Tigers v Munster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Munster

Post by Roly »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 am All sounds ok if the referee applies the same interpretations to both teams. I have always believed that referees have a difficult job but they should be answerable at the top level. Footage of all top level matches should be studied and in questionable circumstances the ref should have to justify why they penalised something or why they did not. Mistakes will be made but if there are too many or consistently the same errors are made the re-education or downgrading should be the result.
Robot Referees.

That's the solution.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 am
strawclearer wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:23 am As we've been discussing how well (or not) we played 'Sir' at Thomond Park, I think MO'C's comments in the Mercury bear repetition:

"My view is that the laws of the game are the laws of the game. There should be no room for interpretation from any official. Or any need for teams to adapt to the way a game is being refereed in the technical parts of the game.

Not rolling away is not rolling away.

Not releasing the tackled ball carrier is not releasing the tackled ball carrier.

Putting your hands in front of the ball at the breakdown is putting your hands in front of the ball at the breakdown.

They are laws. They can’t be adapted every week by different officials.

Of course, there are certain nuances between the ways certain referees go about their business, but some things are non-negotiable around the breakdown because it is such a crucial part of the game. And both not rolling away and releasing the tackled player are two of the most important non-negotiables."
The way he goes on, you'd think that 'gamesmanship' in rugby was a new phenomenon.

He can bleat about it all he likes, because it isn't going to change. Its about time he realised that if you can't beat them you have to join them. As has oft been said, if Tigers were anywhere near smart enough, they'd be taking the referee out of the equation and he wouldn't have any need to complain.
Give MOC a break, he is still finding things out!
Of course we have seen them outdone many times at the breakdown whilst he has been away at Leinster so I do understand your opinion to an extent, when they do single or even doubled up in support to the carrier they have been vulnerable individually at the breakdown against the strong sides and when they do put numbers into the breakdown they have come up short on numbers in resulting phase play.
He is addressing the situation though as quickly as time, money and injuries will allow!
Polota-Nau will add some much needed beef to the breakdown, we shall see what he can add to the process, but still Genge is a loss to the bigger picture and obviously the two big centres will take some time to return fully!
It's all been unfortunate timing in my opinion, injuries are to be expected but constantly having three and four big ones would damage any clubs prospects!
We have been denied seeing the best of it as yet and given the opportunity of a fairly fit squad it could all change, if it doesn't then I'm sure more changes will be introduced as time and money allows, but like Saracens currently I think we are denied seeing their best!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MOC wrote a good article in the Mercury, laws are laws but even if the letter of the law was followed Tigers would have still lost 20-10 so while I agree with MOC entirely I fail to see the point of us moaning about when we were second best at everything and it wasn't a close game
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm MOC wrote a good article in the Mercury, laws are laws but even if the letter of the law was followed Tigers would have still lost 20-10 so while I agree with MOC entirely I fail to see the point of us moaning about when we were second best at everything and it wasn't a close game
I guess it is a natural reaction to a loss to look for any self-satifying excuse(s) when there had been so much expectation? Leaking the number of trys that the Tigers have done over the past few games is IMO abysmal and against any quality side will be exploited to the full? Some suggest that if MattT and ManuT were playing all would be different in the Tigers world? I do not? IMO there is a distinct lack of depth in quality of players that have to step in when injuries occur? Until that is fixed the Tigers will struggle at AP and ECC levels to win a pot. MOC alludes to the Tigers ability at the breakdown etc so he knows what the problems are. Fixing them may take a while?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

The coaching team isnt good enough to fix it im afraid,harsh but true! Just look at the team Munster are assembling!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:25 pm The coaching team isnt good enough to fix it im afraid,harsh but true! Just look at the team Munster are assembling!
Ah yes contains Simon Zebo who threw a forward pass and was blatantly offside last week and Conor Murray who is world-class at milking an unavailable ball at the breakdown
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Is that you MOC? 😂😂😂 and i meant coaching team
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerCam wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm MOC wrote a good article in the Mercury, laws are laws but even if the letter of the law was followed Tigers would have still lost 20-10 so while I agree with MOC entirely I fail to see the point of us moaning about when we were second best at everything and it wasn't a close game
I guess it is a natural reaction to a loss to look for any self-satifying excuse(s) when there had been so much expectation? Leaking the number of trys that the Tigers have done over the past few games is IMO abysmal and against any quality side will be exploited to the full? Some suggest that if MattT and ManuT were playing all would be different in the Tigers world? I do not? IMO there is a distinct lack of depth in quality of players that have to step in when injuries occur? Until that is fixed the Tigers will struggle at AP and ECC levels to win a pot. MOC alludes to the Tigers ability at the breakdown etc so he knows what the problems are. Fixing them may take a while?
Matt T is a big loss TigerCam!
I consider 12 a vital position to a team, look around at the likes of Barritt for Sarries and Gopperth for Wasps, even 12T is doing it better for Gloucester with the right coaching guidance.
Toomua's absence in particular can't be dismissed, he isn't just a very good player, he is also a leader!
Last edited by BFG on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mercury are backing Jonny May to play at fullback. 🤔
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm Is that you MOC? 😂😂😂 and i meant coaching team
No Scott I'm not MOC in secret.

As for Munster's coaching team, can't really slag them off to be honest, van Graan was probably the Springboks only good coach (like Wells for England 10 years ago)
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Tomorrows team selection will be interesting. My betting is that if he;s fit Jonah Holmes will occupy the No, 15 shirt and perhaps we will see Matt Toomua back in the centre and Manu will be on the bench. Does anyone kmow the state of play on Ellis Genge?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'm guessing he wants to put those questions in the mind of the officials for the weekend and have them look at those aspects of Munster's game. Were we not playing them again this weekend I doubt he'd have mentioned it.

Noddy, Genge had shoulder surgery and won't be back until the new year, probably early February.

TigerCam, Toomua runs the defence when fit and does it well. Also gives Ford another playmaker in the backs to help him move the ball. We all saw how the midfield defence failed to press and the number of poor passes coming from Tait at 12 last weekend. Toomua is one of our key players this season.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm
Scott11 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:25 pm The coaching team isnt good enough to fix it im afraid,harsh but true! Just look at the team Munster are assembling!
and Conor Murray who is world-class at milking an unavailable ball at the breakdown
Didn't hurt Richie McCaw's career did it.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicester Tigers (v Munster Rugby, Welford Road, Sunday 5.30pm)

15 Mathew Tait
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Matt Toomua
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Kyle Traynor
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Mike Fitzgerald
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Valentino Mapapalangi
7 Mike Williams
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Logovi’i Mulipola
18 Chris Baumann
19 Dom Barrow
20 Luke Hamilton
21 Sam Harrison
22 Joe Ford
23 Nick Malouf

The boys are back in town!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 pm Leicester Tigers (v Munster Rugby, Welford Road, Sunday 5.30pm)

15 Mathew Tait
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Matt Toomua
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Kyle Traynor
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Mike Fitzgerald
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Valentino Mapapalangi
7 Mike Williams
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Logovi’i Mulipola
18 Chris Baumann
19 Dom Barrow
20 Luke Hamilton
21 Sam Harrison
22 Joe Ford
23 Nick Malouf
Better team than last week IMO, Great to see Manu & Toomua back
Last edited by kpj tiger on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.