Tigers v Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Worcester

Post by JP14 »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm Tuilagi would be nowhere near my 23!
Against Worcester I think Tigers could give him a shot on the bench
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am
I'm not so sure. Worcester is a potential banana skin and Tigers don't want to be at home to Mister Cock-Up.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Officials for the game:

Referee: Greg Macdonald
Assistant referees: Jack Makepeace, Simon McConnell
TMO: Mark Lewis
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 pm 1 Bateman
2 Youngs
3 Cilliers (hopefully)
4 Fitzgerald
5 Barrow/Kitchener
6 Williams
7 Evans
8 Mapapalangi/O’Connor/Tuilagi
9 Simmons
10 J Ford
11 Thompstone
12 Owen
13 Smith
14 Malouf
15 Holmes/Veainu

If Mapapalangi isn’t available I would have Tuilagi or O’Connor at 8 and if he is available have Barrow and Fitzgerald together because Mapapalangi is a good line out forward and we won’t need Kitchener. I think Simmons deserved his chance, I thought that Harrison was a bit slower than usual with his passing and his box-kicking was too short.
We need the strongest team available, we don't want to end up like Saints, plus if we can we want a win with a bonus point

Just because it is Worcester we cannot be complacent.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I see "Sir" is Greg McDonald who performed so well in the Anglo Welsh game against Bath.

Make of that what you will
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Tigers v Worcester Warriors (Welford Road, 3pm)
Referee: Greg Macdonald (5th Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Jack Makepeace & Simon McConnell.
TMO: Keith Lewis.
Citing Officer: John Byett

Leicester Tigers have won their last six Aviva Premiership Rugby fixtures – their best run in the tournament since season 2013-14. Tigers have lost only one of their six home games in all competitions this season: 23-27 to Bath in round 1 of Premiership Rugby.

Worcester Warriors climbed off the bottom of the Aviva Premiership Rugby table for the first time since round 1 with their 30-15 victory at home to Northampton Saints on Saturday. The Warriors have not won away from home in Premiership Rugby since a trip to Harlequins in March 2016.

Worcester have beaten Leicester just twice in their history, both at Sixways, in Premiership Rugby in 2005 and 2008. The Warriors have visited Welford Road on fourteen previous occasions since their first in the Midland Counties Cup in 1895, and have lost them all.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am
Sorry JP he is no where near good enough for premiership rugby. It’s all very well saying put him on the bench but if there was a match ending injury 5 minutes in to one of the starting back row, that could potentially cost the match
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 pm Sorry JP he is no where near good enough for premiership rugby. It’s all very well saying put him on the bench but if there was a match ending injury 5 minutes in to one of the starting back row, that could potentially cost the match
I wouldn't called Baumann premiership standard either but injury and international unavailability will mean that he is probably on the bench this Saturday.

I respect your opinion but I do believe that Tuilagi Jr deserves his chance, maybe not against Worcester but at some point during this premiership season
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 pm Sorry JP he is no where near good enough for premiership rugby. It’s all very well saying put him on the bench but if there was a match ending injury 5 minutes in to one of the starting back row, that could potentially cost the match
I wouldn't called Baumann premiership standard either but injury and international unavailability will mean that he is probably on the bench this Saturday.

I respect your opinion but I do believe that Tuilagi Jr deserves his chance, maybe not against Worcester but at some point during this premiership season
I respect your opinion too and that is what forums are about, I just feel he is so far off other back rowers of his age it’s scary
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm I respect your opinion too and that is what forums are about, I just feel he is so far off other back rowers of his age it’s scary
Nick Easter was a slow developer didn't really hit the spotlight till 26 and he was one of England's best Number 8s and was unfortunate to be dropped by Lancaster. The only other back-rower I can think of that is the same age is Zach Mercer who has had loads of exposure with the England U20s and the premiership whereas Tuilagi is a recent convert to the back-row from prop
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Spicer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 pm Why wasn't Veaniu playing for Tonga? Surely they don't have better full backs/wingers. Unless they're trailing people.

Sorry if this has already been done.
Ironically last few weekends it was another Tiger at fullback, Pakalani.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

All 5 retained by Eddie Jones so - congrats to them but no Genge for the Warriors game.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP, Simmons at Exeter, Wills at Wasps, the Curry boys, Underhill, that’s without thinking too hard.
Take you point about Easter, but these days late developers are unusual, the u20s is almost a proving ground now.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm I respect your opinion too and that is what forums are about, I just feel he is so far off other back rowers of his age it’s scary
Nick Easter was a slow developer didn't really hit the spotlight till 26 and he was one of England's best Number 8s and was unfortunate to be dropped by Lancaster. The only other back-rower I can think of that is the same age is Zach Mercer who has had loads of exposure with the England U20s and the premiership whereas Tuilagi is a recent convert to the back-row from prop
Tom Youngs was a latecomer too, also due to switching positions. If his surname wasn't Tuilagi we wouldn't even be discussing him, he'd just be another academy player who will fail or succeed. As it is, his surname draws extra attention - both criticism and praise.

Time will tell. Plenty of Tuilagi's have come through Tigers, some make it (Henry, Freddie, Alesana, Manu) and stay, and others are shipped off when it's clear they weren't quite good enough (Anitelea, Vavae). I don't see any reason to worry that the latest one will be treated any different.

I agree with those who think he's not ready for the Premiership yet, but he's worth a couple of years more of investment.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Think the jury will be out on Fred T for a year or so - frankly think it takes a while to fill out into a blunderbuss role, not as long for a BOC type.
We have to throw the kitchen sink at Wuss, a 5 pointer would be set against the big boys over the Xmas period where we might only pick up 2 LBPs and a 4 pointer.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.