Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by kend »

Well, that was depressing, but a bit of perspective. Given the team selection they were never going to win yesterdays game. We had a number of players in the 23 who have had very limited game time either due to injury or being benched. Joe Ford had a poor game, but given the amount of pitch time he’s had at 10 it was a bit of stretch to expect him to perform
against Castres at home (yes, I know they rested players but they are in good form, especially at home). In some ways the bloke was set up to fail. And actually Tigers did get over the gain line (perhaps more than the nominal 1st team?) and did create opportunities. It would have been nice to finish one off, shame one of the forward passes the ref picked up was the one to Brady! Evans, Harry Thacker, Wells were OK - their stats are pretty decent.

I’m not sure acting in panic is a good idea. We have a side playing ‘less than the sum of its parts’ with no clear vision why and an imperative to reach top 6. Sacking everyone and the club dog is only sensible if it will fix the problem. And we’ve already tried that (First Burke, then Hansen, then Cockers, then Mauger). If we had a Brendan Venter character waiting in the wings with a five year plan and a BoD (where change is needed) willing to support them, then maybe. Surely the die is cast for this season?

Be interesting to see what they do for the Racing game. Do you stick with the programme and concentrate on building toward the six nations absences and the Glous game (where a LBP is the minimum for a top six?). Or do you throw the kitchen sink at the game and hope for a morale boosting performance? Rationally the former, perhaps politically the latter!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kend wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:38 pm I’m not sure acting in panic is a good idea. We have a side playing ‘less than the sum of its parts’ with no clear vision why and an imperative to reach top 6. Sacking everyone and the club dog is only sensible if it will fix the problem. And we’ve already tried that (First Burke, then Hansen, then Cockers, then Mauger). If we had a Brendan Venter character waiting in the wings with a five year plan and a BoD (where change is needed) willing to support them, then maybe. Surely the die is cast for this season?
I didn't know we had a club dog, but if we do he definitely deserves the sack. And Welford, that tiger is well past his best, time to send him off to France for a lucrative final contract.

Animals aside, Brendan Venter plus 5 years would get my vote. I know he's not popular with Tigers fans, but he understands what a winning team culture looks like and how to achieve it.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm
kend wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:38 pm I’m not sure acting in panic is a good idea. We have a side playing ‘less than the sum of its parts’ with no clear vision why and an imperative to reach top 6. Sacking everyone and the club dog is only sensible if it will fix the problem. And we’ve already tried that (First Burke, then Hansen, then Cockers, then Mauger). If we had a Brendan Venter character waiting in the wings with a five year plan and a BoD (where change is needed) willing to support them, then maybe. Surely the die is cast for this season?
I didn't know we had a club dog, but if we do he definitely deserves the sack. And Welford, that tiger is well past his best, time to send him off to France for a lucrative final contract.

Animals aside, Brendan Venter plus 5 years would get my vote. I know he's not popular with Tigers fans, but he understands what a winning team culture looks like and how to achieve it.
I've got a better idea, whatever they're paying Rob Baxter, double it - Tuilagi's salary would surely cover it.

I know, I know, its a pipe dream that'll never come to fruition, but its my version of sticking my fingers in my ears and claiming the club is in transition this year.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Our BODs is full of Non Executive Directors, possibly sugar daddies, business men who know about economics/revenue, building car parks and hotels, but know :censored: all about Rugby.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm Our BODs is full of Non Executive Directors, possibly sugar daddies, business men who know about economics/revenue, building car parks and hotels, but know :censored: all about Rugby.
Ah but you aren't going to build a nice big pension pot from just a rugby club are you?
I'm not cynical just experienced
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm Our BODs is full of Non Executive Directors, possibly sugar daddies, business men who know about economics/revenue, building car parks and hotels, but know :censored: all about Rugby.
Ah but you aren't going to build a nice big pension pot from just a rugby club are you?
I wonder if those Non Exs, plus PT, are financing the car park and hotel out of their own pockets and how many shares will they have in those enterprises? Why are they on our board and what are they getting out of it?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:28 pm
chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm
I wonder if those Non Exs, plus PT, are financing the car park and hotel out of their own pockets and how many shares will they have in those enterprises? Why are they on our board and what are they getting out of it?
3 ex Tigers players
2 have been involved in Tigers business side of things for 14 and 19 years
Cohen well we all know about him.
The others not sure on but i know a couple are big fans of the club.

I 'm pretty sure Tigers have sub committees one for the the rugby side of things aswell which doesn't include just members of the BOD (Not sure though).
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

To be fair, the majority of them don't need to. They bring other expertise in terms of commercial/oversight of the business. They will have a role in bringing analytical skills to judge whether tigers overall plan is credible.

Ged Glynn (head of rugby operations) presumably does know something about rugby - I'm guessing he is the one reporting to the board on the progress (or lack of it) on the pitch. Those meetings must be fairly interesting at present. If I were Cohen, I'd be asking for a daily report on progress against whatever turnaround plan Glynn and MoC have in place!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Good! Let them do lots of Non-Executive Director-type things to earn the Club lots of money to spend on rugby! As long as they fund the primary purpose of the club and let those who know about rugby get on with things - they've achieved their goal!

[In case you're not sure why we have non-Execs, Lord Grade put it very well: "A non-executive is a bit like the bidet in your bathroom: nobody is quite sure what they are used for, but they add a touch of class.”
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

I can't reach domestic games at the moment but certainly watch, with great interest. I'd say the decline in the playing has gone on for about five years or more.
It's embarrassing to be a Tigers' fan atm. The only match I can reach this season is 'The Clash'. Really enjoyed last year, although we lost but this year I' not going to identify my allegiance.

That's how bad it is...with great regrets. :smt010
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

(I am not a great one for tarting up Welford Road unnecessarily, and when it seems to make new erections look more important than the rugby, but to be fair the Granby Halls redevelopment had Tigers over a barrel. When it was put up for sale, to secure the site Tigers had to submit a sufficiently whizzy scheme to redevelop the triangle, if the Club hadn't, the land would have been awarded to some other body/organisation/company, who would likely have developed the land in a less favourable way.)
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

byrontiger wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 pm I can't reach domestic games at the moment but certainly watch, with great interest. I'd say the decline in the playing has gone on for about five years or more.
It's embarrassing to be a Tigers' fan atm. The only match I can reach this season is 'The Clash'. Really enjoyed last year, although we lost but this year I' not going to identify my allegiance.

Just remembered I got (cheap) tickets for the clash. I hope we find some form and still in with a shout for the play offs otherwise it's going to be just a Twickenham sight seeing trip!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

byrontiger wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 pm I can't reach domestic games at the moment but certainly watch, with great interest. I'd say the decline in the playing has gone on for about five years or more.

You should try following Tigers and being married to a Chiefs supporter.

Its a laugh a minute at the moment.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

You really only had to look at and listen to MOCs interview before the match and to be uninspired and demotivated. If he looks and talks in the same way to the players, there is no wonder that they are uninspired and defeatist in their application.
Valhalla I am coming!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

fleabane wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 pm You really only had to look at and listen to MOCs interview before the match and to be uninspired and demotivated. If he looks and talks in the same way to the players, there is no wonder that they are uninspired and defeatist in their application.
The bloke is wetter than a Haddock's swimming trunks, at least Cockerill had a personality, albeit a belligerent one.

One thing that hasn't changed is the seeming open loop of platitudes spouted by the pair of them. 'Must do better', 'we need to learn from our mistakes', 'execute better', 'keep our discipline' - without ever actually, doing any of it.

If the insistence must be to keep signing up old boys, then if I was the board, I'd be looking at Deano.