Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

La Rochelle

Post by wellstiger »

Strewth.....
I remember when Tigers used to play like La Rochelle. Full of Vim and Vigour. Competed at everything. That's the way you beat the pest. I foresee a repeat performance at Ricoh.
Best game of Rugby over this fixture.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: La Rochelle

Post by TigerCam »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 am Strewth.....
I remember when Tigers used to play like La Rochelle. Full of Vim and Vigour. Competed at everything. That's the way you beat the pest. I foresee a repeat performance at Ricoh.
Best game of Rugby over this fixture.
A long memory WT?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 am Strewth.....
I remember when Tigers used to play like La Rochelle.
You must be about 90 years old then.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

O'Driscoll stated that the French should be playing like La Rochele and although that is true it's easier said than done
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

When? Lol
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

We may have dominated games but I don't recall us ever playing the all action Barbarians style rugby La Rochelle played. It's a wonderful little city that's rugby mad and great to see they've got the team and club they deserve.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Yeah we built our fearsome reputation on scrum dominance and an awesome pack. Not knocking it,give me a player running over his opponent over running around him any day of the week but bar Castres and a couple of worldies under Mauger its never been scintillating rugby. Even when on top of the pile under Cockers and MOC when we scored a lot of tries the majority were walk ins after relentless pressure. Which im not knocking either,Leinster became Europes best on a solid setpiece and relentless phase play and incredible ball retention which Exeter are mirroring. Forget the harlem globetrotters stuff you dont master these you wont win anything,Sarries became Englands best built on a defence and kick chase game. Rugby is a simple game and if you master the basics you will be a formidable team in your own right.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Ah yes - Old I may be . A generation or two may not have seen the free flowing rugby at WR which was built on the power of scrum, effective lineouts and wingers, that is now coming to the fore again in modern rugby.
La Rochelle have not re invented the wheel.However they do play with a passion and support for one another.

And yes I go back as far as the ABC teams and Belgrave Rugby Club. Neither dementia nor rose coloured glasses.
Kids --- they think they know it all........
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Probably just the latest 'boom and bust' French team. Can see them winning the Champions Cup this year and relegated from the Top 14 in three years!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

doublecarpet wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 am Probably just the latest 'boom and bust' French team. Can see them winning the Champions Cup this year and relegated from the Top 14 in three years!
That would be some boom and bust. Rochelle have only been a top flight French team for two seasons haven't they?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

They were promoted to the Top14 for the 2013/14 season and have made remarkable progress. This season I believe they are unbeaten at home and currently lead the Top14. I'd put a few quid on them winning it. The only club who could stand in their way are Montpellier. And why not win the European Cup too, although few clubs have done the double, Toulon being the last, under the guidance of Sir Jonny!
Semper in excretia