Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by G.K »

I don't need to see any more, MoC is simply hopeless and needs to go and go as soon as possible. Some members of the Board and Management ought to accompany him out of the door. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:37 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm I'm not sure why anyone expects anything different from press conferences etc.

It's called media training, and it is what it is because Joe Public and the media are so quick to jump on anything said by coaches and players.

No coach or player is (I hope) ever going to be as pessimistic and depressed as half the contributors to this forum. That's a good thing.
Sorry Tiglon, wrong reason, they are never going to be pessimistic because if they do it would be admitting they are doing a poor job, and talking themselves into the sack! How many ever admit we played poorly, we were rubbish, ok he's your cards, bye!
Tiglon was pretty much spot on; although the positivity, however realistic it is, must also be passed on to those who have to deliver the goods. Pessimistic and depressing contributors? That 50% feels more like 95% which is why players are discouraged from looking on here.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:40 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:37 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm I'm not sure why anyone expects anything different from press conferences etc.

It's called media training, and it is what it is because Joe Public and the media are so quick to jump on anything said by coaches and players.

No coach or player is (I hope) ever going to be as pessimistic and depressed as half the contributors to this forum. That's a good thing.
Sorry Tiglon, wrong reason, they are never going to be pessimistic because if they do it would be admitting they are doing a poor job, and talking themselves into the sack! How many ever admit we played poorly, we were rubbish, ok he's your cards, bye!
That 50% feels more like 95% which is why players are discouraged from looking on here.
If as a player, I was playing like a headless chicken and couldn't handle the truth, I'd be discouraged from looking on here too.

The supporters of this club who go through the turnstiles contribute towards these players' salaries. They have every right to feel aggrieved and angry and to voice their opinion on performances. Unfortunately, it isn't just the players who should be reading these missives - the rot started at Board level and it started a decade ago at least. However, it shouldn't be beyond what is a genuinely talented group of players to go out on that pitch and put their critics out of sight. sadly, they seem either unwilling or unable to do that, which leads to the logical conclusion that the wrong coaching staff are in place. Whether that is because they are inept, or because they have lost the dressing room.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

As far as I'm concerned the question is a simple one: are the players well coached? The answer quite clearly is NO.

How many players do you see who are clearly improving? Is there a clear direction in terms of the way we want to play? Are the players adapting to situations in games. Again, emphatically the answer is no.

I can't see what, if any value, MOC has brought and as painful as it is to criticise my favourite player of all time, the player's skill levels seem to have dropped significantly since Geordan took on that responsibility.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

David Moyes was very open and blunt about how poor his team was when he took over at Sunderland. It is now widely believed that this negativity from their leader was a big factor in the team's appalling season.

Agree with Roly, players and coaches etc should be held accountable and fans have the right to vent their frustrations and voice criticism. However, if we ever want a successful team again, they need a positive leader, not the Moyes clone that some fans seem to want.

The day a HC/DoR openyl says that his team are rubbish and will not get better any time soon, I expect him to be sacked immediately, because that only creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

For anyone who thinks I'm wrong, I'm sure your local library has some good sports psychology books. Or just general psychology books. Or, for some of you, books on basic common sense...
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

I think as usual a surprising (perhaps not that surprising) amount of people are a little too dispondent about the current state of the club.
Whilst clearly not where we want to be and on an absolutely terrible run of form/games I don’t think personally that we’re that far from competing with the top two.
It’s my opinion that we’ve sorely missed a forwards coach and am hopeful that the new appointment will show dividends.
I think this coaching set up needs next season to be fairly judged. I don’t think the squad is that far off. There’s not many games where I’d swap a large number of players with our opponents and equally it must be remembered that with a salary cap and indeed a budget we’re never going to have the entire worlds top 15 out on the pitch.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

I agree whole heartedly with Tom Young’s:-

“We are in a hole but you have to stay positive, you have to keep going. What else can we do - roll over and die? That’s not going to happen. We have to keep going as a group, as supporters as a club, everyone together.

We’re supposed to support not ‘only’ criticise. We’ll always have opinions and not always going to be inline with what the club or coaches decide but some people are just never happy whatever happens.....my father in law for one! :smt011
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm TTE, would of stopped I think if the coach at the time had actually watched the games properly & played him (last time YBY was consistently good for us was playing with TTE).
A increase in pay of biscuits & cake would of swung it.

We should look at getting Geoffrey back to coach the lineout, a true expert.
TTTE was played until the last season despite the England call-up, or so the club history says. A little Kiwi bird told me it was attitude especially in training and diet that upset RC, and a little Devon bird told me he started out that way at Chiefs until threatened with disciplinary removal (you may remember a dust-up between senior players and coaches?).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There's a fine line between trying to get the best from your players to convince them they can win and appearing delusional.

The captain has no option but to express belief in his team mates so there's nothing else Tom Youngs would say. He's not in a position to say "My DOR is clueless and the squad lacks the powerful dynamic 4-8s needed to compete at top level" other wise he would find it pretty awkward at the next training session.

I suspect he thinks it like we do, particularly as the only change to the starting line up (other than those force by injury and internationals) is to drop him to the bench. As significant in addressing the side's weakness as putting an extra bolt on your back door and leaving the front unlocked.
tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Post by tripeandonions »

What riles me the most, is the rubbish excreted by the Tigers PR about the supposed recruitment and selection process that produced the appointment of MOC. Now it seems the criteria they based the decision on were: 1. Available 2. Cheap 3. Knows where Leicester is.
Sacking Mauger, Cockerill and others must have come at a financial price. So balancing the books by slashing the coaching budget must have been tempting for the bean counters, with the inevitable outcome not far down the road. The final insult - Nottingham Building Society.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Not sure why a sponsor "Nottingham Building Society" is an insult. There is no longer a Leicester Permanent or a Leicester Temperance Building Society, not even an Alliance and Leicester they have been replaced by a Spanish bank. Many Tiger's supporters hail from the Nottingham area and we have no real rivalry with Nottingham Rugby Club. We are not football fans with the traditional hatred that City have for Forest and vice versa. My only grievances about the Robin Hood Stand are one that when approaching along Aylestone Road is has no Tiger's logo or mention of Tigers and two that the bar is called the clubhouse which implies that as in the past a clubhouse is open to all club members which is now not the case and we ordinary fans/members no longer have a bar where the walls are adorned with photos and memories of the past, but I suppose that is professionalism.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I agree they should never have said "we are going to scour the world" or whatever it was. You are always going to open yourself up to ridicule. But it's probably time to get over it.

We've belatedly got a forwards coach in - an external appointment. Let's see how things pan out.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 am There's a fine line between trying to get the best from your players to convince them they can win and appearing delusional
To the uninitiated, top level sports psychology can certain seem to be a delusional process. I have my doubts about how close Leicester Tigers get to providing this edge to the players.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I don't think that a psychologist would be much good to a 75 yr old like me, I will continue to use my experience and judgment to make up my own mind regarding MOC, I am just glad that we have a new forwards coach, but suspect that will just keep MOC in his job for a bit longer.
Always wonder how an Aussie and NZ will get on, how long before their strong beliefs clash? Anyway, glad we got a result at home, just wonder how much influence Matt T had on MOC in picking him at FH?
Geordan really has to step up as well, our basic skills are very poor, catching a ball and retaining it need to be a priority.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 am Not sure why a sponsor "Nottingham Building Society" is an insult. There is no longer a Leicester Permanent or a Leicester Temperance Building Society, not even an Alliance and Leicester they have been replaced by a Spanish bank. Many Tiger's supporters hail from the Nottingham area and we have no real rivalry with Nottingham Rugby Club. We are not football fans with the traditional hatred that City have for Forest and vice versa. My only grievances about the Robin Hood Stand are one that when approaching along Aylestone Road is has no Tiger's logo or mention of Tigers and two that the bar is called the clubhouse which implies that as in the past a clubhouse is open to all club members which is now not the case and we ordinary fans/members no longer have a bar where the walls are adorned with photos and memories of the past, but I suppose that is professionalism.
Pretty well one of a few gripes Mrs G has, another being the total lack of proper ladies supporters gear ("why do they think all women like to dress in pink FGS?"), and the view that the game has gone soft (Julian dobbing Sheridan is one of her happy memories).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.