Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Season over?

Post by ellis9 »

TTRITH wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:19 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 pm Why would the club lose money on season tickets? Supporters shouldn't stop turning up now things aren't going well.

Talk about fickle.
Fickle?! Costs me a grand in travel costs and ST alone to follow the Tigers. Its a 3 hour trip up, 3 hour trip home. That doesn't include refreshments or away trips.

Why on earth should I continue to hand money over to a club who have obvious problems but aren't addressing them.

I love this club and I will continue to love this club however I'm recently married and planning to start a family and buy a house. I come home from games :censored: off and upset why should I continue to give up my time and money when the players on the pitch seem less bothered about a loss than I do in the stand?!

Everyone has different reasons for stopping going to matches and that gives you no right to call people fickle if they choose to walk away.
So if we were winning every match and winning titles, would you still be considering not renewing?

Obviously there are many reasons, as you say, why people can no longer go. Finances is one. If someone can't afford to go, then fair enough, I 100% understand that. If someone chooses not to go as they are not seeing their team do as well as they used to and not play as well as they used to, then that's fickle.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 pm Why would the club lose money on season tickets? Supporters shouldn't stop turning up now things aren't going well.

Talk about fickle.
Let's try to clear this up...

The capacity at Welford Road is 25,849. The number of supporters who, by your definition, would never "even consider changing allegiances, let alone actually then start supporting another team" is nowhere near that number. To fill the stadium, the Club must therefore attract a lot of the "fickle" attendees who, irrespective of their degree of allegiance, simply want to watch good, live rugby and can go to WR or FG or the Ricoh to do so.

Let's call these people 'consumers' and let's recognise that they have a right to spend their money as they see fit. (Assuming anything else is arrogance in the extreme, is it not?)

Let's also recognise elasticity of demand is at play here. Unless you're a supporter who would pay to watch no matter what the team is playing like (in which case, demand is relatively inelastic), your propensity to buy a ticket is relatively elastic: that is, changes in quality and competitive offerings have a relatively large effect on demand unless the price drops to match the perceived drop in quality.

So, Tigers must either play more attractive rugby and win more matches/silverware - or reduce their ticket prices - or accept the slow demise that comes with ever dwindling crowds.

It's nothing to do with your definition of a 'fan' - it's economics.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Fickle or not fickle....lets just draw a line under this.

Thanks.

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:28 pm Fickle or not fickle....lets just draw a line under this.

Thanks.

:smt023
It's a legitimate discussion which I was trying to 'draw a line under' with reasoned argument as opposed to arrogant posturing.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:25 pm

Talk about fickle.
Let's try to clear this up...

The capacity at Welford Road is 25,849. The number of supporters who, by your definition, would never "even consider changing allegiances, let alone actually then start supporting another team" is nowhere near that number. To fill the stadium, the Club must therefore attract a lot of the "fickle" attendees who, irrespective of their degree of allegiance, simply want to watch good, live rugby and can go to WR or FG or the Ricoh to do so.

Let's call these people 'consumers' and let's recognise that they have a right to spend their money as they see fit. (Assuming anything else is arrogance in the extreme, is it not?)

Let's also recognise elasticity of demand is at play here. Unless you're a supporter who would pay to watch no matter what the team is playing like (in which case, demand is relatively inelastic), your propensity to buy a ticket is relatively elastic: that is, changes in quality and competitive offerings have a relatively large effect on demand unless the price drops to match the perceived drop in quality.

So, Tigers must either play more attractive rugby and win more matches/silverware - or reduce their ticket prices - or accept the slow demise that comes with ever dwindling crowds.

It's nothing to do with your definition of a 'fan' - it's economics.
That's the point. Why do people change clubs? I genuinely don't understand. I don't see how you can support one club and then change to another, no matter how poor and unsuccessful the club you support is. Yes, there are people who just turn up occasionally to watch a game of rugby but there are a lot more fans who have season tickets or buy match tickets and these are the ones that put the majority of the money into the club, not the minimal numbers who occasionally turn up. These fans shouldn't be switching their support.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:34 pm Why do people change clubs? I genuinely don't understand.
That's why I penned that long explanation.

They are exercising choice - just as you do for supermarkets, cars, hairdressers and your image consultant!

'nuff said.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:34 pm Why do people change clubs? I genuinely don't understand.
That's why I penned that long explanation.

They are exercising choice - just as you do for supermarkets, cars, hairdressers and your image consultant!

'nuff said.
I don't have a love or loyalty to any supermarket, car or barbers though.

I go to the must convenient supermarket, buy a car that I can afford and go to the most local barbers.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

The argument is lost now,who mentioned changing clubs?! They are not real fans at all,i know a sneaky,snidy little brown nose,glory hunting fanboy Chief who was always a Falcons fan,they are the worse lol. Im talking about die hard loyal fans at the end of their tether. Lets forget it now.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I'm die hard with usually :censored: high blood pressure after each game. Cut me in half green red and white blood pours out.

Forget being fickle get behind the lads either at the ground or following on the TV or radio.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

We're 4 points behind 5th and we're the only side that doesn't have to play the leaders / champions again - until the play-offs that is!

[How's that for positive?!]
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Teams above are going to take points off each other....start winning a few games and will move up the table.....the team can play and have shown that prior to December.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

4th is gone though,unless its the lowest points total to get there in recent years. We are not going to get 33-37 points,not imho.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 pm We're 4 points behind 5th and we're the only side that doesn't have to play the leaders / champions again - until the play-offs that is!

[How's that for positive?!]
:smt010 :smt010
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

60 points may get 4th this season
www.matthampson.co.uk
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

In scouse accent: "Calm down, calm down, calm down."

We are now in our traditional "comfort zone" - halfway through the season out of the play off places and with practically every premiership game from now on a must win. We've been here before. Even last season, which we all would agree was pretty disastrous (even Ellis9), we still made the play offs and were not far off winning an away semi final. Keep the faith. :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!