Post by TigerCam »

No - lets move on
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Bring back Cockers

Post by ellis9 »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 pm Slater is the very type of man we should have kept. Look how well he is doing with Glaws. He has put some bite into that pack which exactly what we lack. Yes I like May but we can win Jack without the ball.
I find this notion that the old ways were bad ways frankly ridiculous. Isnt our old ways exactly what Chiefs are doing now. Looks mighty successful to me. I think there are those who would rather throw the ball about than win. But I would prefer to be in Chiefs place than ours and when we used to play like we played and win I roared them on from the terrace with every grunt and shove they gave. And when I heard the opposition fans saying boring boring Leicester I just laughed in their face!
Apart from the first paragraph I agree. We don't miss Slater as much as people make out. We definitely have the best part of the May/Slater swap deal.

Exeter do exactly what we used to do which is what many fans found boring for some reason.

I said from the moment Mauger was brought in to "change the way we play" that it won't work. I've been proved right so far.

Oh and to answer the question, yes I'd bring back Cockers in a heart beat. We wouldn't have lost that Saints game last week if he was still in charge.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's a long time since we played as well as, or were as successful as, Exeter Chiefs are right now.

And to argue that they have achieved what they have because they simply chose to play that way is frankly a little insulting to them and massively simplistic.

Rugby isn't just a choice between playing through the forwards or "throwing it around". There are rather a lot more subtleties to it than that - and you can't just tick a box that says "play like Chiefs" and suddenly start winning things.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 am It's a long time since we played as well as, or were as successful as, Exeter Chiefs are right now.

And to argue that they have achieved what they have because they simply chose to play that way is frankly a little insulting to them and massively simplistic.

Rugby isn't just a choice between playing through the forwards or "throwing it around". There are rather a lot more subtleties to it than that - and you can't just tick a box that says "play like Chiefs" and suddenly start winning things.
No but playing more like them (well like Tigers of old) will mean we will start winning titles again.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:37 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 am It's a long time since we played as well as, or were as successful as, Exeter Chiefs are right now.

No but playing more like them (well like Tigers of old) will mean we will start winning titles again.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 am

There's nothing wrong with looking at a club and saying that's the model we want. Obviously, it won't be exactly the same which is why I said play LIKE them, not the same as them.

The results and trophies speak for themselves. When we used to play like it, we were successful. Sarries the same and now Exeter. Try and play "attractive", rugby like Wasps, Gloucester and Bath and you'll have the same results as them and an empty trophy cabinet like them.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:24 am

There's nothing wrong with looking at a club and saying that's the model we want. Obviously, it won't be exactly the same which is why I said play LIKE them, not the same as them.

The results and trophies speak for themselves. When we used to play like it, we were successful. Sarries the same and now Exeter. Try and play "attractive", rugby like Wasps, Gloucester and Bath and you'll have the same results as them and an empty trophy cabinet like them.
You can't just tick a box that says "play like Chiefs" and suddenly start winning things.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

TigerCam wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 pm No - lets move on
That's entirely your perogative. You can just ignore this topic. Others obviously disagree and in our "free" society can carry on if they wish, which is their perogative.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Hear hear Rugbyflanker! People have short memories. He was leading us down the wrong path for at least 4 years before they got rid of him. It takes a long time to get a club back on track, from where he left us. Knowing his stay was temporary meant that Mauger had no chance to change the tactical mind set. Good luck to Cockerill at Edinburgh, but back? Never.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:42 am

You can't just tick a box that says "play like Chiefs" and suddenly start winning things.
You've missed the point. Completely.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

We wouldn't have lost last week with Cockers in charge? Passing opinion over as fact again Ellis as per,we lost plenty of games with him in charge,but I forgot it's all Maugers fault ;)
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:09 am We wouldn't have lost last week with Cockers in charge? Passing opinion over as fact again Ellis as per,we lost plenty of games with him in charge,but I forgot it's all Maugers fault ;)
Of course it's my opinion! Do you want me to say "In my opinion" every time I write my opinion?! I don't speak like that so I'm not going to type like that. Who the hell says "In my opinion" every time they say an opinion?! Just the same as who says "Fact" every time they say something that's a fact?!

I thought people were educated enough to distinguish a fact from an opinion! Clearly, I was wrong!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 am

I understand your point, I just disagree with it because, in my opinion... You can't just tick a box that says "play like Chiefs" and suddenly start winning things.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:30 am
ellis9 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 am

I understand your point, I just disagree with it because, in my opinion... You can't just tick a box that says "play like Chiefs" and suddenly start winning things.
I haven't said that either. Exeter have used Tigers as a club to get to where they are today. They have looked at us as a team and club to aspire to although have done done things differently, there are things that are the same.

We should look at Exeter and say "That's how we should be playing, that will win us trophies". We won't do it exactly the same way but it will be very similar.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Here we go again. What makes me laugh about the OP is they keep trotting this out at the the slightest opportunity, because of their obsession with Cockerill.

My response as always, because I know they refuse to acknowledge it, is if we are going to bring anyone back there is someone far better qualified than Cockerill, both during his time at Tigers and consistently elsewhere since, one Dean Richards!!!