Genge out for two months

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Genge out for two months

Post by ourla »

Tigers head coach Matt O’Connor said: “We’ve had the results of the scan back and Ellis is going to need some minor surgery which will mean a couple of months out of the game.

Rizzo recalled.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Genge out for two months

Post by chewbacca »

Just great, arguably the two most influential players, Genge and Toomua both injured. As Albert King put it. If it wasn't for bad luck wouldn't have no luck at all.
I'm not cynical just experienced
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Waiting for the "MOC is doing something wrong in training, it's his fault" comments.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Gutted ,Bateman and Rizzo are very capable though. Rizzo our best scrummaging LH and Greg superb around the field. A very good partnership. Id start Rizzo at Munster ,hes our best scrummaging LH and in the tight and Bateman can be brought on when the game opens up. I thought it was a ridiculous call to release him anyway with questions over Mulipola fitness and the quality of Traynor and Bauman which wouldve enabled Bateman to play more on the tight.
Last edited by Scott11 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A huge loss, Genge was an absolute beast for us when we beat Munster last year but I’m confident in Mapapalangi and Kalamafoni to get us over the gainline. Bateman is a superb club player and Rizzo is an experienced international and a good scrummager
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

That's a real blow, injury didn't seem to be too bad when it happened. Glad to see Rizzo called back, Traynor and Baumann look way off the required AP standard, hope they will improve with time.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Just when one is back another is lost for a spell.
I think it'll take a huge slice of good fortune to ever have a full strength squad fit and available!
Seemed to be moving a shoulder around before the incident, makes you wonder do these things just happen in a moment or was it coming!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Just about to stuff his face on Professional Master Chef at Twickers
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:47 pm Waiting for the "MOC is doing something wrong in training, it's his fault" comments.
Since everybody knows Genge was injured during a match, you'd have to be pretty dull to even suggest it.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
123HEAVE

Post by 123HEAVE »

Just shows the strain players bodies go under, especially those in the front 5! Genge is only 22 and is already having shoulder surgery..... Fingers crossed it won't be a recurring issue!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

123HEAVE wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 pm Just shows the strain players bodies go under, especially those in the front 5! Genge is only 22 and is already having shoulder surgery..... Fingers crossed it won't be a recurring issue!
Amen to that - and welcome to the forum! Love the 'handle' (as us kids...sorry...kidz say. 123HEAVE - very good! :smt023 )
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 am
ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:47 pm Waiting for the "MOC is doing something wrong in training, it's his fault" comments.
Since everybody knows Genge was injured during a match, you'd have to be pretty dull to even suggest it.
Yes I know. It didn't stop people doing it for the last few seasons though did it?!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I suppose Matera,among others,was lying about the fighting and beasting in training sessions then. Our legendary midweek training ""matches" after a loss are rugbys worse kept secret!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm
Roly wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 am
Yes I know. It didn't stop people doing it for the last few seasons though did it?!
I'm sure they did make a point of it - but since those injuries actually happened in training, it was probably justified....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

I may be incorrect here, but if I recall correctly, Ellis was tackled rather highly and clumsily by Ashley Johnson and seemed to be out of sorts afterwards. I haven't seen many replays of this since, but that seems to have been the point at which the injury occurred. I have seen Johnson do this before, use his considerable size and bulk in a clumsy way and he should have been warned for the high tackle and if not carded.

I know that I, like many on here, do have the rose tinted specs on more often than not, but we seem to be on the wrong end of high and dangerous tackles more than our opposition. Ellis and Johnson are both big units and will be used to collisions during extensive training sessions, but these collisions are unlikely to be high or clumsy as experienced in the matches.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!