Tigers v SArries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v SArries

Post by trendylfj »

There must be some things we are not aware of - why is Rizzo not on bench??? Is O'Connor not in favour or fit??? I would have also started with TPN and Tom on the bench but then, I won't have have of the forum on my back if we lose the next 2 games.
Hehehehehehehehe
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Leicester Tigers (v Saracens, Welford Road, Christmas Eve 3pm)

15 Mathew Tait

14 Adam Thompstone

13 Manu Tuilagi

12 Matt Toomua

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford

9 Ben Youngs

1 Logovi’i Mulipola

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Mike Fitzgerald

5 Graham Kitchener

6 Valentino Mapapalangi

7 Mike Williams

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau

17 Kyle Traynor

18 Chris Baumann

19 Harry Wells

20 Luke Hamilton

21 Sam Harrison

22 Joe Ford

23 Nick Malouf
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Looking at the teams, I realistically see us getting nothing from the game. We're out of form and their bench is strong!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We can win this, Skelton won’t last any longer than Mulipola but Vincent Koch is a guy I would like to see in Tigers colours
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm There must be some things we are not aware of - why is Rizzo not on bench??? Is O'Connor not in favour or fit??? I would have also started with TPN and Tom on the bench but then, I won't have have of the forum on my back if we lose the next 2 games.
I have the same concerns about no jackal, when slowing down and contesting breakdown seemed to be a huge weakness.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Scott11 post_id=680434 time=1513944036 user_id=11696]
Traynor and Baumann on the bench! 0/4 coming up Sarries by 6-10
[/quote]

Most of the bookies have Sarries as marginal favourites, and on current form you, and they, are probably right.

I like the match-up in the backs. Not so much the forwards. As the adage goes, it's the forwards who win you the game; the backs by how much.

Also agree with the bench assessment - continued disappointment in the front row. Still without Bateman, Cilliers, Rizzo, the new Argentine guy (and Gengy). Can't see Mulipola lasting beyond 60 mins, so when Sarries bring on Barrington and Koch, we will struggle in the scrums - fodder for Farrell?

Ho-hum! It seems, once again, 'we go in hope, rather than expectation'
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Given the concerns re. the breakdown I'm disappointed not to see O'Connor or Evans in the mix. Locks plus back row are big although I'm surprised not to see Barrow in the 23 or Hamilton starting. Rizzo is also a mystery omission to me. In the backs, the more they play together, the better they'll get. Given Toomua's experience at 10, I'd have included Holmes or Worth rather than Joe Ford.

'TigersFans' on twitter reporting:

Bateman - Likely back for Exeter
Owen - Exeter 50/50, Irish 100%
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

The Rizzo situation is very odd. Baumann is effectively on the bench in case of two injuries.

I agree it's pointless having Joe Ford on the bench another one who is only there solely in case of injury. Worth would be a much better shout for me, covers full back and centre, and surely we need to start giving him some game time.

Always hopeful of a win, but I'd be surprised if we get anything before the Irish game.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Their front 5 and bench 16-20 are gonna have us on toast
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

ghdav27 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:25 pm The Rizzo situation is very odd. Baumann is effectively on the bench in case of two injuries.

I agree it's pointless having Joe Ford on the bench another one who is only there solely in case of injury. Worth would be a much better shout for me, covers full back and centre, and surely we need to start giving him some game time.

Always hopeful of a win, but I'd be surprised if we get anything before the Irish game.
I suspect Joe Ford is there in case we need a replacement goal-kicker.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Quote: Head Coach Matt O’Connor said: “We did a lot of good things against Munster last weekend and moving back into the Premiership over the next couple of weeks, that will put us in good stead."

Was I wtaching the right game last week? Because last week was a shambles and this team looks set to repeat it.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

drc_007 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:42 pm
ghdav27 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:25 pm The Rizzo situation is very odd. Baumann is effectively on the bench in case of two injuries.

I suspect Joe Ford is there in case we need a replacement goal-kicker.
Matt Toomua and Shazam are both excellent (and quick) goal kickers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am the enternal optimist, but I think I may lose my £1 bet this weekend. They have good strength in depth on the bench. But I will be watching behind my fingers and praying that santa does me a solid and realises that I have been a good boy this year and deserve this!!
We need to make sure the kick chase is better than the last few weekends and discipline needs to be switched on and flawless.
We shall see, but like most, more in hope than actual belief.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think it;s a good move to put Mullipola on from the start as his weight might be the telling factor in the front row battle. :smt026
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Definitely an odd decision to bring rizzo back then not give him any game time, even on the bench, when we’ve seen Traynor and beaumann aren’t up to the job Traynor getting withdrawn after 20mins. Thought they’d of started Hamilton and save malapalangi for impact off the bench or put Williams into the row, for Kitchener and bring Evans onto the bench. As some have said I don’t see the point of joe ford myself but I think there may be concerns over Holmes defense have watched the highlight of the development game he seemed to fly out the line a lot getting no where near the man or ball giveing a few try’s away. I’d have preferred a center on the bench with Owen, smith(who played well with Toomua early season) worth or fatiaki who we bought in and have see nothing of, pakalai or even olowofela to cover fullback so Tait can cover centre.