European Salary Cap

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

European Salary Cap

Post by Chobbsy »

There will never be parity for salary caps across Europe especially in France.

Just a question, would a salary cap just for the European tournaments work?

France can keep their cap for their League etc but adhere to a cap for Europe.

Surely this would present a level playing field (no pun intended)
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: European Salary Cap

Post by Roly »

Since quite a few teams are either allegedly breaking the salary caps anyway, it makes a mockery of having a salary cap in the first place.

Might as well scrap them.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 am There will never be parity for salary caps across Europe especially in France.

As in each player would get two contracts? If so they would just get paid £1m for the domestic league and £1 for European competitions.

Or do you mean you can spend up to £10m domestically, but you can only nominate players for your European squad that add up to £6m? Only registering a subset of the squad for European competition.

Would be a nightmare for injuries and registering new players part way through the competition
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 am There will never be parity for salary caps across Europe especially in France.

As in each player would get two contracts? If so they would just get paid £1m for the domestic league and £1 for European competitions.

Or do you mean you can spend up to £10m domestically, but you can only nominate players for your European squad that add up to £6m? Only registering a subset of the squad for European competition.

Would be a nightmare for injuries and registering new players part way through the competition
No not 2 contracts, you have a team total salary cap for Europe only, so all players registered will have to come within this cap, if you have injuries it is the same as it is now, you will have to get compensation to replace the injured player but the replacing player's salary would have to keep the team within the European cap
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Me thinks someone has been playing too many computer games
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Fact is, Leicester are no better than they were last year under Richard Cockerill. The issue is not coaching, it is the inability to maintain a strong squad due to other clubs breaking the salary cap and inflating player wage demands. The Tigers board had the opportunity to stop it from happening when the salary cap investigation was undertaken but they allowed it to be swept under the carpet.

You reap what you sow.

The salary cap is a joke.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't altogether agree with Roly in that I don't think the board had the opportunity to do much about the salary cap breaches. PRL decided that the results of the investigation be kept confidential and whether or not Tigers disagreed they were bound by the collective decision. For me as soon as the Marquee player rule was introduced the intention of the cap to maintain a level playing field the advantage went to the wealthy clubs particularly those with billionaire owners, two marquee players worsened the situation. PRL apparently legislated to avoid further breaches by increasing the cap to a level that only the richer teams could afford increasing player wages and thereby reducing squad sizes jeopardising the stability of existing teams and the future of the game.
Sorry Roly the salary cap is not a joke its becoming a tragedy.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:31 pm I don't altogether agree with Roly in that I don't think the board had the opportunity to do much about the salary cap breaches. PRL decided that the results of the investigation be kept confidential and whether or not Tigers disagreed they were bound by the collective decision. For me as soon as the Marquee player rule was introduced the intention of the cap to maintain a level playing field the advantage went to the wealthy clubs particularly those with billionaire owners, two marquee players worsened the situation. PRL apparently legislated to avoid further breaches by increasing the cap to a level that only the richer teams could afford increasing player wages and thereby reducing squad sizes jeopardising the stability of existing teams and the future of the game.
Sorry Roly the salary cap is not a joke its becoming a tragedy.
Only two clubs voted to continue the investigation into the cap.

One for certain was Gloucester, I can't remember who the other one was but it wasn't us.

It was about the same time Sarries were sniffing around Manu IIRC.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Perhaps the reason that Leicester Tigers didn't support the salary cap investigation was that they had paid over the cap in the past and didn't want it made public, they can be as creative towards payment of the cap as all the other teams, not only the ones with sugar daddies.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am told that what certain clubs said publicly was somewhat different to what they said in private all agreed to the privacy statement so any saying how they voted breached that agreement (if they told the truth) and therefore cannot be trusted.
I understand most clubs had been creative in interpreting ambiguity's in the regulations but two had pretty much ignored them by a substantial amount. Tigers were definitely not one of the two, we couldn't afford it!