Matt O'Connor

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt O'Connor

Post by JP14 »

Scott11 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 am I attach not one iota of blame to AM for our demise,not one little bit! It was nice to actually see a player smile once Cockers left and AM was slowly turning it around so who knows. Very easy copout blaming Mauger!
Yes but we still getting beaten heavily by Top 4 teams under Mauger he also couldn't balance forwards play with backs but MOC seems to have done so however a point about Leicester's current ball carrying tactics.

In the middle of the field forwards need to be running on to the ball more to break the gain line and then when we're close to the try line then the forwards could pick and go in a multiple phases before scoring
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott11 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 am I attach not one iota of blame to AM for our demise,not one little bit! It was nice to actually see a player smile once Cockers left and AM was slowly turning it around so who knows. Very easy copout blaming Mauger!
Strange that you rated Mauger so highly when it was a Tigers of old appointment. I thought you said the club needed to stop the incestuous appointments which is why you were against MOC being appointed.

I still firmly believe the appointment of Mauger was the start of our problems and one that cost Cockerill his job.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

MOC has been a very shrewd appointment, make no mistake Leicester were in disarray despite their relatively good squad on paper.
Mauger's tactics were great against weaker sides when Leicester could flat track bully, against very strong sides it became laughable!
MOC has brought some reality back to proceedings with a more tactically sensible approach and is slowly building the areas required on top of what is already good to make Leicester a more clinical side.
I sort of agree with ourla though in that we've a way to go yet!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I love the way Tigers now play with a smile on their faces, full credit to all coaching staff.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Yes Ellis not Cockers fault at all πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott11 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm Yes Ellis not Cockers fault at all πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Not at all. A mistake of his was not getting rid of Mauger when he tried to take control.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Not biting Ellis,you keep believing what you want to. Others know better!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'm not trying to get a bite from anyone. I'm just stating my opinion.

From what I know, Mauger tried to take full control which isn't what he was brought in for.
Last edited by ellis9 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

ellis9 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm I'm not trying to get a bite from anyone. I'm just staying my opinion.

From what I know, Mauger tried to take full control which isn't what he was brought in for.
Please share this information you have of mauger leading a revolution to overthrow King Cockers
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BigChris wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 pm
Roly wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:21 am
fortysix wrote: ↑Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm And no one mentions Manu.

If he comes back fit and firing on all 12 cylinders, then we will fear no one
Disagree.

One man does not make a team and it was the reliance on one player, structuring the team around that one player and the fixation on stop-gap replacements for that player that was one of the reasons RC was shown the door.

Tuilagi is not the saviour of the team.
I think you horribly misquoted the op here Roly (quelle surprise).
The sentiments were that Manu would be the cherry on the icing on the cake...
No, the OP was very clear in its naivety.
β€œIt is no use saying, β€˜We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TheRock wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 pm
ellis9 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm I'm not trying to get a bite from anyone. I'm just staying my opinion.

Please share this information you have of mauger leading a revolution to overthrow King Cockers
From what I was told, not long after he had been brought in to get the backs firing, he wanted to be in charge of the whole team, which was clearly Cockerill's job and not what Mauger was employed for.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

You would believe anything Ellis as long as your precious Cockers wasn't to blame! Get over it,he's gone and good riddance he was slowly destroying our great club! Don't forget we all have our little sources and I've been told that the vast majority of the players were ecstatic when Cockers was binned,it doesn't take a genius to work that out though just looking at the players smiling faces!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Both cockers and Mauger lost certain players, Mauger certainly lost the senior players.

It’s laughable to think Mauger is completely free of any blame for some of the spnakings we where handed.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Be it a happy coincidence of circumstances with players returning from long term injury, shrewd signings, coaching with a different emphasis I know not but the end result is a brand of rugby that's so much more enjoyable than the previous couple of years. I think it shows in the players too and long may it continue.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Funny how folk conveniently forget the two bath destructions and the LI home loss where fans were booing as well as a group stage European exit BEFORE Mauger came back,the Cockers rot set in before Mauger fact!