Tigers v SArries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v SArries

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

How can people blame MOC when we are missing a forwards coach. Also wouldn’t mind Murphy leaving, sad truth is he only got the gig cos he’s an ex Tigers great. Great player, not coach. Handling has been awful with him in charge as skills coach. That’s hardly MOC’s fault, Murphy was already there when he was appointed. Whole coaching staff need a revamp with MOC and Stanko remaining. Vesty would make a top skills coach.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Haven't got around to seeing the game yet - festive preparations took precedence, but it would appear that I have missed yet another 80 mins of Tigers dross which is becoming the status quo?

As I have said before, until the Tigers get a set of coaches that can bring some structure, grunt and fortitude to the paddock, the Tigers will be lucky to stay mid-table.

I have never be one to think that past players of a club make the best coaches for the same club. IMHO, a fresh set of eyes and ideas always makes good sense to 'fix' the players' mind and resolve.

Based on the past performances, I can only see a rather large drubbing coming as a post-Christmas present from Sandy Lane on the 31st. As for the games that are left in the ERC, I do not see any 'W's' in the results column either?

If MOC's game-plan is the same as it was the last time he was at WR - score more trys than the opposition then for me May (the month) cannot come quickly enough as the For and Against columns will make sad reading.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

MOC is a poor coach,take a look.at what he did to Leinster. 2 years it took for him to destroy them,might not take him that long here by the looks of it!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

As expected another defeat, three in a row at "Fortress Welford Road"? Some Fortress!

So one year on and several coach changes later Tigers are in a worse position in all competitions than this time last year.

I see no realistic proposition of it getting better this season. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

The ref was an inconsistent joke.

Our scrum has been on point even since Boris took over. One of our coaches deserves credit.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Yep,Stanko deserves credit. Him only though!
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

I think this is simply where Tigers are these days. We can argue how they got here (recruitment etc), but this team is not a top European or Prem team. It can be competitive, occasionally, or for the odd 40 mins, but essentially is an also-ran, and today's performance was hence about par.

MOC is going to need more time, if we are being fair, although, equally, the signs aren't unambiguously positive...yet. The "we searched the globe" line may prove to be a fine epitaph for the board in time, and has rather hurt their reputation on "the terraces".

So, in the right context, today's performance and result was no huge out of character surprise. Where I think it is fair to take issue is a) it really does need to be tougher for teams to come to Welford Road and win, i.e. Sarries win, but limp out of Leciestershire knowing they have had to dig deep to edge the victory, and b) as mentioned by other posters, there were a few too many happy smiley faces at the end, joshing with Sarries players. Am all for camaraderie in the game etc, but losing at home, and *again*, simply has to have a larger visible impact on the players - the fan-base and history of the club demands it.

As for where Tigers go from here, thank heavens for Boris. If Tigers hadn't had the edge in the scrum then it could have been something of a bloodbath today. The rest is not good enough - game plan, structure, skills etc - and some new coaches will have a spin at that. I think we would all like 1, 2, or 3 serious signings in the forwards (back 5) - the last marquee signing was arguably Kitchener (as perceived at the time, i.e. highly promising and coveted Saxon), given that Genge was too raw to be even that (although clearly is working out well).

Hence, this is just where we are now folks, and today was no better or worse than might have been expected. There is clearly a lot of work to do, but while it might be reasonable to cast a slightly cynical glance in MOC's direction, it is way too soon to cast judgement. My one real gripe with him, and arguably totally unfair, is that if he can't show some discipline re his own "conditioning" then it does raise other questions, and also how players might react to instruction - I say this as the Miami Dolphins had this issue a few years ago with Tony Sparano, and ended up having to tell him to be professional and sort himself out. Anyway, I don't mean to be overly mean spirited or personal about that, but is valid I think.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Folk need to get a grip in my opinion!
Different coach but the same problems!
Until the players do the basics properly winning against good teams like Sarries will be very difficult.
Decision making i.e holding onto the ball instead of attempting a miracle pass, attempting the golden intercept instead of man marking and using the touch line as the outside defence, running directly into contact at full speed with no control and no leg drive which is easy to defend against and easy to lose control of possession on impact and resulting poor presentation etc, stupidly silly decision making errors at this level of the sport that no coach can account for in my opinion!
The same basics that were failing under the last coach, the coach before that and the coach before that still fail!
By the way Boris is no miracle coach in my opinion, he is simply a benefactor of not being forced to pick weak players in the front row, I'd put money on the level of training intensity increasing massively in that area this week with Polota-Nau here and it showed today!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

BFG daily Thacker dig nicely snook in,bravo! 😉
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Cant remember TPN being here last season in this same fixture when we bossed them! TY blew it that time though taking the 3 points when we were in top. Stanko has definitely made a difference,100%!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Some good things, some bad things. In the grand scheme of things at the moment a loss at home to Saracens isn’t a surprise sadly.

Front row played well and given all his critics thought Kitchener has been getting each week, putting in some decent shifts. Normally a massive fan of Williams, but for all his carrying didn’t make any go forwards and hoping BOC and Ryan will be back soon for 7.

Same with Fitzgerald, too lightweight for the premiership and hoping for Barrow to return. Need two new locks for next season.

Tuilagi when he kept hold of the ball looked good and Thompstone seems to be getting back to last seasons level. Seems like we have a winning set of backs but the forwards especially the back 5 need to sort it out.

A loss next week isn’t the end of the world. Exeter away is the toughest game in the premiership at the minute. Hopefully some players returning from injury can get some much needed game time.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Things to change:-
-New forward and skills coach.
-Tom Young’s is not up to scratch as a captain, refs in this league are incompetent but you have to get on there side to get the decisions, a good example was Kitch moaning, the captain should be the only person questioning decisions or having an opinion and clearly Tom doesn’t have this in him.
-recruitment, new back up project fly half, an enforcer at lock and cover at centre, Manu looks like a squeaky door waiting to break.
The tigers have world class players but changes need to be made, as for MOC I think his head will role before the top brass, just seems the way it is!!o
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Yes well Scott it's a sad fact that Leicester have been forced to waste their potential quality at the scrum for far too long now because of weak players!
It was very good to see Cole allowed to do in a Leicester shirt what he has been doing for England for a long time, and with Mulipola back which was good to see!
Today was much better in that area, the rest needs a little time to build on from that, that's if those with an agenda will allow!
It's clear some Mauger bitterness still exists from people like Scott who obviously desire the current coaches to fail and a quick exit is sought off a run of bad results just so they can say I told you so, which is quite selfish and pathetic!
There is no magic coaching wand to fix Leicester's problems and it was always going to take some time whoever the coach!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Nonsense! I dont want him to fail,im simply saying he will because he isnt good enough,simple as! Im just not one of the happly clapping,blind faith sheep is all.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

We can't keep sacking coaches every few months. This same group of players has already seen off three coaches last year. Also we need a proper backroom team not just a bunch of ex players who we keep giving jobs too.