHO lies with those players themselves.

I agree with BFG that some selections have been difficult to understand, but hopefully MOC has learnt from them. Time will tell.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

^^ Lot of sense there Tiglon, IMO.

MoC hasn't lit the place up just yet. He's brought in some of the players he wants; has brought in a Forwards Coach he wants (partway through the season); and has signed some players he wants ready for next season.

IMO he will now get a full pre season with the team he wants and for me, it's how that develops and how we start next season. This season has been a disaster, but I'm being positive and will give MoC next season to sort it out.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Tiglon the lack of ‘skills’ has often been of the very basic level, giving and taking of passes, and at the level of players at Tigers should be a given. It seems a bit harsh to blame Geordie.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Don't forget MOC went backwards at Leinster and somehow did the impossible and coached them out of the playoffs!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 am Tiglon the lack of ‘skills’ has often been of the very basic level, giving and taking of passes, and at the level of players at Tigers should be a given. It seems a bit harsh to blame Geordie.
Agree - the players must take a big wedge of the responsibility for this. My comment on Geordie's responsibility for poor basic skills throughout the team was in response to this being blamed on MOC - if anyone does want to point blame for poor handling etc on a member of the coaching team, surely it should be Geordie rather than MOC?

I've always said the players should take the majority of the responsibility for our poor season.
by Rugbyflanker » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 am

Don't forget MOC went backwards at Leinster and somehow did the impossible and coached them out of the playoffs!
Sure, but that's only of limited relevance to the situation at Tigers. There are plenty of criticisms you could aim at Deano's Quins stint, but that doesn't mean he can't be a success elsewhere, as has been proven. We've all had bad moments in our careers.

Let's judge MOC on how he does at Tigers.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The reality is that most of the people who welcomed MO'Cs appointment say he should be given next season.

Those (like me) who opposed him coming to Tigers think he (and others) should go now.

I suspect he'll be given pre-season and up until half-way through 2018/19 to prove his worth.
Last edited by strawclearer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives