The Goon Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

The Goon Squad

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

With all the talk of a lack of dog on the field, perhaps the club should look to the "security" personnel they employ.

No one would dare even enter the breakdown.

Our stewards have always been lovely, the chap at the stairs of the Crumbie where we sit is delightful, but we now seem to have added other people in yellow jackets with "security" on the back who, in my experience , are officious, pompous and borderline intimidating.

After games my wife and I make our way from the Crumbie around to the Aylestone Road end of the Holland and Barret stand to meet friends in the Final Whistle. We have always been able to freely enter through the doors at the end of the stand near the corner of the ground as by the time we get there the stand has emptied.

On Sunday however there were three yellow coats physically blocking the doorway and when I asked if we could get in we were simply told, in no uncertain terms, "No" with a hand raised to stop us. I said we always had been able to previously and was then told "No you haven't!" in a quite intimidatory way, as though I were about to start a fight in a night club.

When my wife said we were meeting friends and that she wanted to get to the loos Herr Gelbejacke simply said "Go round".

At the very least these plastic policemen need to learn some customer service - how about "Sorry sir, this door is now exit only" with a smile? How about interpreting their orders - I can understand exits being one way whilst the stands empty, but this was well after everyone had finished exiting and the area inside the door was totally clear.

I've always felt at home at Welford Road, but it seems to be turning into a soulless unfriendly place not designed for us but for the ease of the staff. And let's not even get started on the bars!
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: The Goon Squad

Post by ourla »

From the reports of misbehaviour on Sunday maybe the punters bring it upon themselves? Or rather, the rest of us.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Unfortunately, I also experienced something similar from stewards/security on Sunday evening. Like you, I was trying to locate a friend, in the Robin Hood stand, but told that I was not allowed to re enter the stadium, (having exited at the Holland and Barrett stand). No apology and no explanation. Not a big deal, as I was able to enter at another point, but maybe it is a new policy (perhaps brought on by some supporter behaviour?) I can understand it if the intention is to completely empty the ground of fans, but the stadium is always bustling with people after a game, so it seemed a bit odd to me.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Like most of these types of people they will be flat track bullies, fine to push those around who aren't really a threat but nowhere to be seen when the real trouble makers are kicking off!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Crowd issues at Munster game? Alluded to in another thread - anyone throw any light onto this? All was fine in my section of the terrace.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:12 am Crowd issues at Munster game? Alluded to in another thread - anyone throw any light onto this? All was fine in my section of the terrace.
I think this all started with a tweet and video from a guy called 'RugbyInsideLine' - a Saints mouthpiece who hates everything Tigers. The clip was meant to show Tigers fans swearing at the ref at half-time although I couldn't make out what was being said.

I invariably avoid arguing with troll-numptys on Twitter but this guy bad-mouthed our supporters so...it went something like this:

RugbyInsideLine: "Leicester supporters are a disgrace with the language aimed at the ref going into the tunnel.
Ban those involved."

Me: "That's a disgraceful remark. If there was bad language, it was by a handful of people, no more. You failed to mention the 26,000 fans who roared their displeasure with the awarding of penalties but who then totally respected the Munster kicker. A ban is in order - you!"

RugbyInsideLine: "Key part of my tweet is, “Ban for those involved”

Me: "No - the key part of your diatribe is the opening 5 words - "Leicester supporters are a disgrace..."
I and 26,000 supporters (minus a handful) await your apology if you're 'big' enough to proffer it."

Funnily enough, he's not responded!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 pm I think this all started with a tweet and video from a guy called 'RugbyInsideLine' - a Saints mouthpiece who hates everything Tigers. The clip was meant to show Tigers fans swearing at the ref at half-time although I couldn't make out what was being said.
<snip>
I stopped following this particular Twitter account sometime ago.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

thebearisstilldeano wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:36 am With all the talk of a lack of dog on the field, perhaps the club should look to the "security" personnel they employ.

No one would dare even enter the breakdown.

Our stewards have always been lovely, the chap at the stairs of the Crumbie where we sit is delightful, but we now seem to have added other people in yellow jackets with "security" on the back who, in my experience , are officious, pompous and borderline intimidating.

After games my wife and I make our way from the Crumbie around to the Aylestone Road end of the Holland and Barret stand to meet friends in the Final Whistle. We have always been able to freely enter through the doors at the end of the stand near the corner of the ground as by the time we get there the stand has emptied.

On Sunday however there were three yellow coats physically blocking the doorway and when I asked if we could get in we were simply told, in no uncertain terms, "No" with a hand raised to stop us. I said we always had been able to previously and was then told "No you haven't!" in a quite intimidatory way, as though I were about to start a fight in a night club.

When my wife said we were meeting friends and that she wanted to get to the loos Herr Gelbejacke simply said "Go round".

At the very least these plastic policemen need to learn some customer service - how about "Sorry sir, this door is now exit only" with a smile? How about interpreting their orders - I can understand exits being one way whilst the stands empty, but this was well after everyone had finished exiting and the area inside the door was totally clear.

I've always felt at home at Welford Road, but it seems to be turning into a soulless unfriendly place not designed for us but for the ease of the staff. And let's not even get started on the bars!
That is where you went wrong. Had you been paralytic, abusive and loud you would have been fine? Make sure you get 10 pints down you before you turn up at WR in future and all will be well!!!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think Police were called to the Welford Rd end of the Crumbie stand on Sunday! Something very noisy going on at that end!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 pm I think Police were called to the Welford Rd end of the Crumbie stand on Sunday! Something very noisy going on at that end!
Probably cheering Munster supporters?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Sadly I think it's all down to possible terrorism threats before and after games, also a couple of Years back thieves were getting in after games at unmanned gates and pilfering things from the club offices and other areas.
Tongue in cheek : stole our ability to win big games. :smt022
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 pm I think Police were called to the Welford Rd end of the Crumbie stand on Sunday! Something very noisy going on at that end!
According to the unoffy it was some individuals urinating in beer containers. How delightful :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Well I suppose Saints fans have to do something to occupy their time as their team is pathetic this season.
Let;s weep a little tear for this guy who seems to be a certifiable idiot! :smt030
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Sadly this sort of thing is not just limited to Tigers. They fit perfectly into Voice of the Crumbie's Law which states: Give a person a little bit of authority and they will always abuse it even more so if you provide them with a nice high viz jacket and a peaked cap to go with it.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I have no idea what the trouble was on the Crumbie as I saw none of it. However most of the Tiger's stewards have been with us for a long time and are very good, there are a few new people and they are probably regular at Leicester City and other football grounds and are not yet familiar with the more relaxed firm but fair attitude at a rugby venue. When there is trouble it is not surprising if there is a hardening of attitude. Any one who feels they have a genuine complaint should email the club, or if they like pm me and I will raise it with the relevant people on their behalf and at the next forum meeting which of course will be an open forum.