Wasps v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wasps v Tigers

Post by Scott11 »

TY nuts and bolts is his throwing and its been awful for a long time! Ford was poor too,unbelievably good ball at times but consistently made the wrong choice. In fact our decision making as a team was poor which leads me to believe we need a proper captain ,break the bank for POM!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Tom Youngs threw two bad throws one of which resulted in a try for Wasps, otherwise he had a good game. Do Thacker or McGuigan offer any more over all? Probably not but on current form Hartley is much better and obviously so is George.

The new Aussie hooker will be a bonus.

As for Ford having a bad game.... that is rubbish, he was brilliant 90% of the time, the 10 has so many decisions to make in a game, nobody not even Carter will get them all right!!
Soggypitch
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

He got scragged twice(?) when he made a wrong decision but other than that he was very good. I must admit I was one of skeptical ones when Ford re-signed, but the two areas of significant weakness that he had last season have all but vanished - kicking is right up there and I've only seen him end up on his ass from an attempted tackle once! :smt023
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

one thing i will say though,is there a better quartet of wingers at any other AP club? Big decisions for MOC,imo Holmes has to play,the best running lines since a prime Chris Ashton,really rate this kid! Thoughts?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 pm one thing i will say though,is there a better quartet of wingers at any other AP club? Big decisions for MOC,imo Holmes has to play,the best running lines since a prime Chris Ashton,really rate this kid! Thoughts?
Most reasonable un-apocalyptic comment you have made in a while, maybe next week I’d go with May and Malouf with Holmes at fullback
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agreed on the above, Holmes has to play at 14. 5 tried in 4 games and has the ability to pop up anywhere in support and score. Given Tigers in general are poor in running support lines in my mind is a must starter. Against Bath especially was also strong in defence and had the pace against Wasps to get away from Wade.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:59 pm TY nuts and bolts is his throwing and its been awful for a long time! Ford was poor too,unbelievably good ball at times but consistently made the wrong choice. In fact our decision making as a team was poor which leads me to believe we need a proper captain ,break the bank for POM!

I 100% disagree with everything you've said.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Tom Youngs is miles below the form of three years ago but for me has been playing better lately than he was in September. However, the Aussie will soon be playing which strengthens us immensely. That said, anybody going off on one, shouting how bad Tom was yesterday, has lost the plot. He's been miles worst without comment and personally I thought he was at least average yesterday if not better. I wish the bloke luck.

Winger wise, it's a no brainier for me. Holmes and May. Malouf could be great for us at 13 and to be fair the club have always said he's a work in progress. Let's make this at 13. We are short of class there whilst the greatest rugby player in the World is injured. :smt002

As for a captain or lack of one. It's killing us. We were spoilt for years but at present we just don't have a proper on field leader. A good captain would have prevented some of these close defeats we've suffered in the past season or so. We just can't play a ref these days.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Lots of people blaming the referee (again), but let's put it like this, if you are playing in such a manner that the odd dodgy call by the referee makes a difference, then you aren't playing well enough.

13 tries conceded in 3 matches isn't good enough if a team is to challenge the top two teams, let alone for honours. The lineout continues to be poor on Tigers own throw in. Tigers are desperately missing Tomooa at 12....speaks volumes for the lack of strength in depth generally. Wasps showed the benefit of having two playmakers at 10 and 12.

This match was lost for the same reason that Tigers lost the semi final last season - also with a last minute try. Poor game management. Wasps have got one of the best running back lines in the league and what do Tigers do? Keep kicking the ball to them. When Tigers kept the ball tight they made progress but aimless hoofs downfield inviting them to run back - crazy.

For those who like to bang on about 'just losing to Wasps by a few points, so there's every chance of beating them next time' - that's five times Tigers have 'just lost to Wasps' on the bounce.

Already sixth in the league (as predicted) with Saracens and then Chiefs to come. Merry. 'kin. Christmas.
Last edited by Roly on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Roly wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 am Lots of people blaming the referee (again), but let's put it like this, if you are playing in such a manner that the odd dodgy call by the referee makes a difference, then you aren't playing well enough.

13 tries conceded in 3 matches isn't good enough if a team is to challenge the top two teams, let alone for honours. The lineout continues to be poor on Tigers own throw in. Tigers are desperately missing Tomooa at 12....speaks volumes for the lack of strength in depth generally. Wasps showed the benefit of having two playmakers at 10 and 12.

This match was lost for the same reason that Tigers lost the semi final last season - also with a last minute try. Poor game management. Wasps have got one of the best running back lines in the league and what do Tigers do? Keep kicking the ball to them. When Tigers kept the ball tight they made progress but aimless hoofs downfield inviting them to run back - crazy.

For those who like to bang on about 'just losing to Wasps by a few points, so there's every chance of beating them next time' - that's five times Tigers have 'just lost to Wasps' on the bounce.

Already sixth in the league (as predicted) with Saracens and then Chiefs to come. Merry. 'kin. Christmas.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 am Lots of people blaming the referee (again), but let's put it like this, if you are playing in such a manner that the odd dodgy call by the referee makes a difference, then you aren't playing well enough.

Saracens and then Chiefs to come in the league. Merry. 'kin. Christmas.
You are full of Christmas cheer Roly, very positive stuff!
Leicester can win more matches if they play the right way and in the right areas, the potential is there!
Kicking the ball back is fine, just as long as the defensive set is good enough, the two aren't working well enough in tandem presently.
Leicester have shown the ability to carry the ball up the middle but any team will struggle to do that from their own half, they will run out of steam, Leicester are most effective when carrying the ball up the middle when attacking in the oppositions half!
Leicester need to play a bit wider from their own half, that is where they are making breaks, I wanted to see Mapapalangi coming on the blindside of rucks sucking in the like of Wade but they didn't do it enough, the backs and backrows a can be a big assist in playing it upfield out wider!
I also thought Leicester made the mistake of turning down several penalty kicks at goal, to me those are potential three pointers ticking over on the score board, or if missed then it's a breather for the forwards and then Wasps have to kick out possession back to Leicester from their own 22 and Leicester can go again, George Ford needs to show more tactical leadership in that area in my opinion!
Turning down goal kicks has been the biggest mistake in recent matches, and if they start doing it right then they have the potential to win matches in a way that currently suits them!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 am

Leicester can win more matches if they play the right way and in the right areas, the potential is there!
Kicking the ball back is fine, just as long as the defensive set is good enough, the two aren't working well enough in tandem presently.
Leicester have shown the ability to carry the ball up the middle but any team will struggle to do that from their own half, they will run out of steam, Leicester are most effective when carrying the ball up the middle when attacking in the oppositions half!
Leicester need to play a bit wider from their own half, that is where they are making breaks, I wanted to see Mapapalangi coming on the blindside of rucks sucking in the like of Wade but they didn't do it enough, the backs and backrows a can be a big assist in playing it upfield out wider!
I also thought Leicester made the mistake of turning down several penalty kicks at goal, to me those are potential three pointers ticking over on the score board, or if missed then it's a breather for the forwards and then Wasps have to kick out possession back to Leicester from their own 22 and Leicester can go again, George Ford needs to show more tactical leadership in that area in my opinion!
Turning down goal kicks has been the biggest mistake in recent matches, and if they start doing it right then they have the potential to win matches in a way that currently suits them!
Like I said, poor game management.

You hint that I'm being negative and then write 500 words on what Tigers are doing poorly. Its hypocritical.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Roly wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 am

Five on the bounce may be true but four of those games have been played at the Ricoh!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 am

Like I said, poor game management.

You hint that I'm being negative and then write 500 words on what Tigers are doing poorly. Its hypocritical.
It's not hypocrisy, just the difference between us currently, I possess more ability to take positives out of the negatives!
It's not the end of the world, it's only a game and nothing that canno't be attempted to correct!
It's easy to bang on about what is wrong but I am more interested in you telling us how to put it right!
Btw simply blaming "game management" is a bit of a cop out in my opinion, yes I have done it on occasions also but it could mean hundreds of things all interlinked in cause with something else!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

"I possess more ability to take positives out of the negatives!". Fine if you did, but you didn't really did you.

How is blaming game management a cop out? Poor game management effectively cost Tigers the match.

I didn't just blame game management either, it was a decisive factor, but it wasn't the only reason.