Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by ourla »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 pm
fentiger wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:40 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm Thing is at a various points since they've been here you people have commended those same players for how they have played. I feel at the moment, for whatever reason, they are not performing at the best of their ability.
^^^ This :smt023
So why are they not performing at their best, could it possibly be due to the Coaching, or is this a new theory? :smt013
Clearly I would not be the best person to answer not being involved on a day to day basis and just watching the matches. But yes, it would seem to indicate a combination of the players not being looked after, not being motivated and/or not getting the individual team coaching to perform to their best. It does seem to me the coaching team is relatively small at Tigers and/or set around former personnel.

The last two times we played Wasps away (league this year, semi last year) we seemed to do pretty well. I actually thought we shot ourselves in the foot both games. And that is the strange thing we can't seem to maintain a level of performance.

There is a lot of talk about a lack of confidence - which is always a difficult thing to finger and to turn around.

If it was easy to sort this stuff out sport would be half as interesting.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am Of course they've had some decent performances during their time, they are decent players. But they are not as good as the players employed by most other Premiership clubs. Which of those has produced consistently enough during their time at Tigers to make anyone believe they'd get into the starting lineup at Saracens, Exeter, Wasps, Gloucester, Bath, Harlequins or even Northampton?
See, I'm not so sure this is true. And we besides we used to take in players that didn't look great in other teams and improve them. Parling and Salvi for example. And more recently McAffrey. Hamilton we seemed to have done a good job on. But I don't know at the minute players like William, Fitzgerald just don't look great. So all in all a bit perplexed.
axisadman

Post by axisadman »

ourla wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 am we used to take in players that didn't look great in other teams and improve them
Agreed - seems the other way round now, look at Gonova - Newcastle, Gibson - Saints, Slater, Williams - Gloucs, Waldron etc etc. Get some of them back for a short term fix.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am Of course they've had some decent performances during their time, they are decent players. But they are not as good as the players employed by most other Premiership clubs. Which of those has produced consistently enough during their time at Tigers to make anyone believe they'd get into the starting lineup at Saracens, Exeter, Wasps, Gloucester, Bath, Harlequins or even Northampton?
See, I'm not so sure this is true. And we besides we used to take in players that didn't look great in other teams and improve them. Parling and Salvi for example. And more recently McAffrey. Hamilton we seemed to have done a good job on. But I don't know at the minute players like William, Fitzgerald just don't look great. So all in all a bit perplexed.
And Genge!
There is one factor in all those careers.......and to balance that a factor in the departure of Waldrom.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am
Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm
Thing is at a various points since they've been here you people have commended those same players for how they have played. I feel at the moment, for whatever reason, they are not performing at the best of their ability.
Like.....Plus you've not only got to get them playing individually at their best but also at their best as a team.
Of course they've had some decent performances during their time, they are decent players. But they are not as good as the players employed by most other Premiership clubs. Which of those has produced consistently enough during their time at Tigers to make anyone believe they'd get into the starting lineup at Saracens, Exeter, Wasps, Gloucester, Bath, Harlequins or even Northampton?

Has everyone forgotten how poor Tigers were last season? And the season before that? Some supporters have very selective memories.

Players have responsibility for their own performances, it's not all down to coaches.
We've got what we've got. So they are so hopeless there is no room for improvement?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jamie1880

Post by jamie1880 »

'Tigers Fans' on Twitter just tweeted this:

"Turns out MOC is being given the season to prove himself. Top 6 and he keeps his job. Below 6th and he’s sacked. Mark Bakewell is due to sign as forwards coach, just sorting the details out."

I don't think a mid season sacking would have worked, whilst I agree changes are much needed, January isn't the time. A lot of these players are inherited, and yes it is a coach's job to get the best out of them, but they're not up to scratch. His signings for next season will tell us a lot.

Experimental 4 weeks and then back to another tough run, starting at Kingsholm. Bring it on!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

jamie1880 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:30 pm 'Tigers Fans' on Twitter just tweeted this:

"Turns out MOC is being given the season to prove himself. Top 6 and he keeps his job. Below 6th and he’s sacked. Mark Bakewell is due to sign as forwards coach, just sorting the details out."

I don't think a mid season sacking would have worked, whilst I agree changes are much needed, January isn't the time. A lot of these players are inherited, and yes it is a coach's job to get the best out of them, but they're not up to scratch. His signings for next season will tell us a lot.

Experimental 4 weeks and then back to another tough run, starting at Kingsholm. Bring it on!
Top 6? Really?? :smt009
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Looking at the table, not simply points but points scored and difference for / against it looks like we'll be fighting for 6th base on form to date. In no order, Saracens, Wasps, Exeter, Bath, look top 4 obvious choices. We'll be competing with Quins, Sale, Newcastle, and Glouc for 5th and 6th. Sale and Newcastle are dark horses.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Clowbeck wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:09 pm Looking at the table, not simply points but points scored and difference for / against it looks like we'll be fighting for 6th base on form to date. In no order, Saracens, Wasps, Exeter, Bath, look top 4 obvious choices. We'll be competing with Quins, Sale, Newcastle, and Glouc for 5th and 6th. Sale and Newcastle are dark horses.
But that just doesn't add up to last year, Mauger and Cockers were sacked for less
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm
Clowbeck wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:09 pm Looking at the table, not simply points but points scored and difference for / against it looks like we'll be fighting for 6th base on form to date. In no order, Saracens, Wasps, Exeter, Bath, look top 4 obvious choices. We'll be competing with Quins, Sale, Newcastle, and Glouc for 5th and 6th. Sale and Newcastle are dark horses.
But that just doesn't add up to last year, Mauger and Cockers were sacked for less
I would say Cockers was sacked for accumulated failure over several previous seasons! Mauger? Who really knows?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

axisadman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 pm
ourla wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 am we used to take in players that didn't look great in other teams and improve them
Agreed - seems the other way round now, look at Gonova - Newcastle, Gibson - Saints, Slater, Williams - Gloucs, Waldron etc etc. Get some of them back for a short term fix.
Ellis Genge
Adam Thompstone
Telusa Veainu
Greg Bateman
Luke Hamilton
Nick Malouf

These have all improved during their time at Tigers.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm
I would say Cockers was sacked for accumulated failure over several previous seasons! Mauger? Who really knows?
If getting to the Premiership semi final as a minimum every single season was a failure then that's pretty arrogant and disrespectful to Saracens and Exeter.
That means only a Premiership Final appearance or winning it was acceptable. Even for Tigers, that's a very big expectation in such a tight and competitive league!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Considering where we are, top 6 would be a good result at the end of the season. Could brush ourselves down and move onwards and upwards being still in the Euro Cup.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

And Loffreda - who actually got Tigers to two finals and got fired the day after.

The simple fact is that whilst MoC may not be responsible for all the problems, as I said they seem systemic, it has got worse, not better, and therein lies the rub.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

G.K wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:03 pm
And Loffreda - who actually got Tigers to two finals and got fired the day after.

The simple fact is that whilst MoC may not be responsible for all the problems, as I said they seem systemic, it has got worse, not better, and therein lies the rub.
In two cases appointments, in the other failure to support with ££££ for players and coaches, and expecting miracles with B grade players all the time. BoD failures. And yes, Cockers was sacked for less, and it would've been cheaper to hire a couple more coaches AND shell out for a couple of class back row players.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.