What did you expect?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

What did you expect?

Post by ellis9 »

Leicester Tigers won many trophies by being forward dominated, physical and playing rugby in the right areas.

Wasps won their trophies by being forward dominated, physical and playing rugby in the right areas.

Saracens won trophies by being forward dominated, physical and playing rugby in the right areas.

Exeter Chiefs won last seasons Premiership title by being forward dominated, physical and playing rugby in the right areas.

When Cockerill was sacked and the club decided that playing "exciting", "easy on the eye" rugby was the way to go, I remember saying that this doesn't win trophies. Munster have got 9 points from their two games against us and not once do I remember them playing "exciting", "easy on the eye" rugby. What they did was be physical, and dominate us in the forwards. You'll notice that there's a trend happening here.

I love the fact we have some fantastic backs but we need to dominate in the forwards, be more physical and play rugby in the right areas. We need to wear the opposition down using the forwards, get in to the right areas and unleash the quality backs that we have.

The balance is all wrong currently.

It could take another season or two to get the right personnel in so that we can get the balance right. It was never really going to happen for us quickly when we are trying to completely change how we play the game to how we have always played it.

I was disappointed when MOC was appointed as coach but the signings he made in the backs and then the winning run we went on, he started to win me over slightly. However, he needs to get the balance right if we want to be successful. We need quite a big improvement in our forwards if we want to win anything.

As I say, this change and instant success was never really going to happen as quickly as many people want and expect.

I want us to win trophies more than anything but people need to realise it's not as easy as it once was and we still need to get used to how we want and need to play and this is not Harlem Globe Trotter style rugby. It is being forward dominated, being physical and playing rugby in the right areas.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: What did you expect?

Post by Big Dai »

Agreed. Plus you need leadership with the dog in it. Johnno and Cozza were not good leaders because they were Tigers. They were good leaders. Where's that now.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Sadly leaders like Johnno etc do not come along every year, they are one offs. That’s why England won the WC in 2003, with so many leaders from different clubs. I expected a reaction yesterday and physically we got one, the worrying thing was the discipline, which was frighteningly poor.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Forgot Deano! Deano off the pitch, johnno on it! As you say possibly a once in a lifetime combo. But where o where is the first name on the team sheet leader in this rabble?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 am Forgot Deano! Deano off the pitch, johnno on it! As you say possibly a once in a lifetime combo. But where o where is the first name on the team sheet leader in this rabble?
You know he's out of contract this Summer...

And we don't have a director of rugby...
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

For once I completely agree with you ellis.
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Yep, me too. RC was oldskool, but oldskool is what wins games, intensity, relentless forward play, a bit of dog when all is not right.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:01 am
Big Dai wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 am Forgot Deano! Deano off the pitch, johnno on it! As you say possibly a once in a lifetime combo. But where o where is the first name on the team sheet leader in this rabble?
You know he's out of contract this Summer...

And we don't have a director of rugby...
If you think that a Deano return is possible could you please supply me with the lottery numbers for the coming weekend as I think I'll have a very good chance of winning.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We have marched off in the wrong direction - we may have a fearsome front row but quite frankly from 4-7 we are weak.
Our second rows don't break the game line.
To much emphasis on fast mobile backs (yet in spite of those tall guys our line out is shocking) with no one there to turn the ball over or contest the rucks.

O'Connor probably arrived too late to have much say in recruitment for this season but we've been out-muscled too many times this season.

Let's not kid ourselves this was a vintage Munster side. We simply didn't compete for the ball or defend the mauls well enough to stop them. Just like Bath & Worcester again.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The old adage is right forwards win matches the backs decide by how much. Look after the ball keep it safe until you are two scores ahead then if you feel the need let the ten have it but give him a smack if he gives the ball away. When Cocker and MOC worked in tandem we were awarded a lot of penalty try's as the opposition succumbed to pressure, we are not now creating that pressure which is a shame because refs are more willing to award them, not waiting for four or five offences before going under the posts.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

A team game. Forwards winning good early ball for the backs to exploit the space created or stuffing it up the jumper and rolling over the opposition. Our forwards are incapable of either.
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

It used to be described as 'the forwards earn the right for the backs to go play rugby'!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We a had a really nice balance under Cockerill and O’Connor which won us a few Premierships and one European Cup final, they tried to replicate that with Mauger but he was too power-hungry and his attacking game plan was never exciting and relied on the speed of Betham or the footwork of Veainu. I believe we need a new modern version of Cockerill as a DOR and then O’Connor as HC and also a really good forward coach
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Also, unfortunately because we are the only club in England that is financially strong to abide by the salary cap so our squad, ie our pack, wasn’t going to be an overnight fix that’s why we made last minute 1 year deals with Baumann and Traynor. My guess and my hope is that next years signings will be tight 5 based with maybe one utility back (Mallinder 🤞) and a back up centre that won’t get injured
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think we need to make Toomua Captain!