Triple Whammy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jacko27

Triple Whammy

Post by Jacko27 »

If like me you have the misfortune of being an avid Rugby, Cricket and (to a slightly lesser extent) football fan and you are Leicestershire born & bred (Loughborough, since you ask) this has been an utterly dire weekend. Tigers eliminated (effectively) from Europe, Foxes "nilled" at home by relegation-threatened Palace and the Ashes tamely handed back to Australia by England after another humiliating thrashing. The question I ask myself is why it is that despite being a reasonably aware and self aware human being in my sixties, I still experience unreasonable levels of frustration, mild depression and anger when "my" teams lose. What makes it worse is that living down south I am geographically much closer to Saracens than Welford Road, much closer to the Oval or Chelmsford (home of the County Cricket Champions) than Grace Road and closer to the Emirates than the King Power but I know with absolute certainty that I could never and will never switch allegiances. So there's no escape!

I know that sport doesn't really matter compared with the genuinely important things in life and I know that supporting a Club usually means accepting the regular ache of defeat in return for the occasional fleeting joy of victory but despite all this knowledge it doesn't get better. It still hurts!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Triple Whammy

Post by TigerCam »

Jacko27 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:20 pm If like me you have the misfortune of being an avid Rugby, Cricket and (to a slightly lesser extent) football fan and you are Leicestershire born & bred (Loughborough, since you ask) this has been an utterly dire weekend. Tigers eliminated (effectively) from Europe, Foxes "nilled" at home by relegation-threatened Palace and the Ashes tamely handed back to Australia by England after another humiliating thrashing. The question I ask myself is why it is that despite being a reasonably aware and self aware human being in my sixties, I still experience unreasonable levels of frustration, mild depression and anger when "my" teams lose. What makes it worse is that living down south I am geographically much closer to Saracens than Welford Road, much closer to the Oval or Chelmsford (home of the County Cricket Champions) than Grace Road and closer to the Emirates than the King Power but I know with absolute certainty that I could never and will never switch allegiances. So there's no escape!

I know that sport doesn't really matter compared with the genuinely important things in life and I know that supporting a Club usually means accepting the regular ache of defeat in return for the occasional fleeting joy of victory but despite all this knowledge it doesn't get better. It still hurts!
Every one loves a winner, especially when it is your own side - club and country. I will never support any other club. I was taken to the Tigers by my family (Leicester born and bred) and will never be disloyal no matter how testing it becomes, and these few years have been really testing!! I have Welsh nephews and nieces who I love dearly but come the 6Ns the line is drawn in the sand.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Yep. When the best telly I got this weekend was the strictly final I knew I was in trouble. Totally empathise with this perspective.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Brought up in Leicester and Loughborough; started supporting the Leicester Fosse (never got used to this 'Foxes' nonsense) back in the days of Keyworth, Stringfellow and Cross; next door neighbour was Secretary of Leics CC and I played Leics League; Dad played for Tigers with another relative a Tigers & Scotland fly-half.

So - yes, losing is never easy but, like any good supporter (I mean, masochist) I kinda like it even when it hurts!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I've been mardy (good Leicester word) all day! Terrible sporting weekend for Leicester and England fans.

Why should it really matter so much......I don't know, but as Jacko says it just does!!
Soggypitch
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

"Mardy" is an excellent word. Haven't heard it for donkeys' years probably not since my Aunty Flo told my brother & me not to be so "blumming mardy" back in 1961! And yes I've been mardy all weekend!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I am the same- Leicester through and through but at least Riders won in Newcastle( Newcastle always in the mix for honours) then beat Leeds Force easily. Like others I find it hard to lose, especially through poor tactics and indiscipline; when doing Tag Rugby coaching I tell the children there is no fun in losing! Now Saints have thumped our A team it just compounds the woeful efforts of City, Tigers and England Cricket, but it makes me more determined to cheer the team on even more V Sarries. Sadly lots of our fans are being far too quiet. The only thing we mere mortals can do is show our support even though these are puzzling times! Confidence is low and surely our luck will change with injuries and the bounce of the ball. After all we did beat Exeter and Quins away when we showed true Tiger passion!
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

Try being married to a Munster fan. Mardy. As. :censored:.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Some mornings I wake up mardy.

Other mornings I just let her sleep.

[I am in so much trouble if she sees this! :smt009 ]
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:59 am Some mornings I wake up mardy.

Other mornings I just let her sleep.

[I am in so much trouble if she sees this! :smt009 ]
Too late - already posted on twitter! :smt003 Only joking. I wouldn't know how to tweet and have no desire to learn.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

I don't know how old you are Strawclearer, but I'm 78 and the City were never called Fosse in my day - I'm 78.
I did have a book "From Fosse to City".
They weren't Foxes either.
I echo all the other sentiments including the misfortune of having Sarries as my nearest club. Although I respect what them as a team, I can't love them because of the suspicion that they got there by cheating the system.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

MelChannerFan wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 am I don't know how old you are Strawclearer, but I'm 78 and the City were never called Fosse in my day - I'm 78.
I did have a book "From Fosse to City".
They weren't Foxes either.
I echo all the other sentiments including the misfortune of having Sarries as my nearest club. Although I respect what them as a team, I can't love them because of the suspicion that they got there by cheating the system.
The club was founded in 1884 as Leicester Fosse F.C. playing on a field near Fosse Road. They moved to Filbert Street in 1891, were elected to the Football League in 1894 and adopted the name Leicester City in 1919. Given that most of us don't recall much before our 3rd birthday, I would need to be at least 101 to remember them being called 'Leicester Fosse'.

It's possible I may have exaggerated. I do that a million times every day.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 pm Yep. When the best telly I got this weekend was the strictly final I knew I was in trouble. Totally empathise with this perspective.
lol, same here.

And good OP. I think it's part of our tribal instinct or perhaps a natural need for competition.

It's funny though I follow NFL a lot but don't really have a team.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

That said I think people can take it all too seriously - whether at the match, on social media or on phone in's.

You have to have some perspective.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The first match I saw anything of at Welford Road was from the top deck of a Midland Red bus, the bus was stuck in crowds of Anti Apartheid demonstrators as the Midlands were playing South Africa. According to wiki, it was on bonfire night in 1960, I can't remember, but I do remember being enthralled, I had been to see the City at Filbert Street with an uncle and my Grandad played cricket on the odd occasion for Leicestershire's second XI , so I too have a long association with the counties sport(the nearest I got to representing it was a 4th place in a cross country trials race).
I seem to remember you got used to Leicester teams always losing, I certainly remember the soccer team yo-yoing in and out of the first division and recall reading the merc and the "buff" and seeing that Tigers and the cricket weren't a lot better either. I vividly remember the football fans trains going past the back of our house on the Great Central on their way to Wembley twice for finals and also remember they lost them both. I did see Ray Illingworth lift the sunday league trophy at Grace Road and I was at Twickers when the Tigers won their first of three in a row John Player Cups, but mostly I remember thinking that one day we would be as successful as Coventry at Rugby, or Spurs at soccer. Patience was something you needed back in the day to feel the warm glow of reflected success, but I am confident that those winning ways will return to Welford Road, just maybe not until next season though if I'm honest with myself. Top 4 is I feel a certainty and after that who knows, all the premiership sides have shown vulnerability.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.