Is O'connor up to the job??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Is O'connor up to the job??

Post by strawclearer »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:10 pm 1. Physicality.
a. We need at least one lock of international quality who is an enforcer type and weighs around the 19 stone mark to put some good old fashioned grunt into our scrums and rolling mauls in both attack and defence.
b. We still need an absolute beast of a number 8 in the Billy Vunipola, C J Stander, Nathan Hughes mould. We have recruited some very good footballers in Mapapalangi and Kalamafoni but neither regularly break the gain line. Being recruitment issues we may need to wait until next season to see them solved. In the meantime lets hope for a fit Genge to come back and carry for us. I also have some confidence that our new Aussie hooker will contribute well in this area.

5. Defensive organisation. This has been poor while Matt Toomua has been out of the team. I hope once he settles back in again this will improve though we do need a full time defence coach to take some pressure off MOC. This is both a recruitment and a coaching and practice issue so elements of it can be worked on right now.
(1) Totally agree that we need an 'enforcer' lock. As far as 8 is concerned - I still don't believe we have one! We've got three 6's in Williams, Mapapalangi and Kalamafoni. As he did for Gloucs, Kalamafoni can 'fill in' at 8 if necessary but I don't see it as his best position.

(5) The defence was last 'organised' when Anthony Allen played 12. I have no stats to support this and I'm sure other factors were involved (such as Geordan at 15) but, when AA was on the teamsheet, you just knew the defence in the backline would be solid. Matt Toomua shows every sign imho of replicating this.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I too am disappointed by recent defeats but as has been said by others the decline in Tigers performance has been over a period of time and became steeper after the appointment of Aaron Mauger for whatever reason. MOC needs time to work changes, Malouf, May, Ford and I believe Holmes are welcome additions to our back line. Kalamafoni is good in the pack, Mapapalangi is a bit raw but I believe will improve as the season goes on. It will be interesting to see how our young players develop and are integrated into the match day squad. I agree one or two of the back up signings have not been up to the standard required, that should be an opportunity for young players to step up.
I believe we are playing better than we were at this stage last season, but we do need to get better still, it is too early to pass judgement, that come at the end of the season with a full verdict the season after. Change does not happen overnight!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I see that Saints have made Warren Gatland their target to replace Mallender. Good luck to them whatever you may think of Gatland, I admire Saints ambition to sign a truly world class DOR.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Who is the world class DOR?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Its not MOC and in IMHO Gatland is a world class head coach ( using the Tigers job descriptor of DOR )
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Nothing like a massive overreaction is there. End of the day if we had Forward parity with them we would've won. Building a pack will take time. We have taken steps in the right direction with the Tongans but are still short of a couple beefy locks, back rower and quality in the front row. Squad still needs restructuring. O'Connor has a clear idea and once the pack is ok we will have two very clear ways of winning games for me.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Stains to go to uncontested scrums on 55 minutes :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiger93 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:30 pm Nothing like a massive overreaction is there. End of the day if we had Forward parity with them we would've won. Building a pack will take time. We have taken steps in the right direction with the Tongans but are still short of a couple beefy locks, back rower and quality in the front row. Squad still needs restructuring. O'Connor has a clear idea and once the pack is ok we will have two very clear ways of winning games for me.
Yes - a welcome dose of sanity and realism!

[Ducks]
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:35 pm
Tiger93 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:30 pm Nothing like a massive overreaction is there. End of the day if we had Forward parity with them we would've won. Building a pack will take time. We have taken steps in the right direction with the Tongans but are still short of a couple beefy locks, back rower and quality in the front row. Squad still needs restructuring. O'Connor has a clear idea and once the pack is ok we will have two very clear ways of winning games for me.
Yes - a welcome dose of sanity and realism!

[Ducks]
I come on here and browse a heck of a lot and rarely comment but my god some of the comments! :smt044
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Coops wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 am
fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:11 pm IMO we miss a TRUE leader on the pitch. Tom Youngs is a decent bloke but does not have the ability to get the ref onside nor implement any changes in tactics that are required during the game. I don't actually have a name to put forward which probably means we are going to continue to struggle at least for the foreseeable future!
At any point yesterday evening whilst the penalty count was increasing and the ref was in his ear, did TY ever pull the team together and read the riot act?
No, exactly my point! Cole was obviously getting the refs full attention (rightly or not), so after a couple of penalties surely the sensible thing to do would be get him standing off and someone else go into the breakdown!
It's been noted before the Tom is a good player (not faultless), but just doesn't seem able to provide the proper leadership on field.
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

Even tho' I recognise that quality of coaching is a major factor in our relative decline over the past few years, he can only use the resources at his disposal so I have always argued that Cohen's obsession with developing the corporate side of the business at the expense of building up our quality player base is a critical factor in that decline.
I fully realise that Messrs. Ford, May and Toomua are class players but our pack has been 'ordinary' for far too long but, in today's Aviva and Champion's Cup games, we need our pack to be better than 'ordinary' if we are to compete at the highest level. It's not that long ago that we were 'top table,' but, as evidenced by yesterday's indiscipline by certain forwards, coaching to create higher rugby IQ would not go amiss. Wishful thinking?
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

I dont think the issue with our second row is a size one as some of the others have suggested, but they seem to be lacking in physicality and they generally aren't offering a lot. It will be interesting to see how MOC sorts this out as it is turning into a major problem and we clearly need to make a quality signing. I am a bit surprised that Wells has dropped to the bottom of the pecking as I think he's the only one that has looked good this season.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As we spend up to the salary cap and have two marquee players (evidenced by company accounts) I fail to see how spending on schemes that hopefully will ensure the ability to continue financing the expenditure on the team can be blamed in any way for perceived short comings on the pitch. The cap limits us on the number and quality of our players, it is to be hoped that more will come through from our Academy and maybe we will obtain better players for the same money but we are assured that spending on capital projects does not affect spending on the team; I see no reason to doubt that.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Cohen has said previously that the finance for the Ground Development does not impact on the playing budget. The playing budget is totally separate and set aside for the playing side.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

After his 21 games MOC now has the worse win % of any coach since 1998! Reap what you sow!