Tigers v SArries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v SArries

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Sarries significantly improved against Clermont on Sunday only losing by 3 points. Something Tigers failed to do against Munster. Tigers will have to play as well they can to stand a chance of winning. Play like they did against Exeter and a win is possible. Play below that standard and they are likely to lose. It will be won, if at all, in the forwards. Excellent though our backline is they will achieve little or nothing without the ball or if they are on the back foot defending.

I'm encouraged by Manu being available. Maybe our luck is turning.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I want Rizzo back and Tafu starting with Evans at openside, I wish that Santa grants the win!!!!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Whatever selection plays the only requirements are to front up, defend really well, have a game plan that works given the opposition and get their confidence back. I would imagine that there is a fair bit of 'fragility' in the locker room at the moment? A well structured win against Sarries will the best Christmas present they can give each other - and us supporters.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Along with being near Pat Cilliers in the Big stand (Caterpillar, GNC, Met-RX, Holland & Barratt) on Sunday, there was another prop who I'd love to see put his boots back on and have a run out - Julian White. Now there is a leader on the field of the like that we need at times like this. But there again, that was a couple of years ago, when we were awash with leaders on the field, Johnno, Martin Corry, Lewis Moody, Ben Kay, Neil Back, Darren Garforth, Julian W, etc.

They weren't all Leicester born and bred either but as a unit there was a gel that made Welford Road a fortress. Who do we have in our current squad that has the same "never go backwards" attitude? The style of play was different then, as per another thread, in that we kept hold of the ball and when the time was right we let the backs loose, much like Sarries and Exeter etc are doing now.

Yes, we ground out some ugly wins, but at the pointy end of the season, the ugly wins is what lands a trophy. The new style of play, running rugby, that appears to be the aspiration of some may work at some point but I just hope the transitional period doesn't carry on much longer.

It's already been said, but last Sunday against Munster there were far too many penalties for silly schoolboy errors, our defense was seriously lacking and the predictable box-kicking to the opposition needs to be fixed and fast. We just need to do the simple things better, keep hold of the ball and score.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Another poster living in the past, we haven't got players like that anymore and as long as we keep on playing to the standard displayed recently we won't attract players of this category. Gone are the days when we could attract top players as other clubs have better training facilities, better squads and quite a few places are far better to live in than Leicester.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ghdav27 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 pm Presumably it was tactical to take Traynor off after 25 mins last week which was bizarre!
Or very clever.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am
ghdav27 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 pm Presumably it was tactical to take Traynor off after 25 mins last week which was bizarre!
Or very clever.
It makes sense that you'd want the two best props to play the majority of the game and mulipola hasn't got 80 in him. But it's seems like damage limitation to give him the first 25 which with Rizzo knocking around seems a bit unnecessary.

I don't know all the facts but I just found it odd!
Maybe it will be a revolutionary new tactic that will change rugby forever!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Maybe MOC is out of his depth?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Balance, people, balance that's all we need. I'm fed up of the old men on here moaning about the good old days. A good pack and a good backline and we can both play attractive and physical rugby. Our squad was never a midnight fix, I expressed that on another thread because we follow the salary cap rules and the RFU bought Cohen into shutting up about Sarries and Wasps breaking the salary cap we couldn't just suddenly assemble a very good backline and a good pack at the same time over one-season. You always seem to complain that we aren't signing A-Listers and signing journeymen instead but then when we do sign A-Listers everyone complains that they are away with the national team all the time. Hopefully next season they will bolster the pack and get a A* Forwards Coach. If we play Saracens at their strengths and be physical like the Exeter game, the quality of the our restored backline should pull us through against a well-drilled and well-coached Saracens that have a few star players missing. And if Manu gets injured again at a Saracens match well then :smt013 :smt017 :smt006
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:50 pm when we do sign A-Listers everyone complains that they are away with the national team all the time.
I don't think everyone complains JP, in fact I wouldn't mind if the odd one stayed away because being drained and all :smt005 they are more like C-Listers, and we know what C stands for!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:50 pm Balance, people, balance that's all we need. I'm fed up of the old men on here moaning about the good old days. A good pack and a good backline and we can both play attractive and physical rugby. Our squad was never a midnight fix, I expressed that on another thread because we follow the salary cap rules and the RFU bought Cohen into shutting up about Sarries and Wasps breaking the salary cap we couldn't just suddenly assemble a very good backline and a good pack at the same time over one-season. You always seem to complain that we aren't signing A-Listers and signing journeymen instead but then when we do sign A-Listers everyone complains that they are away with the national team all the time. Hopefully next season they will bolster the pack and get a A* Forwards Coach. If we play Saracens at their strengths and be physical like the Exeter game, the quality of the our restored backline should pull us through against a well-drilled and well-coached Saracens that have a few star players missing. And if Manu gets injured again at a Saracens match well then :smt013 :smt017 :smt006
As one of the quote "Old men on here" I realise we can't suddenly turn the clock back and get the quality and stature of the players of the Johnno era. What I do wish for is the stability and "dog" of that era. A pack should be more than the apparent sum of it's parts. Similarly the back line. Selection seems to be something of a lottery, rather than a planned rotation. (I know injuries have played a part here) and I also feel we suffer from short termism (especially in the back row) each time the end of season merry go round occurs. I think I'm agreeing with you, drawing from experiences of the past rather than harking back to them.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 pm
As one of the quote "Old men on here" I realise we can't suddenly turn the clock back and get the quality and stature of the players of the Johnno era. What I do wish for is the stability and "dog" of that era. A pack should be more than the apparent sum of it's parts. Similarly the back line. Selection seems to be something of a lottery, rather than a planned rotation. (I know injuries have played a part here) and I also feel we suffer from short termism (especially in the back row) each time the end of season merry go round occurs. I think I'm agreeing with you, drawing from experiences of the past rather than harking back to them.
I wish for the stability and the dog although the latter maybe a little restricted by more cameras and new laws. However I disagree with that selection is currently a lottery, any rotation has been made by injuries, different competitions and international periods. It’s very difficult to maintain a consistent starting XV throughout the season. These means that we need a squad that has enough depth to allow us a few injuries. That is what we need at the moment as well as consistency
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

The dog is a little more than illegally sorting out the opposition. It's a common will. Being able to front up. Play the ref and also to be street wise. With consistency of selection this becomes easier. That's consistency over many seasons not over one season. Sometimes it feels to me the available names for the back row are thrown into a hat and drawn out. We can't even be certain where a given player will fit accros the back row. Is he an 8, 6, 7 or even a second row?
I'm finding it more and more difficult to get any identity with the side. You get used to one set of players and then it's all change again.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A lack of a true enforcer like captain troubles me, although I was impressed with Evans captaining in the A League I don't if he is our future Captain. While Tom Youngs is loyal to a fault and one-club man I often find his captaining unsatisfactory and he doesn't question the ref at all