Tigers v Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Exeter

Post by TigerCam »

individual form is not the only attribute. There is also how the player fits both mentally, physically and socially. Eddie knows what he wants and who he wants
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

:smt002 :smt002
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:40 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:27 pm I cannot state how angry/disappointed etc I am with Tigers, got to leave it there, just hopeless. :smt010
MOC '"I was pleased with the first half as we kept a good side at bay while playing against a stiff breeze.
"However we didn't take our chances early in the second half as we didn't execute well enough and you can't afford to do that against Exeter.
"We lost a lot of the second-half collisions and they were very clinical and thoroughly deserved to win."

I read this as if it was from a Nat 1 side that had been playing as underdogs in a cup game? Not taking chances and not executing well has no excuses against any side not just the Chiefs? If the writing is not on the wall by now of poor performances by the forwards then all in positions of management at WR must be blind. There are no excuses. IMO swapping Slats for May was a really big mistake and that is said with no dis-respect of May.
I think he's speaking out of the orifice he normally sits on. Worse than the "look, xyz are a good side" speech we used to get from RC. I'm gutted my team is in this degree of mire.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

You and me both Big Dai,ashamed and embarrassed spring to mind and the rugby family is loving our demise!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

1st half we were at least competitive in a shambles of a Match . 2nd half we messed up every attacking chance we had and made costly mistakes time after time . Apart from the scrum the forwards are completely impotent - why still no 'top' forwards Coach. In attack we still ship passes on along the line and go backwards with regularity . Still no kick chase - don't our wingers understand what they are supposed to do ?
Aside from the starting front row , the only plus point was Manu .Some of the others were dreadful - Hamilton had a shocker , as did Thompstone '
After 6 weeks of dross the penny has dropped - we have a set of very overrated players who are poorly coached and have little spirit or enthusiasm - time for change now .
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:51 pm Disappointing in the end today but I thought Leicester stood up well first half, could've managed the ball a bit better and looked after possession better!
Exeter kept giving possession up and Leicester just didn't gain enough territorial advantage, game management didn't look after the forwards legs very well first half and they ran out of steam and against a strong Exeter bench!
A bit of a lack of direction or maybe some bottle lacking in taking responsibility in carrying it up in midfield to keep it tighter, gaining some ground was required and then kicking against the wind into Exeter's half for territory!
Polota-Nau has clearly improved the scrummaging overall and played quite well, more strong bodies with plenty of fight needed ASAP!
BFG, some sense at last ! I’m as angry as the next fan, but did we realistically expect anything else from Sandy Park ? I said before kick off that a losing bonus would’ve been a good return.

I agree, we did well in the first half without looking like scoring. You can’t fault the effort of the players, but when you’re down, you’re down and sometimes it’s vety hard to get out of a rut. The Armand try...fair enough, they’ve score a hundred of those in recent times....Fitz tries to take on Armand with Ewers driving him on....no contest. In the good old days, we’d have given a penalty away and conceded 3 points but Exeter are relentless. The Slade try, It was Ford’s high ball but he didn’t come forward...ball bounces....try. The try that annoyed me the most was the last one. We’re in their 22....a needless penalty by Baumann (I think)...up the field they go....another’s penalty....into the corner they go...try ! We gave up. That was like classic Tigers of 10 years ago, not always playing well but physically dominating sides and then forcing errors from the opposition.

Polota-Nau was decent I thought, as was Dan Cole who has given his all in every game. Manu showed signs that he’s getting there. The forwards issues have been well documented and can only be addressed with new signings unfortunately.

Those wishing for the old days of Tigers....there were only a couple of teams capable of taking us on up front...Bath and Wasps but we usually wore them down. Now everyone has big forwards and every game is competitive.

We’re in a massive hole, but 9 points behind Gloucester in 4th....Gloucester for pity’s sake !! We have to beat Irish with 5 points...if they lose at Saints we’re 4 points behind them, with Kingsholm next...win that and we’re in contention and confidence can build. Yeah yeah papering over the cracks etc but whay else can we do ? Shedweb seem to be more interested in Jonny May’s woes than their own success. Things can change very quickly.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Our position in the table is our main issue - We have the luxury of the Cup competitions coming up so we can use them to get some structure into our game - Results not important.
Having said that the Anglo-Welsh needs to be kept for the young guys

We play Irish this week then when the League comes back we face

Gloucester away
Quins at home
Saras away
Worcester away

We need to win three of them and use the Saras match to rest players

I would say if we lose to Gloucester and Quins then despite the financial cost O'Connor has to go.

We need a season our the top six so we can be involved in a weaker competition next year and use that tournament to develop and rest players, focusing on the League - This would, with the correct coaching allow us to make a serious challenge for the League in 2019 - 20 season

That's my belief - Basically two years of pain - a lot of pain.

We need to think long term that's the key.