Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu cited....

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:18 am
Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:26 pm Looking where his right arm is wrapped below the Munster players shoulders.....and the tackled players legs are bent and he is going down.....dont see much wrong with it to warrant a citing.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/manu-tuilagi-cit ... r-flanker/
I don't know if there are any better video clips , but in the one further down the page in this link it does appear that Manu's shoulder goes straight into Cloete's head... although it is difficult to be sure about the exact point of contact due to the low frame rate. But, if that is the case it's hardly surprising he's been cited.
To be citied, the player must be deemed to have committed a red card offence. The tackle may have looked a little bit high but it's a penalty at most so not worthy of a citing. It's a ridiculous call.
Tackling a player in the head is potentially a red card.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It now seems that there are different levels of "dangerous tackles" - ecpr site has this - The warning issued to Jean Kleyn arising from the Leicester Tigers v Munster Rugby, Pool 4 match on Sunday, 17 December was for a dangerous tackle on the Leicester Tigers prop, Dan Cole, in contravention of Law 10.4 (j). The match Citing Commissioner was Jeff Mark (Wales).
Don't know when this happened in the game - any info???
Hehehehehehehehe
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 am
Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 am

I don't know if there are any better video clips , but in the one further down the page in this link it does appear that Manu's shoulder goes straight into Cloete's head... although it is difficult to be sure about the exact point of contact due to the low frame rate. But, if that is the case it's hardly surprising he's been cited.
To be citied, the player must be deemed to have committed a red card offence. The tackle may have looked a little bit high but it's a penalty at most so not worthy of a citing. It's a ridiculous call.
He didn't tackle him in the head though!
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Interestingly I note that former Tiger Leon Lloyd is sitting on a number of hearings today as part of the Independent DIsciplinary Committee.

Good to see (recent) former players involved.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:21 am
Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 am

He didn't tackle him in the head though!
In the clip I referred to it does appear as though the initial point of contact was with the head. As I said, it's not the best video and given the frame rate of the video and the speed of the tackle it isn't conclusive. But based on that clip, I can't see any reason to be surprised by the citing.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

In a quasi-legal system - which the citing process is - a precedent becomes either binding on or persuasive for a tribunal when deciding subsequent cases with similar issues or facts. If Manu receives any form of sanction, I'm not sure many future matches will get by without someone getting a ban afterwards.

Hearing this morning, apparently.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Read in today's paper that kind of offence carries a MINIMUM of 6 weeks :smt017 If he is found guilty of that, its absolutely bonkers.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm
HantsTiger wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:04 pm I hate to risk getting added to the bah humbug list, but has a citing ever been thrown out? I think it was Flats on his podcast who said 'if you go up before them it's a weeks ban minimum, as they throw them out before they get to the board'. Now that's his opinion but how close is it to fact?!
Their have been citings that have been either deemed to be just worthy of a retrospective yellow card or have been dismissed.
Didn't Hartley have his last citing dismissed?

This does truly seem to be a nonsense.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:55 pm Read in today's paper that kind of offence carries a MINIMUM of 6 weeks :smt017 If he is found guilty of that, its absolutely bonkers.
Don't trust what you read in the paper. Minimum 2 weeks.
http://www.epcrugby.com/news/36942.php#.Wjpfw9Jl_cs
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Citing complaint against Manu Tuilagi dismissed :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Panel deemed it reckless play (yellow card) but not worthy of a red card. Leicester head coach Matt O'Connor tells bbc5live "sanity has prevailed." Manu "free to play".

The Citing Commissioner has now been cited for wasting everyone's time and will go before a Hearing, Thinking and Common Sense Commission as soon as he's been sighted.
Last edited by strawclearer on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 pm Citing complaint against Manu Tuilagi dismissed :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Panel deemed it reckless play but not worthy of a red card. Leicester head coach Matt O'Connor tells bbc5live "sanity has prevailed."
Im very very pleased to be proven wrong, I really thought they would "stick together" Sense at last.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 pm Citing complaint against Manu Tuilagi dismissed :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Panel deemed it reckless play but not worthy of a red card. Leicester head coach Matt O'Connor tells bbc5live "sanity has prevailed."
Im very very pleased to be proven wrong, I really thought they would "stick together" Sense at last.
Begs the question, why was he ever cited? Just about everyone has said it was poppycock, does the citing chap know anything about Rugby?
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

daktari wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Begs the question, why was he ever cited? Just about everyone has said it was poppycock, does the citing chap know anything about Rugby?
https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... 6429442048

Comments are worth reading
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Panel deemed it reckless play (yellow card) but not worthy of a red card. Leicester head coach Matt O'Connor tells bbc5live "sanity has prevailed." Manu "free to play".

The Citing Commissioner has now been cited for wasting everyone's time and will go before a Hearing, Thinking and Common Sense Commission as soon as he's been sighted.
Well I never.
I'm not cynical just experienced
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

In a way, you were right, they still considered it a yellow. Fudge, anyone?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….