Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Six Nations...

Post by biffer »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 am
ourla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 pm Looks like it will be between England and Ireland again.

Still not buying Scotland as contenders.
One thing you can be absolutely sure of is Scotland hosting England will be the focus of the 6 Nations for Scotland if they beat us at Murrayfield it will be seen as a successful 6 nations regardless of the rest of the results. So true contenders or not this is the one they will throw the kitchen sink at.
Whilst there's an element* of the Scotland support and media that think that way, most of us who follow rugby regularly, rather than just for the six nations, don't. If you offered me the choice of 1) wins v Wales, France and Italy or 2) wins v England and Italy, I'd take choice 1.

But as I said before, the injury gods have put the mockers on us. Currently 4/4 first choice LH props, 2/3 first choice hookers and 3/3 first choice TH props unavailable. We don't have the depth to cope with that. A 6N of disappointment beckons after so much optimism.

* note that I don't say this is a small element - trying to get fol to come to watch pro rugby in Scotland is difficult but slow progress is being made!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Saracens confirm that as a result of an injury sustained in Saturday’s European Rugby Champions Cup match against Ospreys, Billy Vunipola has fractured his forearm.

Well...that's not helped.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Not the end of the world Hughes and Simmonds ib great form. Makos shaky form worries me more
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Billy becoming for Saracens what Manu was or is for us. I think he needs to see the Witch Doctor.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Looks like jon Welsh will be starting TH who has played well with a good Falcons team and Reid at LH who played well against us a couple of weeks ago. With McCullum as back up on either side. Berghaan I think will only be banned for one week. Mcinally is the top hooker now so hopefully he stays fit. The front row is a major issue for Scotland but maybe if these remaining guys stay fit they can just hold the scrum long enough to launch the magic out wide.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 pm
biffer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:52 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 pm Here's a link if you want to see who's officiating for each 6N match...

http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index ... ents&id=58
Lacey for Scotland v France. How that man continues to get a gig as a ref is beyond my understanding.
You and me both. Witless and clueless. :smt013
A shoe-in to replace MoC then.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 pm Not the end of the world Hughes and Simmonds ib great form. Makos shaky form worries me more
Hughes is injured too isn't he?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 pm Not the end of the world Hughes and Simmonds ib great form. Makos shaky form worries me more
Isn't Hughes also injured?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 am Looks like jon Welsh will be starting TH who has played well with a good Falcons team and Reid at LH who played well against us a couple of weeks ago. With McCullum as back up on either side. Berghaan I think will only be banned for one week. Mcinally is the top hooker now so hopefully he stays fit. The front row is a major issue for Scotland but maybe if these remaining guys stay fit they can just hold the scrum long enough to launch the magic out wide.
Bhatti showed up well in the Autumn as well so I think he'll be on the bench with McCallum. Just need to make sure we hold on to the ball so there are very few scrums...
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Luke Hamilton is in the Scotland squad. Good for him. International rugby should help him get better and better.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42700730
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Spicer wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pm Luke Hamilton is in the Scotland squad. Good for him. International rugby should help him get better and better.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42700730
I think he'll go well in the Five Nations..........ok, Six Nations if you include Wales!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

"Manu Tuilagi will miss out on selection for the Six Nations after England head coach Eddie Jones told the injury-plagued centre to concentrate on recapturing his very best form at Leicester Tigers." Daily Torygraph
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm "Manu Tuilagi will miss out on selection for the Six Nations after England head coach Eddie Jones told the injury-plagued centre to concentrate on recapturing his very best form at Leicester Tigers." Daily Torygraph
Makes sense. He's way behind Joseph and Slade on current form and it makes sense to let him build back to his best at Tigers rather than bringing him back too early for England and heaping all that extra pressure on him when he is still making his way back to Premiership level performances.

EDIT: Mind you, if he does start to perform at regular Manu level, it would be hard for Jones to write him off for the whole of the 6N. He's be a tempting impact sub at the very least.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

If either Teo or Manu are deemed fit enough then at least one will go. 100%. At the moment its Manu. England need a power option desperately now with Vunipola absent and Genge not an option.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tiger93 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm If either Teo or Manu are deemed fit enough then at least one will go. 100%. At the moment its Manu. England need a power option desperately now with Vunipola absent and Genge not an option.
I don't doubt Manu is a big lump and hard to stop, but he's predictable and to the point of tackle, easy to defend against.

Rather have him at the club as the current England centres are doing just fine ta.