Matt Smiths disallowed try

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Smiths disallowed try

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm The reason for not giving the try was "he is not in control of the ball, it's a knock on". I have no idea why this was said as that isn't a law. There just has to be downward pressure with the arm or hand. It looks to me like there was downward pressure with his arm, so a try should have been awarded.
It appears that it isn't in the law but is a "directive" that there must be "control". Which is of course entirely subjective.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ourla wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:27 pm
ellis9 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm The reason for not giving the try was "he is not in control of the ball, it's a knock on". I have no idea why this was said as that isn't a law. There just has to be downward pressure with the arm or hand. It looks to me like there was downward pressure with his arm, so a try should have been awarded.
It appears that it isn't in the law but is a "directive" that there must be "control". Which is of course entirely subjective.
As Steve Diamond may have said, They are making it up!
I'm not cynical just experienced
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:27 pm
In that case, it wasn't a try.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TBH this is one of those times I yearn for simpler days when you couldn't fiddle with the ball once engaged over a tackle, when a ball was 'out' it was fair game, when 'on the floor' was out of the game, and scrum feeding got penalised. Some developments in the game have been excellent (e.g. only kicking out on the full from inside the 22) and some (experimental laws, the proliferation of 'directives') have been pants. This is a nice example of where 99.9% of the time a try would be given, bit like the shenanigans that goes on when a pack rumbles over and we have interminable replays to see if someone in defence had their fingertip under it (as opposed from the attacker being turned on their back). I know you have to take the rough with the smooth, but sometimes....... :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.