Bring back Cockers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger Cub

Bring back Cockers

Post by 1988 »

I for one feel we have messed up in letting Richard Cockerill go. He was what Tigers ‘were’ all about.
We were a club of tradition and integrity.
That has very much been lost and will not return.

Success is also a long way off, players not up to scratch as 4,5,6,7,8. Not able to carry the ball....to many knock ons. Kitchener in particular very poor
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bring back Cockers

Post by Rugbyflanker »

All that was happening with Cockers,and before Mauger came back so he can be blamed! A big no!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hahahaha no, though we do need someone of his passion, commitment and dog
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If you believe what was reported about a number of senior players playing a very large part in the demise of Cockers, it seems incomprehensible that that they would now allow him back. I fear they just wanted him off their backs and frankly that may account for why some have not been at the races ever since.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

It was a bit tongue in cheek to be honest.

But I would have him back in a heart beat. How we would love the top 4 now!

Which players are we talking about here? Surely the players should not be winning a power battle .....’this is not football’
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

One reason I would never have Cockers back is he didn’t move with the times. Could never see him making the May Slater swap which in my mind has been a success. Be a great forwards coach but no more.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

1988 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 pm I for one feel we have messed up in letting Richard Cockerill go. He was what Tigers ‘were’ all about.
We were a club of tradition and integrity.
That has very much been lost and will not return.

Success is also a long way off, players not up to scratch as 4,5,6,7,8. Not able to carry the ball....to many knock ons. Kitchener in particular very poor
Kitchener has actually been pretty good the last few weeks. The lineout went well for the last couple of weeks whilst he was on the pitch. The issue is our inability to put a tough no nonsense beast alongside him.

Cockers is a very good coach but both him and us needed to freshen things up. He's relishing his new challenge and we looked to improve initially.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

O’Connor for Mage was never a good change. There may have been better head coaches about, but O’Connor was never one of them. Just ask Leinster.
Valhalla I am coming!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Slater is the very type of man we should have kept. Look how well he is doing with Glaws. He has put some bite into that pack which exactly what we lack. Yes I like May but we can win Jack without the ball.
I find this notion that the old ways were bad ways frankly ridiculous. Isnt our old ways exactly what Chiefs are doing now. Looks mighty successful to me. I think there are those who would rather throw the ball about than win. But I would prefer to be in Chiefs place than ours and when we used to play like we played and win I roared them on from the terrace with every grunt and shove they gave. And when I heard the opposition fans saying boring boring Leicester I just laughed in their face!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm One reason I would never have Cockers back is he didn’t move with the times. Could never see him making the May Slater swap which in my mind has been a success. Be a great forwards coach but no more.
Could do with Slats now to provide the grunt upfront and leadership in the forwards.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Cockers gets his Edinburgh contract extended to 2021.

Done a great job turning the club around. Only Glasyhave won more pro14 games this season.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

He's a class act there is no doubt.

Not that I think either us or him should have any regrets. I suspect we are both better for it in the long term.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 pm He's a class act there is no doubt.

Not that I think either us or him should have any regrets. I suspect we are both better for it in the long term.
Yes I'd second that.
I thought Cockers was a bit hamstrung by injuries when I think of the amount of cap often missing during the latter part of his tenure, Cole, Slater, Manu, Toomua, he even lost Ayerza to injury for a decent spell, and the likes of Burns and Owen Williams and Mike Williams etc.
The bad luck seemed never ending at one stage.
Also some slightly blinded loyalty to some of the old boys network let him down in my opinion both on and off the field.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Always have been and always will be a Cockerill fan: he was very good with The Press and the fans. Injuries to key players and having to do too much himself meant in the modern game he was up against it. I hope I am proved wrong but I don’t think Matt O’Connor is an improvement: last week v Saints and this season’s home form and Development team results have been dire.
Even this week Matt O’Connor was saying how the team did a lot of very good things: Cockerill wouldn’t have said we did anything good if we lost to Saints!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Always have been and always will be a Cockerill fan: he was very good with The Press and the fans. Injuries to key players and having to do too much himself meant in the modern game he was up against it. I hope I am proved wrong but I don’t think Matt O’Connor is an improvement: last week v Saints and this season’s home form and Development team results have been dire.
Even this week Matt O’Connor was saying how the team did a lot of very good things: Cockerill wouldn’t have said we did anything good if we lost to Saints!